ESPN Report. Disturbing Stats regarding penalties and Saints (1 Viewer)

Using Ockham’s razor, the simplest explanation is that officials, whether consciously or not, started punishing the Saints after they got the DPI video review installed by not calling penalties against their opponents. This way, they didn’t have to call fake penalties against the Saints or do anything glaringly corrupt, just subtly give their opponents an edge by looking the other way when they held our players, mugged our receivers, set illegal picks, etc.
It started way before that.

If Taco Bell gets your order (and only your order) wrong year after year, location after location, you're quite justified in believing it's intentional. Whether the franchise managers gather in a back room or not.
So you're saying we are the only franchise in the NFL that feels justifiably aggrieved??? That's just silly.

I posted this on my Facebook and people still hate the saints so much they deny it. They think I’ve just been a poor sport whiner the last decade.

It took a while but I became a firm believer that the NFL rigs games after the Pit/Az Superbowl.
I think it goes as far back as when they did the division realignment and stricter salary cap rules where one team didnt have all the pro bowl players like the 49ers and Cowboys did for a 15 year span. But you could be right with the fact the nfl dont like to see teams like AZ in the sb either.

But one team that has gotten the shaft worse than us has been Detroit, what they do to them is proof of cheating, only time i see a rb get tackled, get up and run for a TD. Kind of stuff they screw Detroit on.

So you're saying we are the only franchise in the NFL that feels justifiably aggrieved??? That's just silly.
You know how black men are arrested and jailed at far higher rates than whites, yet there's no way a sheriff in Montana is colluding in a back room with a cop from Key West? So it's not like there's an actual conspiracy. Yet even a casual glance tells you there's something wrong here.

The same statistics that tell us there's racial bias in American policing also show officiating bias against the Saints.

For the love of God lol you don't have to believe in conspiracy theories or write paragraphs on conspiracies, the facts are right there. The fact is the referees are biased against the Saints, the reason for it is irrelevant and it doesn't matter if you have a tin foil hat on or not. The entire problem here is that it is being done in the first place, and it's being done year after year with no hope of it being rectified for Saints fans
1642881488036.png
Ref staring right at the play. One of three who saw but did not call. Fact--the NFL is biased against the Saints.

I really do not wish to veer this thread in a different direction. But I have to remind everyone that a conspiracy requires an agreement. If Johnny's English and math teachers meet and agree to pick on Johnny, there is a conspiracy to pick on Johnny. If Johnny's English and math teachers think Johnny is irritating and pick on Johnny, there is no conspiracy to pick on Johnny.

Regarding a conspiracy by the league to have the Rams win the 2018 conference championship game, some inconvenient facts:

1. The Saints were called for three penalties for 20 yards for the entire game whereas the Rams were called for seven penalties for 64 yards. (I was at the game. Until the no-call, I thought the game was one of the best officiated games I had seen.)

2. If there had been a conspiracy to send the Rams to the Super Bowl, it seems the officials would have done something to ensure a Rams victory in the first 58 minutes of the game. What if the Saints then had been ahead by 10 points--the first quarter ended with the Saints ahead 13-0. What if the Saints had actually done something in overtime, like score a touchdown rather than give the Rams the ball on an interception?

3. In overtime, in something of a make-up call, the Rams were called for pass interference, giving the Saints great field possession. If the officials were intent on the Rams winning, why was that call, which was close, made?

4. The closer to the Super Bowl you get, the more you see the officials calling fewer penalties and letting the teams play, and the less reluctant officials are to make a game-deciding call at the end of a playoff game. Again, I was at the game. The no-call was blatant and absurdly bad. The official who failed to make the call should have been disciplined in some way because his judgment was so bad. And the league should have been honest that the call was a terrible one. But the Saints still had three chances to win the game after the no-call--they could have stopped the Rams at the end of the fourth quarter, and in overtime, they could have scored or they could have held the Rams after the interception.

Vegas should put up a Prop Bet on this:

Prop Bet #1:
Saints Opponents lead the league in fewest penalties called against them AND the Steelers Opponents lead the league in most penalties called against them. Prop bet line .....EVEN MONEY.

Prop Bet #2
Saints Opponents lead the league in most penalties called against them AND the Steelers Opponents lead the league in fewest penalties called against them. Prop bet line .....1,000,000 to 1.

I would bet on Prop Bet #1

If a sports book were to publicly announce
This assumes the sports book wants a fairly officiated game. I'm sure they all have factored ref bias for all teams. It's the fans who are betting that fail in that regard.

I really do not wish to veer this thread in a different direction. But I have to remind everyone that a conspiracy requires an agreement. If Johnny's English and math teachers meet and agree to pick on Johnny, there is a conspiracy to pick on Johnny. If Johnny's English and math teachers think Johnny is irritating and pick on Johnny, there is no conspiracy to pick on Johnny.

Regarding a conspiracy by the league to have the Rams win the 2018 conference championship game, some inconvenient facts:

1. The Saints were called for three penalties for 20 yards for the entire game whereas the Rams were called for seven penalties for 64 yards. (I was at the game. Until the no-call, I thought the game was one of the best officiated games I had seen.)

2. If there had been a conspiracy to send the Rams to the Super Bowl, it seems the officials would have done something to ensure a Rams victory in the first 58 minutes of the game. What if the Saints then had been ahead by 10 points--the first quarter ended with the Saints ahead 13-0. What if the Saints had actually done something in overtime, like score a touchdown rather than give the Rams the ball on an interception?

3. In overtime, in something of a make-up call, the Rams were called for pass interference, giving the Saints great field possession. If the officials were intent on the Rams winning, why was that call, which was close, made?

4. The closer to the Super Bowl you get, the more you see the officials calling fewer penalties and letting the teams play, and the less reluctant officials are to make a game-deciding call at the end of a playoff game. Again, I was at the game. The no-call was blatant and absurdly bad. The official who failed to make the call should have been disciplined in some way because his judgment was so bad. And the league should have been honest that the call was a terrible one. But the Saints still had three chances to win the game after the no-call--they could have stopped the Rams at the end of the fourth quarter, and in overtime, they could have scored or they could have held the Rams after the interception.

Do you remember that OT interception?
If so, do you remember what happened that caused the interception?

Let's start with your assertion about the officials up to the point of the play. That's what referring is supposed to be. Neutral and fair observers who adjudicate when obvious fouls are obvious. So how do you explain they were able to call 6 previous penalties, but on the most crucial call, they ALL MISS IT? Can you explain other than human error?

2. No they didn't have to ensure anything. The beauty of the NFL agenda is just how "qustionable" it all is. It's genius. You firmly believe that if there was an agenda, they would have intervened from the beginning. We were driving for a TD at best or a GW fg with little to no time at worst. So that no call, in the context of the game at that moment, was perfect. Just enough impetus to give Rams a shot. That's about how far the NFL will go. If it works, it works. If not, they did their part.

3. Overtime. Interception. As Drew threw, his arm was hit. The defender raised his hand to bat/ swipe at ball. Got his arm, but his follow thru hit Drew square in facemask with force. Not incidental. That was a PF, 15 yds and first down then as it is now. No call. That is now 2 crucial missed calls in the final 10 min of a NFCCG. That's not "refs swallowing whistle" or how do you explain the previous 7 calls? It's contradictory.

I get that it's hard to believe that the powers that be were against us that day. Many still can't understand. Others, like myself, understand the ramifications of a Rams loss that year and what it would mean going forward in LA.

There actually was another call, I think late 3rd quarter or early 4th quarter where was a missed obvious PI that would have put us in FG range and ended up punting.

There was a clearly missed roughing the passer when Drew got hit in the face causing the interception.

You can talk all day long, but that's not going to convince people they're somehow missing the obvious. The no-call was a travesty, and that game never gets to OT if called correctly.

There actually was another call, I think late 3rd quarter or early 4th quarter where was a missed obvious PI that would have put us in FG range and ended up punting.

There was a clearly missed roughing the passer when Drew got hit in the face causing the interception.

You can talk all day long, but that's not going to convince people they're somehow missing the obvious. The no-call was a travesty, and that game never gets to OT if called correctly.
Thanks saved me a lot of typing.

Yep, cannot find video of the "morning after XLIV" presser anywhere. I recall that SP wanted to blow it off, and team execs were told by league no way, and dragged him in. SP was not hungover. He was what I would expect, absolutely sheethammered. I was so proud of him for being "celebratory", and just showing up.

Oh, and speaking of bad calls, no one so far on this thread has mentioned Galette being held in a chokehold on the last play of a game in NE vs. Brady, allowing Brady to complete a game winner.
Adding onto this, the final play of the Patriots-Panthers game a few weeks later where Kuechly bearhugged Gronk in the endzone. The flag was thrown...and picked up. That allowed the Panthers to keep pace with us in the division race and eventually beat us out for the division title and first-round bye by one game.

Two blatant no-calls in separate games involving the Patriots: one to hurt us, and one to help our primary division competitor that season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom