Etec engines (1 Viewer)

Put 200# of lead in the anchor locker & go w the yammies.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

You really like the new Yammies over other brands. I know they were light years ahead 5 years ago but it seems like they are all good now.

You really like the new Yammies over other brands. I know they were light years ahead 5 years ago but it seems like they are all good now.

I don't know much about outboards except that I once swore I'd never own another boat with one. For years I had twin diesels only, but then the kid got old enough to want to fish and ride in the boat and big boats are a pita to take for a little run around the bayou so I bought an outboard boat.

I swore at the time that I only did it knowing that outboards are disposable and the first time I took it to the mechanic - guy who's worked on my boats for so long my mom used to pull them to him and pay him for me - he told me I was a dumbarse.

He gave me two reasons.

1. owning a boat without twin diesels
2. owning an optimax if mom wasn't paying for it.

Then he told me to get rid of it as soon as it needed a repair and said if everyone had Yammies he'd be able to retire.

FYI, he was probably 80 at the time.

You and your partner ought to go buy a small Shamrock with a single yanmar in it or do the 350 ob and put a 4 stroke yammie kicker on it so you can always get home! :ezbill:

Have a fat gal sit on the bow.

We bought the twin 150 etecs during everude's winter sale. Free rigging and a 6 year warranty. I have to say so far that I love the motors. Every bit the torqe of the old 200 Mercs. What sold me on them is that the twin 150 etec setup is the same package the navy seals run on the exact same whaler. The engines have an incredible hole shot and you can barely hear them idle. Time will tell but very happy so far. They are two strokes but programmed for synthetic oil, they barely burn any at all. I might get a year out of the 4 gallons in the boat now. Things can supposedly run 6 hours with no two cycle oil at all. I hope to never find out. It planes easily on one engine which is what I was worried about. I'm paranoid because I've come home on one engine so many times with the Mercs.

Perfect. It feels like I lost more then 90 lbs off the stern. I guess. 90 lbs on the very back does make a real difference. AlI new motors are like a new girlfriend ....No griping and the put out every time you ask them to. Ask me again in 5 years for the real truth after the honeymoon is done. .

And they sure look good.
7e2yjumy.jpg
yve8u3u8.jpg

The fuel savings will blow your mind, then make you feel like an idiot for hanging on to those EFIs so long.

The fuel savings will blow your mind, then make you feel like an idiot for hanging on to those EFIs so long.

Especially when I think one engine was dragging he other along the last couple years. It's just hard to break down and spend that kind of money when I get off shore just a few times a year.

My chiropractor will be the only one loving these engines more then I do.

awesome man, I got a 150 yammy 2 stroke and love it but I got a killer deal on it when I bought my boat. 1st choice was the Etec but he literally gave me the motor for 5k... I don't even know if they made money on the motor lol had to buy it. One time the throttle stuck and other than that is has purred like a kitten until my divorce when i could not take it out for 2 years lol. I need batteries now :LD

awesome man, I got a 150 yammy 2 stroke and love it but I got a killer deal on it when I bought my boat. 1st choice was the Etec but he literally gave me the motor for 5k... I don't even know if they made money on the motor lol had to buy it. One time the throttle stuck and other than that is has purred like a kitten until my divorce when i could not take it out for 2 years lol. I need batteries now :LD

No way he could buy it for 5K. My dealer said he took losses on some complete rigs in order to move boats and keep the line. Must have been what this guy was doing. I really dont think there are any bad motors made today. The Merc Verado is the only motor thats so complicated that a lot of dealers won't touch them. The two stroke and simple 4 stroke mercs come highly regarded as do all yammy's, suzukies and hondas. Motors have really come a long way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom