ESXi for dummies (1 Viewer)

BHM

Can't please 'em all
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Going back to my issue installing SQL on a DC, I have decided to install ESXi virtual server. What I need now is a ESXi for dummies overview.

I believe I am in over my head and am looking for confirmation of that or a pat on the back telling me it will all be fine.

I initially installed Windows 2012 Server Essentials on a new HP Proliant server. I have 10GB of memory. Since I was having so much issues with SQL installing, I have now installed ESXi VServer 5.1 on the server and have it up and running.

On my desktop computer, I installed Vsphere client and have it communicating with the server. I see my hard drives and things look pretty much ok from what I can tell. So, now what? From this point I have no clue what to do next.

Don't be afraid to tell me to run. I have no problem calling in a professional but I do enjoy learning and experimenting and if I completely destroy things, I have no problem wiping it clean and starting over. Time is on my side.

lol.

so far it sounds as if you are doing o.k.!

first thing you need to do is right click on the host server in vsphere and create a pool or folder or something. it has been a while since i've created a standalone but if i remember right, you can't create a server without first creating whatever.

edit- actually, i'm wrong. was thinking of vcenter for some reason.

this is where you may run into issues. i recommend either installing esxi on its own drive or maybe even a flash drive (the sandisk cruzer "fit" is perfect because it sticks out of the slot a fraction).

if esxi is separate from esxi install, click on server, click on configuration, then click on storage under the config tab, you should see the storage on the server. if you see that much let us know then i'll try to help you from there

oh and under config, you will see "licensed features" under software. click on that, then "edit" in the top right hand corner to add the license to the server to exit evaluation mode. the license is free and should have been available when you downloaded it.

time configuration under software is good to set up too. i usually just point my esxi ntp servers to pool.ntp.org and pool2.ntp.org

oh and under config, you will see "licensed features" under software. click on that, then "edit" in the top right hand corner to add the license to the server to exit evaluation mode. the license is free and should have been available when you downloaded it.

time configuration under software is good to set up too. i usually just point my esxi ntp servers to pool.ntp.org and pool2.ntp.org

***EDIT*** IGNORE THIS POST. ISSUE WAS RESOLVED

Does it have to be licensed to function fully? I did do the time sever to Cox's ntp server.

So far I am rolling along. I have the esxi boot files on a usb thumb drive and that is working fine. I have the client operating fine on my desktop. I have created a datastore with my server 2012 iso file uploaded to it.

I am running into an issue trying to create the vm. It is not finding an OS to install. See attachment 1.

I am unsure of two things at this point. The iso file was originally an img file which I simply changed the extension to iso. I am not sure if that is ok. The second thing is shown in attachment 2. I am assuming I am supposed to connect the cd/dvd to the iso in the datastore??? I even tried putting the 2012 server bootable dvd in the drive and no luck that way either.

Attachments

• attachment 1.jpg
    attachment 1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 2
  • attachment 2.jpg
    attachment 2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 3
I figured out the issue with it not being able to load the OS. Why do things have to be so complicated?

Attachments

• attachment 3.jpg
    attachment 3.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 3
So while Server 2012 is being installed, here is my next dumb question. When I initially setup the HP server, I installed Server 2012 and configured the domain and all the user accounts. Is that all going to have to be done again? Not a big deal if I have to.

Hah very good. You figured out things my coworkers haven't grasped the concept of. As for the DC, if it is the only DC and you are starting from scratch again, then yes. It will reissue new sids to the user accts (which will have to be created as well..)

Hah very good. You figured out things my coworkers haven't grasped the concept of. As for the DC, if it is the only DC and you are starting from scratch again, then yes. It will reissue new sids to the user accts (which will have to be created as well..)

It has been fun and challenging so far. I only have about 15 users to recreate and I have a little utility that can migrate their current sid profiles.

I am sure I will have more questions tomorrow. Thanks for you help and moral support today. Much appreciated.

ahh yeah that makes it way easier to recreate a domain. keeps the users happy!

sure thing. VMware and ad (though less and less frequently) is pretty much all I do.

I would have suggested citrix xenserver instead of esxi as a single host though, but you seem to have the hang of it now.

since you are only working with 10gb RAM (what kind of server is it, is it ddr3, and how are the sticks paired? ie do you know if dual channel/triple channel, that is just a weird combination) when you build out both servers, on the sql box, i'd give it dedicated resources. when you get to that point i'll help walk you through it. the DC won't matter a whole lot, since I doubt your 15 user network is going to do it any harm! that thing will be bored. we have all three of our DCs (2 primary, one DR) sitting in VMware now and I cut back their resources to dual proc/4gb ram because they aren't doing a whole lot and we have 97 users. our sql isn't dedicated but my hosts both have 64gb ram with only 40% utilization. plus most of our business hits our IBM db2/iseries.

yeah that may be a lot of questions, but I'm slightly inebriated so I don't know better. good luck with the upgrade and good choice with VMware!

btw, did you set up esxi 5.1? it has a few nifty new features that may work in your favor.

Sounds like you are just going with a stand alone ESXi host with no vCenter. Just make sure you have a back up domain controller somewhere so you won't be screwed if you lose the ESXi host.

ahh yeah that makes it way easier to recreate a domain. keeps the users happy!

sure thing. VMware and ad (though less and less frequently) is pretty much all I do.

I would have suggested citrix xenserver instead of esxi as a single host though, but you seem to have the hang of it now.

since you are only working with 10gb RAM (what kind of server is it, is it ddr3, and how are the sticks paired? ie do you know if dual channel/triple channel, that is just a weird combination) when you build out both servers, on the sql box, i'd give it dedicated resources. when you get to that point i'll help walk you through it. the DC won't matter a whole lot, since I doubt your 15 user network is going to do it any harm! that thing will be bored. we have all three of our DCs (2 primary, one DR) sitting in VMware now and I cut back their resources to dual proc/4gb ram because they aren't doing a whole lot and we have 97 users. our sql isn't dedicated but my hosts both have 64gb ram with only 40% utilization. plus most of our business hits our IBM db2/iseries.

yeah that may be a lot of questions, but I'm slightly inebriated so I don't know better. good luck with the upgrade and good choice with VMware!

btw, did you set up esxi 5.1? it has a few nifty new features that may work in your favor.

It uses DDR3 UDIMM and I can only install up to 16GB . Yep, I used 5.1

Sounds like you are just going with a stand alone ESXi host with no vCenter. Just make sure you have a back up domain controller somewhere so you won't be screwed if you lose the ESXi host.

No vCenter and trust me, if the DC went down it would not be the end of our world. :hihi:

Zeetes, if you use vCenter Converter does that mess up sids?

Zeetes, if you use vCenter Converter does that mess up sids?

nope. the beauty of converter is that it keeps everything software related intact with the exception of the hardware profiles.

oh and i wouldn't recommend spinning up the VM on the network unless the source machine is powered off, then you may run into sid issues.

Minor detail, as zeetes has ya well covered, but I always make it a point to install vmware tools on each Vm OS. you never know when the only way to access a VM is through the client. It makes things nicer to navigate in the Console window.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom