ESXi for dummies (1 Viewer)

So I have Server 2012 installed and running on the first VM. Have a question about the dual nic cards. If I leave both to obtain an address automatically, no problems. They both get an IP from the Sonicwall

If I manually assign one nic with a static IP, it is all good.

If I try to assign both with a static IP, I get a warning about multiple default gateways yet they are both set to use the same exact gateway address. It will allow me to continue but the second nic will not take the static IP

Hidden adapter issue?

Try this:

1. Click Start > Run.
  2. Type cmd and press Enter.
  3. At the command prompt, run this command:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
  4. Start the Device Manager by running this command from the same command prompt:

start devmgmt.msc

5. Click View > Show Hidden Devices.
  6. Expand the Network Adapters tree (click the plus sign next to the Network adapters entry).
  7. Right-click the dimmed network adapter, then click Uninstall.
  8. Once all of the grayed out NICs are uninstalled, assign the IP address to the virtual NIC.

Minor detail, as zeetes has ya well covered, but I always make it a point to install vmware tools on each Vm OS. you never know when the only way to access a VM is through the client. It makes things nicer to navigate in the Console window.
vm tools are the greatest thing since sliced bread. plus it updates all of the generic drivers in the os with vmware friendly ones!
So I have Server 2012 installed and running on the first VM. Have a question about the dual nic cards. If I leave both to obtain an address automatically, no problems. They both get an IP from the Sonicwall

If I manually assign one nic with a static IP, it is all good.

If I try to assign both with a static IP, I get a warning about multiple default gateways yet they are both set to use the same exact gateway address. It will allow me to continue but the second nic will not take the static IP

i'll be honest, i hate windows networking. it always has an issue with same gateway, flags for multiple default gateways, and is just a pain in the butt. are you setting up two nics for redundancy or throughput?

On the win2k12 VM. Do not use two virtual NICs that are teamed for bandwidth or fail-over. Use two physical NICs on the virtual switch to do that. It cuts down on the complexity of the guest OS and gives you real redundancy. Also, remove any teaming software from the VM's OS.

The only time you need multiple NICs on a VM is if you are connecting them to multiple network. An example would be a production network and a non routed backup network.

On the win2k12 VM. Do not use two virtual NICs that are teamed for bandwidth or fail-over. Use two physical NICs on the virtual switch to do that. It cuts down on the complexity of the guest OS and gives you real redundancy. Also, remove any teaming software from the VM's OS.

The only time you need multiple NICs on a VM is if you are connecting them to multiple network. An example would be a production network and a non routed backup network.

What Rick said!

Thanks for the feedback. I got stuck on other issues that popped up today ( like the new new domain I had connected everyone to that disappeared when I installed esxi)

All of a sudden when computers logged out, they could no longer login because the DC was gone. :) Pretty much managed to get every one connected again to the virtual server. I am hoping by the end of the day Friday to have the second VM up and running with SQL installed.

I will get back to the nic issue and read over everyone;s post some time tomorrow. That is on the bottom on my priorities right now.

it is pretty easy what Rick was talking about, on the server config you are basically just assigning the available nics to the network vswitch (though I only have one nic on my test box, you can kinda get the idea):

Attachments

• config1.PNG
    config1.PNG
    32.5 KB · Views: 3
  • config2.PNG
    config2.PNG
    19.2 KB · Views: 3
This is a great thread. I will be doing something very similar in the coming weeks.

Heck by then, I might be able to answer a question or two. :hihi:

What are you doing about backing up? From what I've been reading/learning it seems that the most important thing after a proper setup/config is backing up due to the fact that backing up VMs is not the same as backing up a traditional box.

we don't currently back up our vms other than replicating the datastores to our DR site (we also have site recovery manager, which is an abysmal product that is utterly worthless when i can mount my DR replications quicker than it will restore my machines..). i've given up pushing for veeam to back up the operating systems because apparently we don't see it as necessary.

the benefit of veeam and vranger is that you have a replicated copy of the entire machine in case someone makes a change, or it crashes, or a windows update kills part of it, you can easily restore an image. i've used both products and veeam is definitely the clear winner if you are looking at pricing out one in the future.

we don't currently back up our vms other than replicating the datastores to our DR site (we also have site recovery manager, which is an abysmal product that is utterly worthless when i can mount my DR replications quicker than it will restore my machines..). i've given up pushing for veeam to back up the operating systems because apparently we don't see it as necessary.

the benefit of veeam and vranger is that you have a replicated copy of the entire machine in case someone makes a change, or it crashes, or a windows update kills part of it, you can easily restore an image. i've used both products and veeam is definitely the clear winner if you are looking at pricing out one in the future.

Familiar with Veeam and how popular it is but also know it's expensive. Decent free solutions always seem to revolve around Linux based tools which is chinese to me. Very command line heavy but they work once you can figure out the syntax.

Familiar with Veeam and how popular it is but also know it's expensive. Decent free solutions always seem to revolve around Linux based tools which is chinese to me. Very command line heavy but they work once you can figure out the syntax.

hah yeah, i've looked at a few of them. ghettovcb being the more popular. i downloaded it, but didn't do anything with it.

I am stuck dazed and confused. I have the first server up and running just fine and all users have reconnected to the domain. It is the DC

I am now about to install the second VM using Server 2012. I do not want it to be a DC as I will be installing SQL on it. When I initiate the server install, I have the two options, clean install or server migration.

If I select clean install, it want me to enter a domain name. If I put in the current domain name, it tells me that domain already exists. I can not leave it blank.

If I select server migration, it tells me that it can not promote it to a domain controller. At that point, all I can do is retry or shutdown.

Am I missing something or can I not install it as a non domain controller? I figured once it was installed, I could go remove the roles but I can not get to that point.

My head really hurts...

whoa nelly! you are installing a brand spanking new vm? that is easy schmeezy.

right click on the host in vmware, click on "New Virtual Machine"
select custom, next
name it, click on the host/folder/whatever until it allows you click next
select your storage
select the most recent virtual machine version
pick your os
assign it cpu
give it ram
pick the network
you want lsi logic sas for 2012
create new virtual disk
give it a size
leave scsi selected, next
either finish, or check edit box to add iso to the cd rom drive

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom