40 yd 4.53
20 yd 2.59
10 yd 1.61
20 yd shuttle 3.98
cone drill 6.69
reps 20
vert 30 1/2
broad 10'0

Martin is on the smaller side but his speed is close to elite while his shuttle and cine times are elite.

From a measurables stand point his only knock is his size but despite that he put up 8.5 sacks and 18 TFLs at Nebraska this past year

Here is a good write up on his strengths and weaknesse that sums Martin up nicely.

Eric Martin Scouting Report: NFL Outlook for Nebraska OLB | Bleacher Report

"Intangibles, Character and Injuries

Eric Martin seems like a pretty normal person off the field with just one citation on his record for failure to report backing into a parked vehicle. Martin was also never suspended for off-the-field issues.

He has missed a game for an on-field hit, but it was just a one-time thing. He was also a game captain for the Cornhuskers.

System ( - )

In college, Eric Martin was used primarily as a 4-3 defensive end. He was rarely used in coverage and was told to set the edge and rush the passer. While he was effective in this role, it makes it hard to believe that he wasn't asked to do more from a two-point stance. With his athleticism, he could have been an exceptional linebacker if given a shot there in the college ranks.

Pass Coverage ( - )

Pass coverage isn't the key of Eric Martin's game. However, it's more due to inexperience than actual talent. He rarely had any dropbacks into coverage, and when he did do anything in coverage, it was on screens and on plays in the flats. He isn't effective at getting his hands up in the passing game on pass rushes either.

Pass Rush ( + )

As far as pass rush is concerned, this is easily the strongest part of his game. He can use his smaller, quicker frame similar to Robert Mathis of the Colts. He gets great leverage on bigger linebackers and can convert his speed into power effectively in a bull rush.

He reads blocking schemes effectively and can create pressure from either side of the field. He would be a very unique fit if he could transfer his abilities with his hand in the dirt into a more standing role. It would allow the NFL team who brings him in to play him in both an end and linebacker spot.

Against the Run ( + and - )

He sets the edge effectively on either side of the ball and uses his leverage to push the tackles that he goes up against back into the play.

However, he tends to overpursue at times and doesn't have the discipline to stick with the zone read effectively. Other than that, he's a very good defensive end against the run, and as a linebacker, he could learn the patience and discipline it takes to be even better.

Tackling ( + )

Eric Martin is about as sure of a tackler as any player in the draft. He also shows ability to knock the ball out of the opposing players' hands and hits like a Mack truck. He rarely misses any tackles when he goes one-on-one with a ball-carrier. Expect him to have the same kind of success as a linebacker in the pros tackling players due to the pop that he can deliver.

Use of hands ( + )

There's two words that come to mind when watching Eric Martin's hand usage: violent and intelligent.

He plays games with the offensive linemen he engages with and uses the great leverage to his advantage. His speed-to-power conversion is shown in his hands more than anywhere else as he can bull rush and rip better than any player in this year's draft at linebacker.

Future Role and Scheme Versatility

Martin projects best as a 3-4 outside linebacker or a 4-3 outside linebacker who would be in a heavy blitzing role that on third downs could put his hand in the dirt as an end. Ideally, he fits in well in a multiple front and formation defensive scheme where he will continually get after the quarterback and run blitz most of the time. He'll also be used on special teams, which was his true strength in college."

Chase Thomas and Kevin Reddick are our UDFA steal but you can't call them under the radar players. Eric Martin is one of those under the radar signing who could quickly turn into a huge steal for us.

I believe given a year to learn his new position on the practice squadhe has all the tools to be future impact player.

Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android

On tape Eric Martin looks like the Tasmanian Devil! He is a ferocious hitter and is all over the field! What impressed me the most about his game tape were his open field tackles on special teams, damn!

I saw the title of this thread and originally thought it was about old reliable #84.

On tape Eric Martin looks like the Tasmanian Devil! He is a ferocious hitter and is all over the field! What impressed me the most about his game tape were his open field tackles on special teams, damn!
SPecial teams play will be critical for those last few backup spots-so this puts him ahead of the game. I have a feeling we'll be keeping a few extra LBers for these spots.

bornnraisedwhodat said:
Thanks for the info OP. I need to find some footage of this kid.

If you could post some videos it would be most appreciated. Its hard for me to on my phone.

He looks like a much faster James Harrison man I can't wait for camp to start

I had no idea this dude came to the Saints. I have a good feeling about the LB's for our 3-4. The defense will surprise some people IMO.

Starting to think he has a better shot than Chase Thomas does

I think Eric sticks b4 chase does. His only knock is his height..and he doesn't have particularly long arms to set the edge. Yet he is still a very very very good passrusher and if im ont mistaken hes being looked@ as a SOLB. He has comparable measurables to Victor Butler but his timed speed/agility/movement skills are all better.

Id like to see him stick as a WILB if he can learn to digest the playbook. Learning curve his high but were in a 3-4 now so we will probably keep a lot of LB's.

I hope he makes it......according to collegefootballmetrics he was a top 5 olb that came out that no one was giving attention. Even mentioned him in the "sleepers thread" hours b4 the draft...as well as Rufus Johnson and imagine we got BOTH of them.

Should be interesting. IF he is albe to make a brooks reed like transition to the inside he has the fire that range and hitting ability to be absolutely forceful in close quaters.

if he makes the team, he is definitely going to have to go by a nickname for us old timers. I too thought this was going to be a where are they now thread.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom