ESPN reportedly pursuing Brees for MNF after retirement (1 Viewer)

And then President

JMHO but I don’t think that Drew would ever do that to his family. He loves his family too much. Politicians have to be married to that job & work a million hours.

Don't see him being especially entertaining. He would no doubt be the smartest guy in the booth maybe even the stadium but he doesn't have that TV personality. Heck, I never even finished his book but read Coach's in 2 days.

I agree. Clearly, Drew has one of the most advanced football minds of all time. You get the sense that he can look over in the pre-game warmups and see how the opposing strong safety tied his shoes and know that that means the post route will be open in the second quarter when they run play action to the right side.

But I have never heard that from him when he's behind the mic. It's all "You'll never go wrong working hard and believing in yourself!" Which is a great message to pass on to the kids, but does not make for riveting TV over the course of three hours.

I hope I'm wrong and once he's retired, we can start hearing the Drew that knows what the defender is going to do before he does it.

And just like Romo and manning hes going to turn it down

Don't see him being especially entertaining. He would no doubt be the smartest guy in the booth maybe even the stadium but he doesn't have that TV personality. Heck, I never even finished his book but read Coach's in 2 days.
I disagree. I don’t know if/think he’d be a natural, but he’s done enough commercials to show off his charisma chops. He’d have to do a few broadcasting training sessions to work on his craft but I’m sure the experts would be able to help him find his niche.

Ex cowboys players get shoe horned into broadcasting spots. I’m all for the networks finally actually giving spots to clear cut HOF’ers again. I’d much rather listen about football from Brees or Manning than I would Witten or Romo. But the key is from a broadcast standpoint can Brees find his niche like Romo was able to.

It’s hard to see Drew being the guy in the booth. He doesn’t seem to be that big personality or talker. He seems kind of reserved to me when i see him being interviewed. I can easily see Cam Jordan sliding into that role once he’s retired. He just has charisma and a personality that fits in sports media. But to be fair I didn’t think Romo would be any good so....

Rumor has it brees is building a house and retiring in youngsville. I’d imagine he won’t do any kind of public thing for now and focus on family.

I hope I'm wrong and once he's retired, we can start hearing the Drew that knows what the defender is going to do before he does it.

Yeah. I think Drew is definitely interested in some broadcasting post-NFL. I’d heard rumblings during the pro bowl that part of the reason he’d leaned so heavily to retiring was because he’d been courted hard by one or more of the networks.

I think Tony Romo has set a complicated standard for NFL broadcasts. Mostly because his personality lends itself to a natural broadcast style. While Drew is infinity better a qb than Romo was, there is the belief that he’ll have a similar natural ability as a commentator.

However, Drew is so serious about the game and his prep and I could see him lacking a lightness that so many of the better color analysts possess. He’d be more Troy Aikman than Tony Romo and id be willing to bet ESPN wants a Romo.

Also, Drew will need to work hard to reduce the number of times he begins a sentence with the word “obviously”.

Same way Sean Payton starts most sentences with “look!” Little things like that can be fixed with coaching though.

I think they’ll both (Drew and Payton) end up in broadcasting for some amount of time following retirement.

if anything he will e in an "advisory" role or something like that with the saints, like when they brought in that second guy for the special teams

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom