ESPN Radio: Saints have chance to rewrite the most basic of NFL laws (1 Viewer)

Section41

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
According to John Seibel on his radio show, the Saints this year have a chance to rewrite the basic law that "defense wins championships".

Though the Rams had a great offense in `99, the Great Show on Turf also had an above average defense. Our offense, says Seibel, "puts theirs to shame."

Scoring "at a video-game level" could defy the logic that stopping the run, and running hard between the tackles is the only way to win. This year, with our team, we may show the world that unstoppable offense can do it alone.

Looks like the national media is finally taking note. Maybe they'll show it in the Power Rankings. I think ESPN had us at #7. Changing nothing else but the name of our team to the "New York Giants" and we'd be a consensus #1.

Yeah, but 2 games doesnt make an monster of an offense. I think we'll have to wait until after the giants and jets games to really get a good idea.

That being said, in the last 11 games we've played, the team has scored an average of 34.3 pts per game (35.6 in the last 9).

Other Top Scoring Teams (w/ 16 game schedule) - Pts per Game
2007 New England Patriots 36.8
1998 Minnesota Vikings 34.8
2000 St. Louis Rams 33.8
1983 Washington Redskins 33.8
1999 St. Louis Rams 32.9
2004 Indianapolis Colts 32.6
1984 Miami Dolphins 32.1

According to John Seibel on his radio show, the Saints this year have a chance to rewrite the basic law that "defense wins championships".

Though the Rams had a great offense in `99, the Great Show on Turf also had an above average defense. Our offense, says Seibel, "puts theirs to shame."

Scoring "at a video-game level" could defy the logic that stopping the run, and running hard between the tackles is the only way to win. This year, with our team, we may show the world that unstoppable offense can do it alone.

Looks like the national media is finally taking note. Maybe they'll show it in the Power Rankings. I think ESPN had us at #7. Changing nothing else but the name of our team to the "New York Giants" and we'd be a consensus #1.

Have to disagree on the Lambs. They did NOT have an above average defense. They had a fair defense that hung on just enough for them to win beause of their huge offensive output; in fact, they nearly lost the Superbowl because of their porous defense (probably should have) except the clock ran out and saved them. That same defense was exposed completely in 2000.

While our defense is not in any danger of being mistaken for the '85 Bears, they certainly are better than the '99 Ram defense. They're good enough now to keep other teams from keeping up with our offense (unlike the last two years), and that will do.

I think they are getting ahead of themselves after 2 games.

We played Detroit and Philly minus McNabb and got turnover help. We are very good on offense, but I the track meet teams with no defense generally do not win championships.

I think they are getting ahead of themselves after 2 games.

We played Detroit and Philly minus McNabb and got turnover help. We are very good on offense, but I the track meet teams with no defense generally do not win championships.

Philly is no joke. Two of our three picks came in the last 5 minutes of the 4th. Although that is not to disagree that they are getting ahead of themselves.

Saints will NOT rewrite this addage. If they win, it will be because the defense plays well, too. They've played well in the first two games.

Have to disagree on the Lambs. They did NOT have an above average defense. They had a fair defense that hung on just enough for them to win beause of their huge offensive output; in fact, they nearly lost the Superbowl because of their porous defense (probably should have) except the clock ran out and saved them. That same defense was exposed completely in 2000.

While our defense is not in any danger of being mistaken for the '85 Bears, they certainly are better than the '99 Ram defense. They're good enough now to keep other teams from keeping up with our offense (unlike the last two years), and that will do.

They were #6 in total Defense... (Link)
They were #4 in pts allowed (Link)
They were #2 in intercetions (Link)

** Stats from '99

I hate the Rams too but their defense was real nice in '99. Yeah they fell off HARD in 2000, but their defense is the reason why they made it to and won the super bowl in 99. I give props when deserved.

Our defense is going to be fine. You have to ignore "yards per game" as a stat, and use metrics like yards per rush, opposing QB rating, yards per pass attempt, and turnovers.

Many national media people are pretty lazy thinkers.

This defense will end up as least as good as the one from 2006, and with a better offense to boot.

As long as we can "hold" teams to 20 points per game I think we'll be fine.

Our defense currently averages 20 ppg allowed... that's not counting the Bell fumble return and safety from last game.

I feel our offense will consistently score more than 20, and if we can keep opposing offenses at 20 ppg we'll be OK.

I don't care about yardage AT ALL... games are won on the scoreboard.

I sure hope the Saints arent eating the cheese and are staying focused in the face of all this media love. Thats what I dont like about the media is that theyre too sensationalist. After Week 1 it was "Same old Saints- bad defense, good offense, it was just the lions." Suddenly after week 2, we're the greatest offense in the history of the NFL...

I know they have to write articles about *something* but come on guys.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom