Establishing the run vs the Falcons is the most important aspect (1 Viewer)

Hotdog_Skin

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
So, this is mostly full of cliche, no-brainier comments, but here's why I think getting the run game going is the most important part tomorrow.

1. With Terron out, there is a good chance Atlantas anemic pass rush could get a kickstart. In order to keep them honest and not have them pin their ears back every snap, we gotta have them respect the run. If we just keep tossing it, they're gonna get after us.

2. As much as I enjoy clowning on Matt Ryan, ole poopy-stain has been on a hotstreak the past couple games, so we need to minimize the time he's on the field. Especially if J. Jones is a full-go.

2b. In addition, as proud of our defensive backfield as I was last week, I dont think we can expect a showing like that every week. We need to shelter them a bit by winning TOP and keep Brees on the field for nice, long, time consuming drives.

3. With Snead injured, Atlanta's DBs will be able to focus on Cooks and Thomas/Fleener. Snead is our "gritty" player that clutches those 3rd and longs for us. We need to minimize the amount of those situations. Getting the run going will make a lot more 3rd and shorts.

4. As others have pointed out, even when our defense is looking good, we still make big mistakes at the end. That might be because of how tired they are. Once again, we need to keep the offense out there, so the defense is rested and can close out the game when the time comes.

5. Play action. With Snead possibly out, we'll need to be a little more creative with our passes. When our run game is humming, our play action devastates opponents.

6. If we hope to make any kind of run this season, we need teams to respect the run. We have yet to establish the run, even though we've had a couple flashes.

Obviously, none of this is anything we don't already know, but I just really hope we can have a coming-out party for the run game tomorrow and cram it down the dirtybird's throats.

Ummm... Excuse me. Atlanta is going come out passing hard. This is one of those game were we can't force at 2.5 ypc running game. We start out with 3 and Out. And We will be down 7 and 6-7 minutes off the clock. Go another 3 and out. Then, we are down 14-0. You can never force the run if it isn't there. We always struggle to run the ball against ATL.

**** running the ball. We don't run the ball well, our biggest weakness on the offense is the RB position and the biggest strengths on the team is our passing game.

If we come out and try to establish the run in the first half then we will go all pass in the 2nd half because we'll be down 20 at the half.

We're not going to be able to run the ball. Even if we find some early success, we won't stick with it. That's the just the way SP is. I don't think it will matter either way. Saints will have to score 30+ to win and I just don't see it happening

We're not going to be able to run the ball. Even if we find some early success, we won't stick with it. That's the just the way SP is. I don't think it will matter either way. Saints will have to score 30+ to win and I just don't see it happening

Giving up already? Man, what's the point of even being a fan then?

God I wish people on here would stop thinking were in the SEC. Do you think Belichek would run if he had Brees? Hell no. He would drop back and throw it 60 times.

God I wish people on here would stop thinking were in the SEC. Do you think Belichek would run if he had Brees? Hell no. He would drop back and throw it 60 times.

no he would adjust to what the other team is doing...which is something we struggle to do at times

Yep, lets abandon the run game. I'm sure our oline will be able to counter a never ending stream of blitzes without Terron lol

What always goes unmentioned, is the fact that the run game will help with time of possession. When you have a bad defense, keeping them off of the field is paramount. The Saints have too many 3 & outs because of all of the passes and it stops the clock. If Payton would ever play balanced or almost balanced football, the Saints most likely would have beaten the Raiders. The Saints aren't going to win many shootouts. It only helps Brees' stats.

What always goes unmentioned, is the fact that the run game will help with time of possession. When you have a bad defense, keeping them off of the field is paramount. The Saints have too many 3 & outs because of all of the passes and it stops the clock. If Payton would ever play balanced or almost balanced football, the Saints most likely would have beaten the Raiders. The Saints aren't going to win many shootouts. It only helps Brees' stats.

If you have a QB that completes around 70% of his passes, the passing game will still keep the clock moving. You don't need to run to control the clock.

Yep, lets abandon the run game. I'm sure our oline will be able to counter a never ending stream of blitzes without Terron lol

Without Terron the running game is going to struggle to get to 3 ypc.

Run for 2 yards.

Run for 0 yards.

Incomplete on 3rd and long.

Punt.

The Saints are a pass first team. If the passing game gets going, the running game will have some opportunities. If you are hoping to see the Saints try to pound the ball running, you are watching the wrong football team.

The Saints have been at or near the top ten in time of possession throughout Payton's tenure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom