ESPN: Drew Brees was not hero. (1 Viewer)

starbuck2907

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=4596927&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d4596927

Quick Reads: Brees was not the hero

Week 7 metrics show the Saints won largely in spite of their quarterback

By Bill Barnwell
<cite class="source"></cite>
<!-- end mod-article-title --> <!-- begin story body --> <!-- begin free preview text --> Who did the most to help his team win on Sunday? The answer to this question is usually the most prominent quarterback who won a close game, especially if it was a comeback.
So that's Drew Brees.
But we can't say Brees -- even if he led the Saints back from a huge deficit -- because that deficit existed in no small part because of him. The best-fit narrative of the game suggested the Saints were buoyed by Brees' sneak at the end of the first half and took the game over after that. It doesn't fit, though: Remember that they started the second half with drives ending in an interception and a fumble, each by Brees.
There were only three other close games on Sunday, and none of them fit the script, either. The Steelers beat the Vikings by virtue of two long touchdown returns off turnovers. The Texans narrowly held on for a 24-21 win over the 49ers because they couldn't stop the Alex Smith to Vernon Davis connection. Imagine writing that sentence in August. And on Sunday night, the Cardinals held on to beat the Giants thanks mostly to the total ineffectiveness of Eli Manning and the Giants' offensive line.
So on whom can we pin our hero hat?
Well, on the same people who deserve it most weeks: the star players of teams that won by a large margin. Our research has suggested that teams that stomp weak opposition by several touchdowns often end up outperforming those teams that win close games over their same brethren. There's no art form in winning close games that often come down to clock management, nonpredicative events such as missed field goals and fumble recoveries, or who gets the ball last. Joe Montana was 78-22 in games decided by more than a touchdown but 40-29 in games that came down to a difference of seven points or fewer. Brett Favre is 106-51 in the comfortable games, 61-45 in the close ones.
You can do that exercise with any quarterback you want. Of course, those close games get more attention than the blowouts because they're more entertaining. They produce better stories for journalists and better memories for fans and players alike. There's no shame in that, but don't mistake ability in close games for a skill. If you're looking for a hero from the week's slate of games, find the biggest blowout and take the best player from the winning team.
More often than not, you'll be right:

Is it just me, or does ESPN hate the Saints in general? Every time we win, there's always a few articles like "the other team blew it." We never get any credit, and this bullcrap article completely ignores the psychological lift Drew's actions gave the team (the sneak before the half, convincing the coach to let him sneak, excellent 2nd half play etc). They also ignore that two of the interceptions weren't even Drew's fault (one batted ball and one Colston dropped). Of course, I don't watch all that much ESPN...

--It's not so much that I think Drew is the "hero" of the game (although he was a big part of the win), so much as I feel like the article disrespects his contribution. I think that some analysts don't like hearing his name thrown around with Payton Mannings (whom ESPN worships, along with Brett Farve), so they try to discredit Drew when possible.

Last edited:
I think Brees would agree with them, that he was not the hero.

yea but when Roethlesberger stinks it up in the 1st half and has a good 2nd half its just because he is "soooo clutch" gtf outta here with that garbage

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insi...espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=4596927

Is it just me, or does ESPN hate the Saints in general? Every time we win, there's always a few articles like "the other team blew it." We never get any credit, and this bullcrap article completely ignores the psychological lift Drew's actions gave the team (the sneak before the half, convincing the coach to let him sneak, excellent 2nd half play etc).

The Dolphins did blow it. But I think you're way off in thinking ESPN "hates us." They've been largely complimentary of us for about 3 weeks now. If you're looking for universal praise though, that will be a fruitless endeavor. You will always be able to find someone that is not completely on board with the Saints, but that goes for anything in life.

I wouldn't say Brees was the hero either. I'd give the credit to Payton's second half adjustments and playcalling more than anything else, especially since he gets so much grief in general for it.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=4596927&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d4596927

Is it just me, or does ESPN hate the Saints in general? Every time we win, there's always a few articles like "the other team blew it." We never get any credit, and this bullcrap article completely ignores the psychological lift Drew's actions gave the team (the sneak before the half, convincing the coach to let him sneak, excellent 2nd half play etc).
Brees might agree, but throw in the slow adjustment to the game plan by Payton.

Everybody knows that pressure=turnovers. Everybody.

The Dolphins were getting tremendous pressure and we were still calling those empty backfield drop back passes for too long, making it all the easier for that pressure to get to Drew quicker.

If he had switched to running more with Bell one series sooner, it probably wouldn't have gotten out of hand in the first place.

That has got to be the stupidest form of logic to promote a blowout win of a really good team over really bad team, that I have ever seen, that is totally & completely backwards thinking, I don't know who Bill Barnwell is, but it's total garbage.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Metrics don't tell you everything. Drew convincing SP to go for it at the end of the half was huge. What metric does that show up in?

"Week 7 metrics show the Saints won largely in spite of their quarterback"

I take issue with this statement. I agree the win Sunday was a team effort and no one team member can claim to be the hero. But the offense in the second half, led by Brees, never quit, adjusted to what Miami did in the first half, and put 22 points on the board(would have been 24 but for the extra points). Toss in the end of first half "heroics," and I think you have a good case for a team who responded to their leaders, including Brees, to come back for an impressive victory. Brees played no small part in that, and the win was not "in spite of," but rather in part "because of" what Brees did.

This is EXACTLY the type of BS brainiac drivil that led me to not renew my "insider" account. Looking up stats to prove that Joe Montana had a better record in non tight games?? This guy sounds like an accountant type who got picked for teams in school AFTER his sister. My first reaction to this article was... "what?!?!" followed shortly by, "who cares?" ESPN should have shelved this article till the middle of the offseason when we might actually be desperate enough to read it.
sorry for the rant, but this sortta stuff just rubs me wrong.

I think Brees would agree with them, that he was not the hero.
I agree.......and if anyone noticed before the end of the game Brees was shown standing on the sideline with teammates trying to congradulate him and he was not budging. It was easy to tell that though he was happy about the teams comeback victory......He knew that he had not played well. If anyone saw it tell me what you thought? It was obvious that our qb demands perfection especially from himself. I would hate to be the falcons on Monday night. watchout...........

:icon_bs:

brees rushed for two TDs and passed for one.

am i missing something? can they not give him credit for pulling it together. does that not show character and resolve. can't they find anything nice to say?:bah:

I love Brees but he shouldn't be the hero of this game. I think that it is Payton for finally listening to me yell at him through the TV and running the ball in the 3rd quarter. Also, The Gregg made some great adjustments and started calling the right plays. Vilma could be as well, he showed great passion and stepped up his game to another level.

We've all seen Drew get like that in the past when he couldn't step up in the pocket. After successful running the Dolphins played more disciplined and Drew finally got a pocket to stand in.

I dont care what they say, I wouldnt trade Brees for any other QB playing today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom