ESPN senior writer says Saints are a 'wild card' if Cam Newton tests free agency (1 Viewer)

I think he's over the hill b/c he needs his legs to be successful and I think they're done now, so I wouldn't want to spend $ on him as is. But if he wears the black & gold, I'll cheer for him. Off the field, he seems pretty generous in his community. Yeah, he's always been cocky, but so were Joe Horn, Willie Jackson, Jeremy Shockey, and a number of other Saints I've rooted for over the years.

You are probably right. I just don't like the guy at all. I mean that I really don't like him: immature, I am a super star, it's about me Cam

I don't think it's going to happen because I don't think Newton wants to go (1) where he can't compete for a starting job or (2) where he's not getting at least decent money, something like Nick Foles did.

We can't make those kinds of promises, nor will we have the cap room to sign him.

But if we DID have the room, and Payton saw him as a perfect backup/wildcat/change of pace player, I sure wouldn't be telling Payton what to do. I've never been a Newton fan, but I'd be looking forward to seeing what he could to do to help us.

I think he's over the hill b/c he needs his legs to be successful and I think they're done now, so I wouldn't want to spend $ on him as is. But if he wears the black & gold, I'll cheer for him. Off the field, he seems pretty generous in his community. Yeah, he's always been cocky, but so were Joe Horn, Willie Jackson, Jeremy Shockey, and a number of other Saints I've rooted for over the years.
Being cocky is ok but you can't be cocky when things are going good and then just be a horrible leader and complete arse when things aren't. He's thrown recievers and coaches under the bus in the media, made a business decision by not going for a fumble in the Super Bowl and is always bringing the me first attitude to the locker room. Payton wouldn't put up with a fraction of that from a WR, he sure wont allow it from a QB.

Cam is done. Taysom Hill is better at being Cam Newton than Cam Newton is and I'm not sure Taysom can be a starting QB.

I agree with you that Cam's done. But I managed to keep cheering for Bobby Hebert even after he sat out a season on a contract dispute even though he was never more than a mediocre QB for us. So if it came down to it, I'd root for Cam if he was a Saint.

Being cocky is ok but you can't be cocky when things are going good and then just be a horrible leader and complete arse when things aren't. He's thrown recievers and coaches under the bus in the media, made a business decision by not going for a fumble in the Super Bowl and is always bringing the me first attitude to the locker room. Payton wouldn't put up with a fraction of that from a WR, he sure wont allow it from a QB.

Cam is done. Taysom Hill is better at being Cam Newton than Cam Newton is and I'm not sure Taysom can be a starting QB.

I saw on the scroll that he's having surgery on his foot that he reinjured in week 2. Dude obviously didn't want to play this year considering he waited soooo long to have the surgery. I don't want a player who's supposedly the leader of the team who's also willing to sit on the bench all year, take in $20 million while doing so, and not even attempt to get back on the field ASAP to help his team win games. He's the opposite of Drew Brees. Dude uninjured his thumb and had his surgery a couple days later so he could get back on the field to lead his team on a championship run.

That says it pretty clearly and perfectly. Thx!!!

Honestly the "wild card" would be Robert Griffin. He's Jackson's backup, way less mileage than Cam, better accuracy from the jump, and has Harbaugh's trust and respect. And knowing how our two staffs have worked well in player recommendations and roster makeup, I could totally see him walking into the starting gig here. If, a big if mind you, if Payton does in fact want that type of quarterback and Brees does in fact retire and Teddy takes a big payout to go start somewhere else.

The writer at ESPN must be bored. There is almost no chance that happens. Although crazier things have happened. Not ONE of our Saints' QBs are under contract for next year so it's possible, I just REALLY don't see it happening. The 2020 QB is on the roster right now (be it Brees, Teddy, or Taysom).

Some Saints fans lost their minds when fan favorites Kamara and Thomas didn't give their all to go after an onsides kick in a regular season game. I'm not sure how well having the guy that wouldn't dive for a fumble in the Super Bowl go over with the same fans. lol

I don't understand why this article is saying "test free agency." Cam has one year left on his deal, but it is basically a team option because the cap hit on his release is only $2M.

If the team releases him, he's a free agent - there's no "testing" about it. And if the team doesn't release him, he can't "test" anything until after 2020, no matter what he might want to do.

It's dumb language to use in this context.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom