Equal Rights (1 Viewer)

jasonl55

Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I do not want to discuss whether gay marriage should be legal, if pro athletes should come out or anything like that. What I would like to discuss is why do people say it is a matter of equal rights?

Everyone in the U.S. has the same right to marry. The restrictions apply to everyone equally. So why is it that the pro-gay marriage crowd keeps using equal rights?

I do not want to discuss whether gay marriage should be legal, if pro athletes should come out or anything like that. What I would like to discuss is why do people say it is a matter of equal rights?

Everyone in the U.S. has the same right to marry. The restrictions apply to everyone equally. So why is it that the pro-gay marriage crowd keeps using equal rights?

Straight people have the right to marry who they want, those that they are attracted to. Gay people do not have that right.

So if Judaism was the only religion that was legal in the United States you'd be okay with that because everybody had an equal right to practice it or not?

Really?

David this isn't about religion. I do not care what people do in their personal lives. I just find it shortsighted to use equal rights when the rules apply evenly to everyone.

When I think of equal rights I think back to MLK Jr. and a true rights movement.

This isn't about whether gay marriage should be legal. I am questioning the PR behind using equal rights.

In terms of the law, marriage is a contract between two people that bestow specific rights about taxation, insurance benefits, hospital visitations, and a huge number of other things. It's discriminatory to dictate which citizens can enter into these state recognized contracts.

Then why not use Marriage Equality and use that as the PR to the movement?

David this isn't about religion.

I'm just following your logic about equality. The example could be anything.

"Any customer can have a car painted any colour he wants so long as it is black."

David I get your point. I guess I was more focused on the campaign behind equal rights. If they used Marriage Rights then I wouldn't be concerned.

Marriage of any variety shouldn't be "legal." Why should ANYONE, straight or gay, have to ask the Government for permission in order to engage in a social contract?

In some religions and cultures its common to have multiple husbands or wives. its not allowed in this country. actually you can go to prison for it. Why is there no out cry.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom