Etec engines (1 Viewer)

krushing

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have much experience with the etecs? We are overdue to replace the engines on our 24 foot whaler. The etecs seem to be the only engine light enough for our boat (200 hp) but they are expensive and we will have to re-rig everything. The 97 whaler which I love won't take more then about 850 lbs on the back and we want to go back with twins

what did you previously have two of hanging on the back?

I have mercury 200 efi's Replaced power heads and everything else at least once. Sorry I didn't see your response until today. I need engines no heavier then 440 lbs. each. The boat has been Garage kept, babied and is In perfect shape.

I believe yamaha has a new lightweight 200 4 stroke. Right around that weight.

Just looked up the yammy. . It's 487 each vs 419 for the etecs. Doesn't sound like much difference but the boat was stern heavy to begin with. Sits low when tied up to rigs.

Just looked up the yammy. . It's 487 each vs 419 for the etecs. Doesn't sound like much difference but the boat was stern heavy to begin with. Sits low when tied up to rigs.

I guess your only other option would be a mercury proxs 175. You wouldn't have to pay for new controls and they should be cheaper than the etecs. The yamahas would probably be an overall increase of 100lbs or a petit woman sitting in the stern.

I guess your only other option would be a mercury proxs 175. You wouldn't have to pay for new controls and they should be cheaper than the etecs. The yamahas would probably be an overall increase of 100lbs or a petit woman sitting in the stern.

I'm trying to talk my partner into considering one 350. Much cheaper and we are getting too old to go 75 miles off anymore. A single 350 would push the heck out of the boat and be 200 lbs lighter. My partner in the boat has been stuck offshore and really wants to go back with twins.

Tell him to buy a membership of SeaTow :p

We have one but he was on a boat that flipped when the engine quit and he floated on an ice chest for 27 hours. I found out the navy deals run twin 150 etecs on the same boat and they rave about them.

We have one but he was on a boat that flipped when the engine quit and he floated on an ice chest for 27 hours. I found out the navy deals run twin 150 etecs on the same boat and they rave about them.

300hp should be more than enough for a 24' whaler.

300hp should be more than enough for a 24' whaler.

The way I understand it, outboard hp can be misleading. For example the 150, 175,and 200 etecs are the exact same engines with different power curves. The 150 might actually be adjusted to be a better fit then the 200's. w can run 62 top end and cruise at 48 with the twin 200 Merced we have now.

The way I understand it, outboard hp can be misleading. For example the 150, 175,and 200 etecs are the exact same engines with different power curves. The 150 might actually be adjusted to be a better fit then the 200's. w can run 62 top end and cruise at 48 with the twin 200 Merced we have now.

Those engines most likely share the same block.The small block 200 etec, I believe, was made for smaller/lighter boats like bass boats and bay boats. It would make sense that the same block putting out less HP could be a better option.

Those engines most likely share the same block.The small block 200 etec, I believe, was made for smaller/lighter boats like bass boats and bay boats. It would make sense that the same block putting out less HP could be a better option.

They do share the exact same block and have the exact same weight .... To the lb. 419 each in the non-supercharged models.

They do share the exact same block and have the exact same weight .... To the lb. 419 each in the non-supercharged models.

I think bombardier has a couple different gear cases for that motor. One being beafed up for applications like yours.

Put 200# of lead in the anchor locker & go w the yammies.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom