ESPN Reportedly Offering Drew Brees $6.5M Per Year To Join MNF Booth Post-Retirement (1 Viewer)

May be his last year...

He should make any future employment in television contingent on being put on that particular network's all-time team for the 2010s.

Well...Romo has already demonstrated the ability to be amongst the great color commentators around. It's crazy to think that Brees would make anything close to Romo, sight unseen.
I would agree. Romo has already proven he's good at it. Brees is an unknown. Having said that, I'm sure he'll be 20x better than Booger and Whitten.

Brees is living the good life with Payton for 25 mill a year. He Ain't throwing that away for 6 mill a year. Doing broadcasting duties requires a lot of prep. What Drew does now for a living is first nature cause he has done it so long in the same system.

I don’t think Drew takes the gig. His kids are at an age now where I believe he really wants to be there with them as much as possible. Add in all of his other business ventures and his time is very limited.

Well...Romo has already demonstrated the ability to be amongst the great color commentators around. It's crazy to think that Brees would make anything close to Romo, sight unseen.
This makes sense if you know nothing about Brees and Romo...

How? Romo just waltzed right in and has been excellent from the start. Are you saying he isn't or that we should just assume Brees would be equally good just cuz he's our guy or because a great QB is supposed to automatically be good at everything else pertaining to football?

I don’t know anything about Brees...as a commentator. I’ve heard Romo a great deal, and he’s really good. We’ve seen that there is a poor correlation between the ability to play the game and the ability to do color commentary. I love Brees but he never struck me as the next great commentator. If I had money to place, Cam Jordan is going to be the next big thing. Is better than Strahan who’s made a huge career post football.

I don’t think Drew takes the gig. His kids are at an age now where I believe he really wants to be there with them as much as possible. Add in all of his other business ventures and his time is very limited.

I would bet he sits for at least a year. But I think he will eventually be lured.

I don’t know anything about Brees...as a commentator. I’ve heard Romo a great deal, and he’s really good. We’ve seen that there is a poor correlation between the ability to play the game and the ability to do color commentary. I love Brees but he never struck me as the next great commentator. If I had money to place, Cam Jordan is going to be the next big thing. Is better than Strahan who’s made a huge career post football.
You've never heard Drew Brees talk football before? I've heard his talk football dozens of times. His recall for plays is legendary and the way he breaks down what a team is looking at, looking for, etc. makes is easy for regular people to understand. We already know is preparation for games is HOF caliber, so there is no reason to think that's not going to carry over to the booth.

Cam will be a good studio guy, like Strahan. Neither would be good fits for color commentary.

Brees always says the right things in his press conferences. I hope if he does commentary that he can get into it the way Romo does and that he can joke around and be more loose.

Brees always says the right things in his press conferences. I hope if he does commentary that he can get into it the way Romo does and that he can joke around and be more loose.

Damn good points. Enjoyable commentary usually needs both of these things. You can be the best Xs and Os guy on the planet and still be boring. I'm not trying to say that that would be the case with Drew either but for me to wanna hear him for 3 hours each Sunday I'd definitely prefer him to present himself in a more relatable manner than his current close-to-the-vest style.

New drinking game... take a drink every time Drew says “obviously” during MNF...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom