ESPN "Inside Slant" Article - Offensive Holding Tendencies (1 Viewer)

NaJ88

All-Pro
Reaction score
Inside Slant: Offensive holding? Depends on the referee - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

Here is an interesting couple of quotes that I found relevant to this weekend's Saints game:

If you're assigned the crew of referee Jerome Boger (35 offensive penalties), Carl Cheffers (34) or Brad Allen (33), you're likely to see offensive holding called more tightly than if you get Walt Coleman (nine) or Bill Vinovich (nine).

Four teams are at the bottom: the Cincinnati Bengals (before Thursday night's game in Cleveland), the Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders and New Orleans Saints. The Bengals, Chiefs and Raiders have all been called for holding nine times; the Saints have six. The remaining 24 teams fall in a range between 10 and 16.

Vinovich will be the referee for the Saints' game Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers. When you combine his crew's history with the Saints' performance thus far, you wouldn't expect offensive holding to be a major factor in the game. Offensive lineman should feel more comfortable with aggressive blocks.

Hopefully this translates into plenty more rushing attempts off tackle and out on the perimeter, which should really test the San Francisco linebackers' ability to play sideline to sideline and stop the run.

Interesting.

(But note that if the game is called both ways, and we expect the 49ers to try to run the ball based on how bad their pass protection has been, this could also mean that our run D will need to be on their game - and have to fight through aggressive blocking).

Interesting.

(But note that if the game is called both ways, and we expect the 49ers to try to run the ball based on how bad their pass protection has been, this could also mean that our run D will need to be on their game - and have to fight through aggressive blocking).

Yup. So, we'll be happy to not hear holding against us and upset we don't hear any called against them.

Now, if a ton of holding is called only on us... Blame Goodell. :ezbill:

That reminds me... check out this photo I found the other day of Junior Galette trying to get to the QB:

Leash.jpg

SaintsPatriotsGaletteHolding.jpg

I sure hope that ref team doesn't see that article or this thread. "Hey look we are embarrassingly behind in offensive holding penalties... who's up this weekend the Saints? Oh hell yes."

also is a problem if SF decides to start running the ball again

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom