ESPN Report. Disturbing Stats regarding penalties and Saints (1 Viewer)

Isn't the going tin-foil hat theory that the reason the league has been all-out to kill Saints success because we weren't supposed to beat Manning and the Colts, but SP stomped on the gas pedal and stole it at the very end when it was basically too late for the officials to fix it?
My tin-foil hat theory is that Goodell and a small cabal of influential owners are attempting to erode away Saints’ fans interest in the NFL. Little by little, year by year.

I’m thinking their goal is way more sinister than that.
I agree. NFL wants the Saints out of New Orleans. Dampening enthusiasm is 1st step.
Gayle Benson is weak. This has all happened since she’s the owner. It’s sad but true.
Agreed. Her incredible benevolence and philanthropic purpose is commendable; but she’s letting the league walk on her most valued asset.

Time to cry foul and get Elizabeth Warren and AOC summoning Goddell to a Capitol Hill hearing.

Gayle Benson is weak. This has all happened since she’s the owner. It’s sad but true.
You do understand the power Goodell has, right?
What would you have her do exactly? Without looking the gift horse in the mouth?

It's the absolute beauty of the NFL cabal. Can't do shirt. Stay in your lane. You make millions so shut up. And the NFL PR machine is so strong, they would turn any negative around within a week. Between owners, media, journalists etc they basically "own". You think Adam Schefter gets access to info because he is Adam Schefter?

I get folks don't want to see the conspiracy, because it would upend what they always believed to be true...the NFL was based on fair play. Sorry, it's not. They have agendas. They have reasons. And it all starts and ends with money.

I agree. NFL wants the Saints out of New Orleans. Dampening enthusiasm is 1st step.

Agreed. Her incredible benevolence and philanthropic purpose is commendable; but she’s letting the league walk on her most valued asset.

Time to cry foul and get Elizabeth Warren and AOC summoning Goddell to a Capitol Hill hearing.
You think the 31 other owners would allow???

The NFL is walking on an asset her late husband purchased in the late 80s for $70 million. Today that asset is worth $2.8 BILLION.
BTW that number was $2.3 in 2019. That's $500,000,000 increase in 2 years.

It's the fans that get the short end. And there isn't an owner that will eschew that return to stand with the fans.

You think the 31 other owners would allow???

The NFL is walking on an asset her late husband purchased in the late 80s for $70 million. Today that asset is worth $2.8 BILLION.
BTW that number was $2.3 in 2019. That's $500,000,000 increase in 2 years.

It's the fans that get the short end. And there isn't an owner that will eschew that return to stand with the fans.
I think Goodell’s long game is focused on convincing her to drop the stipulation in her succession plan that the team only be sold to someone who will keep it in New Orleans.

I think Goodell’s long game is focused on convincing her to drop the stipulation in her succession plan that the team only be sold to someone who will keep it in New Orleans.
It would not surprise me that we are the fly in the ointment.

What Goodell CANNOT control is the effort and ability of coaches and players. That's on display week in week out. He tried in 2012 and thought that shot across the bow would get us back in line. It only served to galvanize.

Now you know why I support the Saints. It's more than just a sport. It's personal now. Every game we win, is a small shot back.

It would not surprise me that we are the fly in the ointment.

What Goodell CANNOT control is the effort and ability of coaches and players. That's on display week in week out. He tried in 2012 and thought that shot across the bow would get us back in line. It only served to galvanize.

Now you know why I support the Saints. It's more than just a sport. It's personal now. Every game we win, is a small shot back.
Yep, they’ve moved enough teams to have learned a few lessons on how to properly set the table.

Eventually, I can see Goodell and a few slimy arsed owners siding up to her and making a strong case as to why she should allow anyone to make an offer for the team even if they plan on moving it elsewhere.

These stats indicate an unspoken vendetta against the Saints and Sean Payton for getting the rule on defensive pass interference changed in response to the most horrific non call in league history relative to the stakes.
That’s definitely the explanation that came to my mind when I read Triplett’s article.

The easiest way to explain this is that the refs should be looking at the play or players in front of them and calling obvious fouls, but are instead scrutinizing the Saints' players for fouls disproportionately.
The trend cited in the aeticle is not how many penalties are being called on Saints players, but how few are being called against the Saints’ opponents—fewest in the league the last 3 yrs in a row (ever since the Saints got the replay rule for DPI installed after the infamous no-call).

It’s even more ominous when offensive holding is the most called penalty in the NFL, and the Saints have been stout on their defensive front in that timeframe.

These stats indicate an unspoken vendetta against the Saints and Sean Payton for getting the rule on defensive pass interference changed in response to the most horrific non call in league history relative to the stakes.
Elegantly stated, m'lud.

I call it a "code red" [TM -- A Few Good Men] among the NFL refs, who are still as a crew butthurt about being called out by Payton.

The MSM has been poo-poo'ing us cranks for a while, even when we have the receipts.

But I've read soooo many books about baseball and basketball (where the umps/refs are more up close and personal) where you really, really didn't want to get on the bad side of one or a group of umps/refs, to try to deny that there's not a quiet but intentional pattern here is to simply decide that statistics don't exist.

I'd like to see the stats before the no call as well as after. Also, I'd like to see the numbers pre-Bounty Gate and post-Bounty Gate.

Personally before Bounty Gate it seemed like the Saints were middle of the road when it came to penalties. I'm talking about penalties on us and the opposition. I remember being grateful that SP's teams played more disciplined, smart football. I don't remember getting a lot of help from the officials as far as calls against the opposition but that's not really something you notice until it becomes egregious.

But after the bounty debacle it seems like things got a little dicey. It wasn't just the amount of penalties (for and against) but it was when the flags were thrown. Big time return! No, flag. Crucial 3rd down conversion, flag. Oh wow we completed a Hail Mary! No you didn't, flag. Every one of our D lineman being blatantly held on a huge play, didn't see it. Can't be bothered.

And then after the no call forget about it. It's been a joke but if you point it out you are labeled as a tin foil hat person who thinks the league is out to get your team. Well now it's to the point that even ESPN is like wait, what?
There was a guy who analyzed this back after the no call. Don’t know where you get the data but he plotted decades of calls against saints and calls against Saints opponents. Usually the ratio was against the saints but not necessarily by a wide margin but it shifted in favor I think in 2008 and then REALLY in favor of Saints in 2009. IIRC, was less so but still in favor until about 2012. Then it abruptly returned to favor of saints opponents, where it has stayed.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom