Erik Coleman (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
It is being reported that the jets aren't going to resign him. I know he plays SS but other than that I don't know much about this guy anyone out there know what kind of player he is?

Also, saw that they are thinking about releasing Andre Dyson...... What kind of cover scheme did the Jets run?

Also, saw that they are thinking about releasing Andre Dyson...... What kind of cover scheme did the Jets run?

Probably the same scheme as the Patriots since Mangini was their DC a few years ago.

It is being reported that the jets aren't going to resign him. I know he plays SS but other than that I don't know much about this guy anyone out there know what kind of player he is?

It would probably be the same scheme that the Pats run.

He also plays FS according to the NY Daily News.

Year G Total Solo Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int TDs Yds Avg Lng
2007 15 51 29 22 0.0 -- 0 -- -- -- 0.0 --
2006 16 101 70 31 0.0 -- 3 1 0 3 3.0 3
2005 16 121 84 37 0.0 -- 5 2 0 4 2.0 4
2004 16 100 73 27 2.0 -- 9 4 0 43 10.8 37

This guy has had a rather impressive career over the past 4 years. It is surprising that the Jets have no interest in signing him.

Here is an evauation I ran across:

Erik has average size for the safety position but is tough, instinctive and athletic. He reads well and is quick to fill the alley in run support. He plays with a good motor and is active to the ball. He is a solid tackler and will insert in piles. Coleman uses his hands well to separate or slip blockers to work through trash. He leverages the ball well in coverage and is best off the hash. He keeps his pads over his feet and plays with good body position on short and intermediate routes. He anticipates well to get a jump on the ball and shows good range to close effectively. Coleman has good hips and quickness to play effective man coverage versus inside receivers. He has natural ball skills and has been an effective playmaker in the Jets new defensive scheme. He has been a pleasant surprise as a solid core special teams player and starting safety after being drafted in the fifth round.

If we could land Erik Coleman, that would be huge. Before nagging injuries and a change of defensive scheme and philosophy, Coleman was on the cusp of big things. He suffered like Vilma suffered from the scheme change.

I believe if we get Erik Coleman, that might be the biggest little signing of free agency. The guy makes plays, he can line up at both safety positions, he's an above average tackler, and he's a firey guy.

I would love it if we signed him. Josh Bullocks needs to go.

If we could land Erik Coleman, that would be huge. Before nagging injuries and a change of defensive scheme and philosophy, Coleman was on the cusp of big things. He suffered like Vilma suffered from the scheme change.

I believe if we get Erik Coleman, that might be the biggest little signing of free agency. The guy makes plays, he can line up at both safety positions, he's an above average tackler, and he's a firey guy.

I would love it if we signed him. Josh Bullocks needs to go.

I agree. I really don't know why more people on this board don't want us to pursue a new starting FS. Josh Bullocks is terrible in pass coverage. Let me say this again, Josh Bullocks is TERRIBLE in pass coverage. If we go into next season with Josh Bullocks as our starting FS, we have issues.

I would like for us to sign Gibril Wilson from the Giants. He was an integral part in shutting down the deep passes against the Patriots. On a few plays, they would line him up close to the linebackers, then right as Brady snapped the ball he would sprint back to his safety spot. I am just using this as an example to showcase Gibril's versatility as a FS. Gibril and Roman as the starters and Kaesviharn as the primary backup to both would be terrific.

I agree. I really don't know why more people on this board don't want us to pursue a new starting FS. Josh Bullocks is terrible in pass coverage. Let me say this again, Josh Bullocks is TERRIBLE in pass coverage. If we go into next season with Josh Bullocks as our starting FS, we have issues.

I would like for us to sign Gibril Wilson from the Giants. He was an integral part in shutting down the deep passes against the Patriots. On a few plays, they would line him up close to the linebackers, then right as Brady snapped the ball he would sprint back to his safety spot. I am just using this as an example to showcase Gibril's versatility as a FS. Gibril and Roman as the starters and Kaesviharn as the primary backup to both would be terrific.

I would LOVE for us to sign Gibril. He would improve our D by so much.

He can play the pass, stop the run, rush the passer and just about everything. A key cog for the Giants D.

Coleman like Zach Thomas and Lito Sheppard would be a big upgrade at a lighter cost then a guy like Gibril Wilson.

Didn't we sign a guy last year who had EIGHT interceptions, and let him ride the bench most of the year?

Seems to me we could sign a 28 year old Rod Woodson, and Payton would still play fricking Bullocks.

i know that bullocks other than his rookie appeareance was pretty a vulnerability for our secondary , i give you that .... but in the meantime i cant understand roman harpers resistance for critism , he is also a very under average safety in the nfl , he is slow , missing tackles , bad in coverage , bad ankles , bad decisions , getting beat after ten yards. to be honest at least bullocks can hit some people , plus he always had to play on the worse side on our defense ( behind david or thomas ) .... i would like to see another FS , with bullocks and harper in rotation on SS.... maybe josh is better suited for SS since he is hitter and not a ballhawk he was in college.

i know that bullocks other than his rookie appeareance was pretty a vulnerability for our secondary , i give you that .... but in the meantime i cant understand roman harpers resistance for critism , he is also a very under average safety in the nfl , he is slow , missing tackles , bad in coverage , bad ankles , bad decisions , getting beat after ten yards. to be honest at least bullocks can hit some people , plus he always had to play on the worse side on our defense ( behind david or thomas ) .... i would like to see another FS , with bullocks and harper in rotation on SS.... maybe josh is better suited for SS since he is hitter and not a ballhawk he was in college.

I saw Harper make a lot of nice hits last year. Those two sacks on Hasselback and that hit on Ben Utecht of the Colts. Those are just two intstances that I can remember, but there are more.

76560853.jpg

I agree.

Bullocks is a real liability in pass coverage. Just as Payton and Loomis realize now that Simoneau wasn't a part of the answer for a trip to the SB as our starting MLB, I believe they've seen enough of Bullocks now to know that he isn't a part of a Super Bowl trip either, as a starting FS.

I wouldn't surpriseed to see Payton move Chris Reid over to FS during training camp. The guy plays agressive and smart... Also seems to have a nose for the ball.

I also expect to see Simmons, a FA, or a draft pick replace Shanle as starting WLB...

Ditto for David, Bryant, H Thomas, Faine, E Johnson, and Stinchcomb. None of their jobs should be safe.

I saw Harper make a lot of nice hits last year. Those two sacks on Hasselback and that hit on Ben Utecht of the Colts. Those are just two intstances that I can remember, but there are more.

76560853.jpg

FWIW, Harper was actually benched this year for poor play. He is def. struggling and at this point is no better then Bullocks IMO.

He has barely played a full season though, so we'll see what happens with him. I've seen 3 years of Bullocks. Time to move on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom