ESPN: Saints prioritizing Marcus Williams (in addition to Jameis) (1 Viewer)

Wouldn’t mind us keeping Williams, but I also wouldn’t want another Peat situation where we realize later that maybe we spent too much, and can’t afford to keep other valuable players. It’s basically down to who the team values most. Sounds like they value him a lot, but hopefully they don’t break the already broken bank.

Safety is one of the most important positions on the field. It’s the last line of defense. It’s the game changer position. I firmly believe Williams is overrated and CGJ is the best safety on the team. I fear us locking up big money in Marcus Williams will spell the end for CGJ.

Glad I don’t have to make the decisions because we are going to lose several good players one way or another. We’ve been good to long and honestly who wouldn’t leave their current job for a competitor to make double the salary?
CJGJ plays the nickel package up close to line, he covers in a short area. Williams play deep safety or center field. They play 2 different positions. I think CJGJ's job is safe. Marcus Williams is ranked in the top 10 FS's in the league. He is one of the cornerstones of our secondary and defense, you pull out all the stops to re-sign him and that looks like what the Saints want to do and I'm ok with that.

CJGJ plays the nickel package up close to line, he covers in a short area. Williams play deep safety or center field. They play 2 different positions. I think CJGJ's job is safe. Marcus Williams is ranked in the top 10 FS's in the league. He is one of the cornerstones of our secondary and defense, you pull out all the stops to re-sign him and that looks like what the Saints want to do and I'm ok with that.

CGJ is still the better safety. Marcus Williams being labeled cornerstone of our defense is laughable. What positive game changing plays has he made? I remember more chokes in clutch moments than I do positive ones. The organization has made bad decisions before and I believe we are getting close to another. He is not worth 10/15 mil a year and even worse at the expense of not being able to sign Davis / Latimore / RR

Jarius Byrd / Tebucky Jones / Jason David / Champ Bailey / Carter (can’t remember first name) are all busts that came highly touted from other teams

I know this is wrong but I will always remember him only for the Minny whiff.
That was another playoff game we had no business losing. You can’t blame Drew’s arm strength for that one.

He wasn't the reason we lost

The offense not scoring a point in the first half was.

The middle of that O Line was sleepwalking that first half and Drew had pressure in his face on every snap.

Sound like every playoff game we have had the last 4 years??

CGJ is still the better safety. Marcus Williams being labeled cornerstone of our defense is laughable. What positive game changing plays has he made? I remember more chokes in clutch moments than I do positive ones. The organization has made bad decisions before and I believe we are getting close to another. He is not worth 10/15 mil a year and even worse at the expense of not being able to sign Davis / Latimore / RR

Jarius Byrd / Tebucky Jones / Jason David / Champ Bailey / Carter (can’t remember first name) are all busts that came highly touted from other teams

You literally have NO IDEA what your talking about.

Litetally 0

I hate to tell you but there is no top 5 defense last year without Marcus Williams. They would have been average at best.

There aren't many players in this league today that cover as much ground as he does.

His only weakness was his tackling and he cleaned that up last year. At times he was even an enforcer out there.

Williams is a top 5 safety in this league whether you like it or not

I'll believe the Winston thing when I see it... I personally believe he's like "plan C" for this franchise at best.

As for Williams, he's one of the top 3-5 "Center Field Safeties" (coverage) in the NFL... Unfortunately for him, he's had a handful of plays in his career that are completely memorable... for the wrong reasons... outside of those handful of untimely and extremely unlucky / extraordinary plays... He's been a big reason that our pass defense seems to improve every season as the year goes along,

It's a no brainer to keep Marcus if we can.

Those that throw the MN Miracle out there as a reason we shouldn't keep him or a reason we lost that game tend to forget that he also started the comeback in the 3rd with a pick of Keenum:

I think he's what we need on the backend, and the way we use CGJ up close to the line, I think it's part of the reason we let Von Bell go. We save on spending on a SS / in-the-box type safety by having a rookie contract hybrid S/CB plus a true FS.

I'm seeing CJG being mentioned as a replacement. Other than the fact that their listed position is Safety, they have very little in common. We're talking about two totally different skill sets and body types. Williams is long, fast, and he can cover a lot of ground deep. CJG is compact, quick, and great around the line of scrimmage. Williams is a center fielder. CJG is a shortstop.

If they decide to move CJG to a Safety spot it would be to replace Jenkins at SS but I think they'll keep him at this hybrid position to take full advantage of his unique abilities.

The deep Safety spot has become one of the hardest positions in all of sports. Especially in Dennis Allen's defense. I don't know if I've ever seen a Safety tasked with covering this much ground. And he does a good job for the most part.

Those that throw the MN Miracle out there as a reason we shouldn't keep him or a reason we lost that game tend to forget that he also started the comeback in the 3rd with a pick of Keenum:

I think he's what we need on the backend, and the way we use CGJ up close to the line, I think it's part of the reason we let Von Bell go. We save on spending on a SS / in-the-box type safety by having a rookie contract hybrid S/CB plus a true FS.

Doesn’t matter. That is the worst play of the last 10 years for this franchise. Period.

You literally have NO IDEA what your talking about.

Litetally 0

I hate to tell you but there is no top 5 defense last year without Marcus Williams. They would have been average at best.

There aren't many players in this league today that cover as much ground as he does.

His only weakness was his tackling and he cleaned that up last year. At times he was even an enforcer out there.

Williams is a top 5 safety in this league whether you like it or not

Strongly disagree sir.

Let me try that with you

You literally have no idea what YOU are talking about.

Also, never once did I say he played the same position. I said CGJ is more valuable. Learn to read instead of exaggerating someone’s point

Strongly disagree sir.

Let me try that with you

You literally have no idea what YOU are talking about.

Also, never once did I say he played the same position. I said CGJ is more valuable. Learn to read instead of exaggerating someone’s point
You say CJGJ is a better safety than Williams. He may be better at the position he plays on defense which is the short area and Marcus Williams is the better FS at the position he plays. CJGJ is better in the short area because he doesn't have the range that Williams has to play deep safety.
You also said in your earlier post that it would effect CJGJ's position and he could be out. That's saying they basically play the same position. So I think that proves the OP's point that you don't know what you're talking about.
Oh FYI Williams had 3- INT's and CJGJ 1- INT's.

Doesn’t matter. That is the worst play of the last 10 years for this franchise. Period.

So you throw away a talented safety for one boneheaded play during his rookie season? He has a role, and he plays it well. And actually, on the MN Miracle, you could say that he played it so well he was there too soon and decided to go low to avoid the defenseless receiver / PI call. Seems shortsighted.

I mean, he looked a lot better this season. I think the history the Saints have had with the position since Darren Sharper left has left a taste in their mouth. They let Jenkins go and regretted it. They brought in lots of guys at varying contracts with little success. They probably don’t want to see him flourish in another system while gambling on a rookie or FA. They know what they have in him, which is better than year or two ago.

I’m not a huge fan but I admit the coaches see more than I do. Guess I’ll be cursing 43 for the foreseeable. Reminds me of the Peat reup last season. A little heads scratching if I’m being honest.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom