Espn has us ranked 9th (1 Viewer)

Exactly, we are fans, he is a sports writer. We strive on emotion, they are supposed to use objective thinking. This is a team that has been known for late season slides, heck when we were 7-2 a couple years back ESPN ranked us #1 in their power rankings, than sure came back to bite them in the butt.

Well, I wouldn't consider basing current opinion on historical finishes as being very objective thinking. Last year, ten years ago, etc., has nothing to do with this squad this season.

In fact, I'd say the subjective nature of these rankings are reason enough to not get too high or low on where the Saints (or any team) are ranked.

To them we have to prove we aren't the same ol' Saints.
Exactly ... and this proof has to take place over the long haul. 6-2, 6-3 ... that doesn't convince anyone that the Saints are special. 13-3, 12-4 ... now that's a horse of a different color.

Rattling off a playoff win or two -- even better.

Well, I wouldn't consider basing current opinion on historical finishes as being very objective thinking.
This is true. What's hurting the Saints right now in various power rankings is having lost to a 2-6 squad the previous game. Saints handle their business, and their a consensus top-5 squad, like so many fans seem to want.

My point is only that the Saints are, right now, pretty much getting the respect they deserve.

I don't really have to big of a problem with the rankings. There a one or two that are ahead of us that I think we are better than that but 9th is pretty close.

It is very obviuos as someone stated earlier they just round up the teams with the same record as us and put us last. I'm not complaining I'm just pointing out a trend I've noticed.

Raiders signing Randy Moss???

That was a trade for a 1st round pick not a FA. If Brees keeps it up, this could be one the best FA pickups in NFL history.

Fair enough. But the one about the Panthers: They are starting to look like the team that everyone thought they would in the preseason?? They lost 2 in a row and played horrible in the first half of the game last night. What's so great about that? We will score 40 points on them on New Year's. (I just hope we can hold them to 39.)

Just to play Devil's advocate here (and without looking at the Giants and Seahawks opponents), but of our 6 wins, 4 have been vs. the Bucs (2), Packers and Browns- not exactly top flight competition this year. The national media still says we beat the Falcons on emotion, so that leaves us with 1 quality win, the Eagles (who aren't exactly setting the world on fire at 5-4). The 'Hawks have done most of it without their 2 best players (you think we'd be 6-3 w/out Deuce and Brees?). I'd have to look at the Giants wins to see where they're really at, but with injuries mounting, they'll probably take a slide.

As far as I'm concerned, good teams beat the teams they're suppossed to beat (we have), take care of business at home and step it up against conference opponents. If we go by that formula, we sholud end the season at a strong 10-6, maybe 11-5 (definitely should win against the 49ers, Skins and Panthers). We've got as good a shot as any with our remaining schedule, albeit difficult. We just need to take care of business at home this week and we'll be looking good for some Dome time in January.

Just to play Devil's advocate here (and without looking at the Giants and Seahawks opponents), but of our 6 wins, 4 have been vs. the Bucs (2), Packers and Browns- not exactly top flight competition this year. The national media still says we beat the Falcons on emotion, so that leaves us with 1 quality win, the Eagles (who aren't exactly setting the world on fire at 5-4). The 'Hawks have done most of it without their 2 best players (you think we'd be 6-3 w/out Deuce and Brees?). I'd have to look at the Giants wins to see where they're really at, but with injuries mounting, they'll probably take a slide.

As far as I'm concerned, good teams beat the teams they're suppossed to beat (we have), take care of business at home and step it up against conference opponents. If we go by that formula, we sholud end the season at a strong 10-6, maybe 11-5 (definitely should win against the 49ers, Skins and Panthers). We've got as good a shot as any with our remaining schedule, albeit difficult. We just need to take care of business at home this week and we'll be looking good for some Dome time in January.

Cinsy's 4-5.....would you consider that a good win? I ask because we because people seem to think this is a tough game and they have the same record as GB, who we beat at home, and you say they were not a quality opponent.

I'd consider Cincy a very good win. Like I said, I'm playing Devil's advocate based on how I think outsider's perceive us. I was in Green Bay, and to come back like that said volumes about this team. I consider it a quailty win. I also think there was more to the Falcons win than just straight emotion. The Falcons are always up and down and this year is no exception. That team has no identity, no consistency and if they didn't have Vick, the nat'l media wouldn't hype them at all.

Cincy seems to be playing down to the competition and isn't doing anywhere near what most people had them pegged for. I think it's a crucial game for the Saints- I'd even say that it's a playoff level game. Cincy, much like the Steelers last week, are coming in desperate and to beat them, we're gonna have to lay it all on the table. Also very similar to the Ravens when they came into the Dome. The game should be exciting as Hell and I'm sure the who dat nation will be in full force. I can't wait. Is it Sunday yet?

Hey like they say in the BCS, the Saints just beat whoever is on their schedule. They can't pick who they get to play.

And to all these "power" ranking, I say check out the only one that matters -- the NFL standings.

And in that one - the Saints are #2 in the NFC. Enough said.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom