ESPN Report. Disturbing Stats regarding penalties and Saints (1 Viewer)

The Unrest Cure

Compassion is the basis of morality.
Reaction score
Katrina season a tight end was laying on his back and the defender forced a fumble by taking the ball from him while he was somehow not down.
Sigh. I remember this like it was yesterday; apoplectic that somehow that call was made after Ernie Conwell fell down with clear possession. There was almost no possible way to wrest control of a ball from a receiver lying down on the turf without touching him ... so NFL refs determined it was an interception by saying Conwell didn't have possession yet and thus could not be reviewed. Insult added: the DB clearly contacts Conwell and then falls to the turf, gets up, and runs it in for a touchdown ... and wasn't called down. Almost as infuriating as the time the refs blew the whistle in the middle of a play accidentally so the Saints just lost a down for no reason.

dutar76

5th Year Option
Reaction score
Look, this is what makes 2009-10 so special. The breaks just happened to go our way. Despite not getting the same calls we always never got, we punched out 3 future HOFer QBs. It was just a miracle of a year by any sense, and I hate to say it, will likely never happen again. In many regards it was more special that just about any Super Bowl win and I don't think we fully appreciate just how unlikely it was.
Isn't the going tin-foil hat theory that the reason the league has been all-out to kill Saints success because we weren't supposed to beat Manning and the Colts, but SP stomped on the gas pedal and stole it at the very end when it was basically too late for the officials to fix it?

Beast

Former Camp Beast
Reaction score
Someone with clout needs to push the rumor that the league is taking advantage of Gayle because she's a woman...let the feminists catch wind and the NFL will silently course correct from the pressure
Field Yates retweeted it, so it is getting attention in some NFL circles

26ISTHEMAN

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
This evidence is pretty damning. It's one thing to be called for the most penalties. Some teams just play dirtier than others, and the one constant is that team's style of play. But when we rank last every year in penalties against opponents, when those opponents are different week in and week out, there has to be another explanation for it. The bias is pretty blatant, if you ask me.

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score

Saint Lattimore

Hall of Shamer
Reaction score
So… the Saints are being punished because they called attention to horribly inept officiating when the refs blew a major call that cost the Saints a trip to the Super Bowl and now the refs are continuing to unfairly officiate Saints games and there’s nothing anyone is going to do about it?

OK.

Summed7

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I am in the it's not a conspiracy, it's just bad officiating camp, but this is pretty damning evidence either way. Buuuuut here's the problem. There's 6 pages of responses from (rightfully) P'Oed off fans and,l I hate to say it, but the fact that you're still here is exactly why the NFL does not and will not have to change. In wrestling, it's the heel that gets the heat and the heat puts butts in seats.
And in regards to not believing the NFL is out to get the Saints...believe me, I would much rather it be due to conspiracy vs incompetence. I respect your right to see it how you see it though. I'm a skeptic by nature and unless I am presented with actual evidence, I'm almost always going to go with the simplest and most logical answer.

AgnesT

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score

Brennan77

Bass Manager
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I am in the it's not a conspiracy, it's just bad officiating camp, but this is pretty damning evidence either way. Buuuuut here's the problem. There's 6 pages of responses from (rightfully) P'Oed off fans and,l I hate to say it, but the fact that you're still here is exactly why the NFL does not and will not have to change. In wrestling, it's the heel that gets the heat and the heat puts butts in seats.
And in regards to not believing the NFL is out to get the Saints...believe me, I would much rather it be due to conspiracy vs incompetence. I respect your right to see it how you see it though. I'm a skeptic by nature and unless I am presented with actual evidence, I'm almost always going to go with the simplest and most logical answer.

How does incompetence explain one sided trends? At some point it would course correct, no?

gavinj

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Isn't the going tin-foil hat theory that the reason the league has been all-out to kill Saints success because we weren't supposed to beat Manning and the Colts, but SP stomped on the gas pedal and stole it at the very end when it was basically too late for the officials to fix it?
My tin-foil hat theory is that Goodell and a small cabal of influential owners are attempting to erode away Saints’ fans interest in the NFL. Little by little, year by year.

Lord Stanley

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I’m thinking their goal is way more sinister than that.
I agree. NFL wants the Saints out of New Orleans. Dampening enthusiasm is 1st step.
Gayle Benson is weak. This has all happened since she’s the owner. It’s sad but true.
Agreed. Her incredible benevolence and philanthropic purpose is commendable; but she’s letting the league walk on her most valued asset.

Time to cry foul and get Elizabeth Warren and AOC summoning Goddell to a Capitol Hill hearing.

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Gayle Benson is weak. This has all happened since she’s the owner. It’s sad but true.
You do understand the power Goodell has, right?
What would you have her do exactly? Without looking the gift horse in the mouth?

It's the absolute beauty of the NFL cabal. Can't do shirt. Stay in your lane. You make millions so shut up. And the NFL PR machine is so strong, they would turn any negative around within a week. Between owners, media, journalists etc they basically "own". You think Adam Schefter gets access to info because he is Adam Schefter?

I get folks don't want to see the conspiracy, because it would upend what they always believed to be true...the NFL was based on fair play. Sorry, it's not. They have agendas. They have reasons. And it all starts and ends with money.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest SaintsReport Originals

Utopia Draft: The Saints' Ideal (Realistic) Scenario
By Dan Levy - posted 4/28/2022

Sea Change: Taysom Hill's "New" Role and What it Means for the Saints
By Dan Levy - posted 4/06/2022

Q&A: AMA (Ask Me Anything) with Dan Levy
5/8/22 | 4/20/22

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines