ESPN Report. Disturbing Stats regarding penalties and Saints (2 Viewers)

When I did that penalty analysis a few years back, it wasn't the penalties called that stuck out, it was the penalties not called. Every team that played the Saints (except for the first two games of that year due to the way penalties that were being called that the NFL changed after the second game) were well below their season average, and half the teams had their season low penalty total against the Saints.

The reason that stuck out statistically was every other team had expected calls against totals. Some games the opponent didn't get called much, and some they did, so it evened out. Against the Saints every team suddenly became very disciplined, then would go back to their penalty average afterward.

one of these is not like the others:

Here are the NFL teams whose opponents have been flagged the most in ...

the last four years
1. Steelers563
2. Titans540
3. Chiefs533
4. Bengals531
5. Falcons526
LOL at least the other four managed to win most of their games.

It doesn't matter. Nothing at all will be done about it. Nothing.
Bingo.
It’s even more ominous when offensive holding is the most called penalty in the NFL, and the Saints have been stout on their defensive front in that timeframe.

These stats indicate an unspoken vendetta against the Saints and Sean Payton for getting the rule on defensive pass interference changed in response to the most horrific non call in league history relative to the stakes.
There is definitely a vendetta against Sean. Some of our own fans will choose to never see that tho.

Why are refs so freaking old in the NFL? Why don't we have full time refs?

Last edited by a moderator:
The easiest way to explain this is that the refs should be looking at the play or players in front of them and calling obvious fouls, but are instead scrutinizing the Saints' players for fouls disproportionately. Doesn't have to be every ref on every play to produce such a glaring statistical disparity. But note that the gap between the Saints and the #2 team is bigger than between the #2 and #3 teams.

It's always seemed backwards to me how we started getting flagged more. Coach has said he wants refs hired on a full time basis, which would be good for refs, fans, and teams and they would make more money so why this like slant against the saints since the no call? It can only come from the top of the league because refs have no reason to have an agenda against saints.

All this is on top of the blatant slap in the face of the reviewable PI year. I can't believe how everyone involved in the league and the media just shrugged off a full season of officials actively killing that rule week after week until it was gone. It was astounding that they made a rule just to ignore it into oblivion and everything just treated that as normal.

All this is on top of the blatant slap in the face of the reviewable PI year. I can't believe how everyone involved in the league and the media just shrugged off a full season of officials actively killing that rule week after week until it was gone. It was astounding that they made a rule just to ignore it into oblivion and everything just treated that as normal.
No doubt. That was an absolute joke. The refs were like, "So you want to make a rule to second guess us? Fine. We'll just totally ignore the rule and go through the motions of a review."

I'd like to see the stats before the no call as well as after. Also, I'd like to see the numbers pre-Bounty Gate and post-Bounty Gate.

Personally before Bounty Gate it seemed like the Saints were middle of the road when it came to penalties. I'm talking about penalties on us and the opposition. I remember being grateful that SP's teams played more disciplined, smart football. I don't remember getting a lot of help from the officials as far as calls against the opposition but that's not really something you notice until it becomes egregious.

But after the bounty debacle it seems like things got a little dicey. It wasn't just the amount of penalties (for and against) but it was when the flags were thrown. Big time return! No, flag. Crucial 3rd down conversion, flag. Oh wow we completed a Hail Mary! No you didn't, flag. Every one of our D lineman being blatantly held on a huge play, didn't see it. Can't be bothered.

And then after the no call forget about it. It's been a joke but if you point it out you are labeled as a tin foil hat person who thinks the league is out to get your team. Well now it's to the point that even ESPN is like wait, what?
pretty sure i remember us having the 2nd or 3rd fewest personal fouls before bountygate which evidence showing how stupid/unlikely the bounty stuff was

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom