ESPN: Drew Brees was not hero. (1 Viewer)

The only credit we need to worry about is the "W".

All the rankings and the stories of respect or disrespect are for college football where popularity matters.

My point is not that I think we should hail Drew as the hero, so much as the headline and the "Saints won in spite of Drew" talk really comes off like the guy is trying to bash Drew a bit in some underhanded way. I found that annoying.

My $.02... Drew Brees is the leader of this team. Drew Brees is only human. Drew Brees was in large part bailed out by the defense. Drew Brees gets the win. The Saints get the win. If we win the Superbowl and someone says "yeah but"... why would that bother me? Answer: It won't.
Can we not be happy that we won? Is it important to have recognition?
Not to me. The recognition is 6-0; alone atop the NFC.

Leaving aside the comments about Brees, it actually is true that great teams tend to win big rather than close.

You may not think that it is true, but it is.

Since the Saints have been winning big this season, I am not sure why someone here would not take comfort in that fact.

I am willing to bet that Bill Barnwell did not even watch the game but based his article from 20 secs of highlights.

I love Brees but he shouldn't be the hero of this game. I think that it is Payton for finally listening to me yell at him through the TV and running the ball in the 3rd quarter. Also, The Gregg made some great adjustments and started calling the right plays. Vilma could be as well, he showed great passion and stepped up his game to another level.

We've all seen Drew get like that in the past when he couldn't step up in the pocket. After successful running the Dolphins played more disciplined and Drew finally got a pocket to stand in.

Well...we certainly didn't win "in spite" of Drew either!

Only one of those three interceptions was Brees' fault. The 1st was a bad throw. The 2nd was a batted ball. The 3rd was a beautifully thrown ball that Colston dropped or the defender made a great play, depending on which way you want to look at it.

What's amazing to me and I made this argument all last year and you guys know it. If Peyton Manning would 've done the same thing they would be singing his praises. Manning had a whole terrible first half of the season last year and he still won MVP.
Brees cant even have a bad first half of a game!:idunno:

It's QBs that can overcome adversity like Drew had in the first 28 plus mins. of the first half that defines you as a great QB not what some sportswriter says about you.:9::9::9:

Last edited:
If you watched Drew in the second half he had this serious "all business, we will not loose, nobody is going to do this to us" gameface on. It was like he was trying to change the game by willpower alone.

Drew did not have a monster game but he surely LEAD this TEAM to the W

I don't care what they say. Brees is a GREAT LEADER. I would want drew as my team leader, project leader, company commander, doctor, quaterback, etc. He just wills his team to win, much like Jordan of old.

Brees didn't mentally collapse or cause his team to either when it would of been easy to do so with such high expectations (ie: see the gameday thread for examples of lack of mental toughness and faith). He MADE PLAYS in the second half and stayed focused.

He is a hero IMO because he is humble, a good example to all around him and never gave up.

Only one of those three interceptions was Brees' fault. The 1st was a bad throw. The 2nd was a batted ball. The 3rd was a beautifully thrown ball that Colston dropped or the defender made a great play, depending on which way you want to look at it.
I completely agree, and you may even be able to make a case for the fumble being an incomplete pass. The only true interception that was Drew's fault was the first one, but that play never happens if the replay equipment wasn't "malfunctioning".

I think that interceptions that are the result of a tipped or lost ball by a WR should have a different name because they aren't the QB's fault, they are the receiver's. Perhaps a "Lost Ball" or "Stolen Ball". That last one was all on Colston.

Very true. The nature of this league is such that-- especially at the QB spot but also the HC spot-- when you win you get all the glory and lose all the blame... warranted or not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom