Last year's Eric McCoy draft trade details? {Title edit} (1 Viewer)

This.

That chart is a good tool for evaluating draft picks, but it's not something used to evaluate players. What determines how good the deal was is how well the player performs on the field. No one would want the Saints to trade a couple first round and second round picks this year to move up and draft Tua. That's not a good use of draft picks unless of course Tua turns into a top 5 in the league elite QB. Then it's a fantastic choice because those players are hard to come by.

I think you need combine the chart with your own draft board. Or maybe you just use your draft board to determine value. Let's say they rated McCoy first round grade, when he dropped to the second round, they saw the value to trade up, because they didn't have many players after him rated highly, at least not players in positions where they lacked depth. Just like they did when Kamara fell. From the Saints perspective, they'd surrender two chances at late second-third round talent to get a guy who they consider to be first round talent.

For future picks , you don't subtract a round, you just assume worst case of the current round. It would be #62 + #202 + #64(which ended up being #56) for #48 + #116. So 284 + 11 + 270 (value of #64) = 563 points to Miami and 482 points to Saints. So it was a slight overpay according to the chart but it worked out big time.

I am willing to bet teams have a point component that gets factored in based on where they have the player ranked on their draft board

I am sure Ireland has some sort of point system that factors in the position of the target player and where they are ranked on the draft board so that when they totaled up the points it wasnt 563 to 482

Maybe not, but it sounds right to me since he seems to have this down to a science

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom