Erickson -- Left side has been the strong side for Saints lineman Andrus Peat (1 Viewer)

I think we go 7-9 again this year, but let's pretend we go 4-12 and are in complete rebuild mode. What could we get for Armstead? And is it something we should even consider? Can Armstead be moved to RT?

If Armstead can't stay healthy, it's something to think about. If he can stay healthy, too many LTs are a great problem to have.

I'm far from satisfied with our O line. We still need a road grader Guard or 2 to run the ball and keep the heat off Brees.

So, out of the 12th pick in the 2015 draft, the Saints have acquired what appears to be the following:

A starting LG in the NFL - a bit pricey for just this, but you also get....
Insurance against injury at LT - Extremely valuable when you have a HOF QB. Tie that in with....
Future insurance against contract issues with LT - Armstead is signed through 2021, but it's still a good thing to have.

You also get the following:
A smart player
A VERY YOUNG player
A player with a good attitude, ie a team player

I'd say all of those pretty much make the pick a very, very good pick.

If he goes on to become a Pro Bowler at LG or LT or whatever, it's really all gravy at that point. The left side of this line, if Armstead can get healthy, can be dominant for the rest of Brees' career (much like the WR position can). Spend a few resources on the right side for next year and you have a perfect Super Bowl winning offense.

Did anyone really want to see Tony Hills (no disrespect) protecting Brees' blindside this year?

The Peat pick was, is, and will be a very good pick.

Next off-season I would like to see them let Strief and Lelito hit free agency and bring in a young vet LG who cannot start, move Peat to RT and draft an OT who can be our swing tackle.

If Armstead can't stay healthy, it's something to think about. If he can stay healthy, too many LTs are a great problem to have.

I'm far from satisfied with our O line. We still need a road grader Guard or 2 to run the ball and keep the heat off Brees.

Any Carl Nicks hanging around the draft next year?

Next off-season I would like to see them let Strief and Lelito hit free agency and bring in a young vet LG who cannot start, move Peat to RT and draft an OT who can be our swing tackle.

I agree. Peat needs to be our future RT. He has gotten some great experience this season with lots of PT and just improving his technique along with adapting to the speed of the NFL. Moving him to RT for next season and having a full off season to get his footwork down he will be perfectly fine. Would like to sign a stud FA at OG being an area we spend some $ on. Also using a draft pick somewhere between the 2nd-5th to get a young OG who can come in and hopefully start but at least be groomed by Evans until he is ready. Wouldn't hurt to hit on a late round pick for an OT who can develop and come in for an injury. Even though I want Peat to concentrate on RT IMO he should be the primary back up to Armstead in case of injury with him sliding over unless we have a player capable of playing the LT spot well. I would like to keep Strief as a backup RT which in the case of injury Peat would slide over with Strief stepping in at RT.

We are one stud OG away from having a dominant OLine to protect Brees. Getting 2 OGs of course would be great but to me Evans can be solid for another season especially playing alongside a much improved Peat. I would be pretty comfortable with having Evans, Lelito, Kelemente, and an early to mid round draft pick competing for the RG position.

LT-Armstead/LG-FA/C-Unger/RG-Evans/RT-Peat
RG-Lelito/Kelemente/DP RT-Strief/DP

We can potentially jump from a good OLine to a great one by adding 1 stud. I think we can also have the best OLine depth we have seen in the Payton era keeping the guys we have now around to compete with a draft pick or two. If we can give Brees proper time then this offense can compete with the best Saints offenses we have had.

I don't agree that moving him to RT is the best long term plan. He's far better on the left - let him stay there. Peat excels on the left. Let's let him play to his strengths.

Having a dominant guard is not a bad thing. Especially one that can sub in at LT without having to turn off years of muscle memory.

If I was GM, I'd pick up youth in the draft, at RT, and perhaps RG, that already has the muscle memory on the right side. Dan Skipper, for example.

I'm all for keeping him on the left. Draft whichever rates higher (RG/RT) if it's BPA in round 3. Don't reach in FA bc I think Strief can stick around for one more year as others have mentioned as the swing / mentor for the new right side of the line. If nothing else you usually have protection on that side with the TE to minimize some drop off in play.

Imagine unger can focus on coordination primarily with the rookie OG with Strief if Peat and Armstead can hold down the left side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom