ESPN on Brees:. (Speculation on possible decline) (1 Viewer)

I didn't see anything other than normal perfection, making reads and throws that TB nor TH were able to do at todays practice. Drew's game has always been mechanics, anticipation, accuracy and brains. He doesn't need to throw a 50 yard missle. Picked our defense apart today , zero incompletions, 25 yard TD Strike, couple of 20s, 2 beautiful fades. One to TG and other to JC. Play of the day was a beauty over the safety in the box n hit TQ. Great catch and no better ball placement. Drew stayed an extra 30 minuets coaching no name WRs who wont be on the team in 3 weeks. This decline just isn't there yet.

Drew is my favorite Saint ever, but I do believe he tailed off a bit end of last year.

However his start was amazing so a fall off was bound to happen from that torrid pace imo.

I can understand your thought process on that. So I'm not disregarding your opinion.

But.....

When you take a deeper dive into the offense as a whole you will find:

Teams started double teaming Kamara and Thomas. In return was forcing one of our young receivers to step up. Asking UDFA guys and rookie receivers to be consistent on every play is like asking the weather to be consistent in Louisiana. It's just not going to happen!

Secondly the offensive line play fell dramatically. I love Max Unger, but he was absolutely horrible the second half of the season. As well as injuries to our other guys like Armstead and Peat. Peat was playing through his hand injury which caused a big dip into his play.

So what do you do as an offense when your O-Line play is bad? You scheme plays to get the ball out quickly, and you attempt stay balanced with the run and pass.

Being how our O-Line couldn't get any push with the run, it made our offense 1 Dimensional. On top of that, as I stated previously. Defenses were doubling Kamara and Thomas on every play. Drew's only options were either...

A) Force the ball to Kamara/ Thomas while they are swarmed by defenders

Or

B) Rely on the young guys to make plays and get separation.

What did Drew do?

What any QB would do, he gave his guys a chance!

As an offense, when you have to consistently rely on Rookie WR, especially those of which are mostly made up of UDFA's you are rarely going to get good results.

So if the run isnt working and the pass isnt working....

What in the Heck can Drew do???

He did all he could, and this why this take by the National Media frustrates me so much!

If they would take the time to do there homework, instead of just looking at the stats. They would figure out were the problem lied.

Its super Irresponsible of them to put out this extremely false headline as if Drew just fell off a Cliff after the cowboys game, and all of a sudden he just forgot how to play QB!

Does that make much sense to anyone here??

It doesnt to me, and is highly unlikely that, that would happen to anyone.

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS LOOK AT THE TAPE! IT NEVER LIES!!

That's what they get paid the Bug Bucks for, but yet consistently put out the Crap that they put out!

All they want is the Headline.... they could care less about the truth.

I stopped watching National Media Outlets a couple years ago, I would advise other people to do the same lol

I didn't see anything other than normal perfection, making reads and throws that TB nor TH were able to do at todays practice. Drew's game has always been mechanics, anticipation, accuracy and brains. He doesn't need to throw a 50 yard missle. Picked our defense apart today , zero incompletions, 25 yard TD Strike, couple of 20s, 2 beautiful fades. One to TG and other to JC. Play of the day was a beauty over the safety in the box n hit TQ. Great catch and no better ball placement. Drew stayed an extra 30 minuets coaching no name WRs who wont be on the team in 3 weeks. This decline just isn't there yet.

Thank you for your observations

I couldn't make it today, and I feel as if I did just with your one paragraph

I can understand your thought process on that. So I'm not disregarding your opinion.

But.....

Teams started double teaming Kamara and Thomas. In return was forcing one of our young receivers to step up. Asking UDFA guys and rookie receivers to be consistent on every play is like asking the weather to be consistent in Louisiana. It's just not going to happen!

Secondly the offensive line play fell dramatically. I love Max Unger, but he was absolutely horrible the second half of the season. As well as injuries to our other guys like Armstead and Peat. Peat was playing through his hand injury which caused a big dip into his play.

So what do you do as an offense when your O-Line play is bad? You scheme plays to get the ball out quickly, and you attempt stay balanced with the run and pass.

Being how our O-Line couldn't get any push with the run, it made our offense 1 Dimensional. On top of that, as I stated previously. Defenses were doubling Kamara and Thomas on every play. Drew's only options were either...

Or

What did Drew do?

As an offense, when you have to consistently rely on Rookie WR, especially those of which are mostly made up of UDFA's you are rarely going to get good results.

He did all he could, and this why this take by the National Media frustrates me so much!

If they would take the time to do there homework, instead of just looking at the stats. They would figure out were the problem lied.

Its super Irresponsible of them to put out this extremely false headline as if Drew just fell off a Cliff after the cowboys game, and all of a sudden he just forgot how to play QB!

That's what they get paid the Bug Bucks for, but yet consistently put out the Crap that they put out!

I stopped watching National Media Outlets a couple years ago, I would advise other people to do the same lol

Wonderful post. Totally agree about the o line issues taking a toll. I’ve beat that drum the last two seasons, as the o line goes so too do we go. It definitely impacted Drew’s play imo. And the entire O.

Thank you for your observations

I couldn't make it today, and I feel as if I did just with your one paragraph
Thanks man. No clear stand out as to who will return punts and kick offs. Thought it was a little odd today that Taysom was running w the 2nd team offense. He did not play well today, threw as a reaction instead of anticipating the route. It was a missle that everyone wants n also ended up intercepted twice. Teddy held the ball to long on three different drop backs, absolutely would have been sacks in a game. Litterally the drop off of QB play is crazy. TQ had a good practice today ehich he needed from the game drop. Butler was a pleasure to watch. You can tell he really wants to soak up as much knowledge as possible. He and Murry spent a lot of time with Drew on the side hitting on nuances of routes and looked like they were working on almost hand slapping or fakes in the routes n where the ball would be placed. They will get some big plays from 17, he n Drew already have a great chemistry. Swear its lile watching a taller but not as thick version of Colston.

Yeah, Barnwell is one of the VERY few football writers who doesn't routinely make me roll my eyes so hard I almost concuss myself.

The article does acknowledge it directly in fact.

This is a far better article than the click bait title suggests, which no doubt benefitted from an ESPN editor 'spicing up' the banner headline.

In short, the writer considers several possible root causes for the late part of the season and essentially says 'I don't know'. It's not that terrible.

I agree with a lot of what you say here. But I noticed him underthrowing some open guys down the stretch even when he wasn't under pressure. I don't think the issue is entirely an either/or, one-or-the-other thing. The offensive line was riddled with injuries (we must have had no confidence in Cameron Tom if we let Unger keep going out there and Peat play the NFCCG with a broken hand), we lacked WR depth, and Brees missed some passes he usually makes even when he had time to throw. All 3 of those things can be true at the same time (heck, the pace he was on the first 10 games was probably unsustainable even if the OL had been in perfect health).

But we still came within the worst blown call in NFL history of making the Super Bowl even with all that happening. It's fair to wonder a bit about Brees, but the sky is not falling. I also imagine, as others have noted, that Barnwell was probably more nuanced about it than the title suggested.

But.....

Or

What did Drew do?

Last edited:
Yep, real sharp decline by Drew last season.

From another post of mine:

Sorry if already posted. Saw this on the MSN news feed. Talk about your bulletin board material. I hope and pray Drew makes Gagnon eat this.​
1565125040322.png
New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees: I include him with great reluctance, but few quarterbacks have ever succeeded beyond 40. Sure, Tom Brady did, but he’s a hell of an anomaly. Brees will soon become only the second player ever to attempt 10,000 career passes, and there are signs he’s slowing down. In his last four games of the 2018 regular season, he threw just three touchdown passes to three interceptions and posted an ugly 84.7 passer rating.​
I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly, but according to this chart, Drew led the NFL in Passer Rating last year (talking about starting QB's):​
And...​
http://saintsreport.com/threads/5-n...d-gagnon-names-drew-the-1.411620/post-7643595

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think the article addressed whether Drew had less time to throw in those last few games of the year.

Between MT being the only viable receiver and the O-line being the walking wounded, I felt like Drew had less time to throw which accounted for his "less than normal" performance at year's end.

(I also wish the author had put in his chart of stats the per game averages of the 1st 11 weeks vs the rest of the games.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom