ESPN Spinning in Goodells Favor Again: 39% approve of Goodell (1 Viewer)

MrEMann83

Very Banned
Reaction score
The title of the article is "39% of players approve of Goodell" instead of saying "61% of players disapprove of Goodell".

Just another example of ESPN spinning it in Goodells favor.

ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports

Look on the side of the page. Weird because when you open it, it says that the title is 61% disapprove of Goodell

How is that spinning it? It's still a fact. If you read 39% out of 100, you clearly know that is less than half that are approving of him right? Jesus you guys are never satisfied with anything....

I guess being a Journalist myself, the Title of the article is everything. There is a huge difference in saying "39% approve of the current commissioner" and "61% disapprove".

Thats a journalism technique, because you arent paying attention to the number, but the words "approve of Goodell" whereas if you were wanting the negative attention, you would say "ONLY 39%", or something to that effect.

You're right, when it comes to Goodell, I will NEVER be satisfied.

This is sort of like the saying "The glass is half empty" and "the glass is half full".

The former is used with Negativity while the latter is filled with positivity.
ESPN is trying to make it sound as positive as it can by saying 39% of players approve.

This might seem like something small but some people will see the words approve and surround it with positivity.

The title of the article is "39% of players approve of Goodell" instead of saying "61% of players disapprove of Goodell".

Just another example of ESPN spinning it in Goodells favor.

ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports

Look on the side of the page. Weird because when you open it, it says that the title is 61% disapprove of Goodell

Here is what they are really saying: we think our readers are dumb.

This is sort of like the saying "The glass is half empty" and "the glass is half full".

The former is used with Negativity while the latter is filled with positivity.
ESPN is trying to make it sound as positive as it can by saying 39% of players approve.

This might seem like something small but some people will see the words approve and surround it with positivity.

Please explain more about these mysterious glasses.

I'd explain but it'd take 50,000 pages of evidence to do it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

hahahahaha..

Anyway, thats my point. ESPN must be getting production rights, or something like it, to keep spinning it in favor of the Commissioner at every chance they get.

Saying any percent approve implies that a complimentary percentage disapprove OR abstain from responding. So saying 61% disapprove is VERY telling. But 39% approval could mean 4/10 approve and we'll let you decide if you think 3/10 didn't open the survey box. That would mean on 30% disapprove. Saying 39% approve against the 61% disapprove is 1,000 times, a Its not a glass half full argument at all.

Saying any percent approve implies that a complimentary percentage disapprove OR abstain from responding. So saying 61% disapprove is VERY telling. But 39% approval could mean 4/10 approve and we'll let you decide if you think 3/10 didn't open the survey box. That would mean on 30% disapprove. Saying 39% approve against the 61% disapprove is 1,000 times, a Its not a glass half full argument at all.

This is the point I was making in my OP. Its a journalistic technique.

Furthermore, is ESPN and the poll takers asserting that they called 300 active players and all 300, or at least 298 chose to answer in the affirmative or the negative???? Usually polls have multiple questions. Not everybody answers every question. So if 61% disapprove, then exactly ALL of the other votes were for the "approval". Nobody was indifferent??? Not one?

How is that spinning it? It's still a fact. If you read 39% out of 100, you clearly know that is less than half that are approving of him right? Jesus you guys are never satisfied with anything....

Headlines are one of the biggest ways for any media type to show bias while not showing bias.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom