ESXi for dummies (1 Viewer)

I am stuck on the road right now but I will be back at the office just after 4:00.

I think that is pretty much what I did but I might know what is going on. Let's go back in time a few days. Brand new HP proliant server. I installed Server 2012 on disk 1. Realized my issue with DC and SQL. Then installed esxi and installed server 2012 on disk 2.

Disk 1 still has my original server install done prior to esxi. If I remove the esxi usb boot, the server 2012 still loads up.

I think this is what is possibly causing my issue???

I am stuck on the road right now but I will be back at the office just after 4:00.

I think that is pretty much what I did but I might know what is going on. Let's go back in time a few days. Brand new HP proliant server. I installed Server 2012 on disk 1. Realized my issue with DC and SQL. Then installed esxi and installed server 2012 on disk 2.

Disk 1 still has my original server install done prior to esxi. If I remove the esxi usb boot, the server 2012 still loads up.

quite possibly, at least it sounds plausible.

I had assumed you removed the original install from the HP. I always thought that esxi was meant as a bare metal install. I know you've got things on different disks but I don't know how that plays into it. At this point I'm purely peanut gallery. :hihi:

whoa nelly! you are installing a brand spanking new vm? that is easy schmeezy.

right click on the host in vmware, click on "New Virtual Machine"
select custom, next
name it, click on the host/folder/whatever until it allows you click next
select your storage
select the most recent virtual machine version
pick your os
assign it cpu
give it ram
pick the network
you want lsi logic sas for 2012
create new virtual disk
give it a size
leave scsi selected, next
either finish, or check edit box to add iso to the cd rom drive

!@#$%&@#!

I go to this point. When installing the second server 2012, I have to put in a domain name. It does not like it when I enter the same thing as the domain name on the first server. I am not sure if this is an issue or not. Assuming this was an entirely clean install, what do I put for the domain name when installing the second virtual server? I am still not sure if this is all because I originally installed the server prior to esxi. Is there a way to format the hard drive 1 from within esxi? I might just do that and start over with the second server install.

I tried enter work group as the domain name and then demoting it as a DC. Get an error stating that it can not demote because the certificate server is installed. Can not remove the certificate server because I need to remove the web enrollment role services. No clue where in the hell that is.

I thought somebody said this was easy. :)

!@#$%&@#!

I go to this point. When installing the second server 2012, I have to put in a domain name. It does not like it when I enter the same thing as the domain name on the first server. I am not sure if this is an issue or not. Assuming this was an entirely clean install, what do I put for the domain name when installing the second virtual server? I am still not sure if this is all because I originally installed the server prior to esxi. Is there a way to format the hard drive 1 from within esxi? I might just do that and start over with the second server install.

I tried enter work group as the domain name and then demoting it as a DC. Get an error stating that it can not demote because the certificate server is installed. Can not remove the certificate server because I need to remove the web enrollment role services. No clue where in the hell that is.

I thought somebody said this was easy. :)
hah. ok. let us back up, is this within the os? if so, win key+break to bring up sys properties, then click on change settings under computer name, click on change, and join the domain from there. if this is happening via the creation process, then we need to figure out which step you are doing that may want a sysprep file.

Today was a better day. I was able to install the second virtual server as a new domain. Once it was installed, I took a hammer to it and managed to remove the certificate authority role then demote is as a DC then remove the active directory role.

I then joined it to our domain running on the first virtual server. SQL Express then installed nicely with no fighting though I did wave my hammer at it while it was installing.

Thanks to all for the help and support. Much appreciated.

Hey guys,

I run the New Orleans VMware User Group and having a meeting on 3/7. This is an official, VMware sanctioned user group. I'd like to have you come. Check us out at www.vmug.com/neworleans.

Brandon
Awesome. I'm a VMUG subscriber and have seen the emails for this event, I just don't think I can make it on that day. Thanks for hosting this.

This sounds like you reused the virtual disk on disk 1... Don't do that.. Blow it away completely and build a new VM from scratch.. You should never reuse a disk that had anything to do with a DC at any point..

BTW, even though you don't have vCenter, you could still build a VM to use as a sort of template. Just use the datastore browser to COPY it to a new location. Then right click on the vmx file and ADD TO INVENTORY. When you start up the VM, you will get popped with a question asking if you copied or moved the VM. You select COPY and the VM will get a new UUID and MAC addresses.. It will save you some time in the future...

Sorry I haven't been replying much. I'm building a massive VMware View environment in Buffalo. I'll try to pay attention here a bit more often..

Hey guys,

I run the New Orleans VMware User Group and having a meeting on 3/7. This is an official, VMware sanctioned user group. I'd like to have you come. Check us out at VMUG : Workspaces Generic Page.

Brandon

I wish I could but I live in Dallas. I can't even attend VMUG groups over here because of the demand. We've got 80+ customers in the pipeline for VDI deployments right now. I've got a ton of vCloud Director engagements coming as well.

It's kinda tickin' me off because I only get to see my family on weekends. But at least the money is really really good.

I wish I could but I live in Dallas. I can't even attend VMUG groups over here because of the demand. We've got 80+ customers in the pipeline for VDI deployments right now. I've got a ton of vCloud Director engagements coming as well.

It's kinda tickin' me off because I only get to see my family on weekends. But at least the money is really really good.

Been learnin' the VM stuff for a while now. Virtualized our servers last year and in the process of rolling out VDI using ESXi and XenDesktop. You hiring? ;)

Been learnin' the VM stuff for a while now. Virtualized our servers last year and in the process of rolling out VDI using ESXi and XenDesktop. You hiring? ;)

Actually, yes we are....

And we NEED some KNOWLEDGEABLE XenDesktop guys. Especially with PVS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom