Euro soccer teams intending to form a breakaway league (1 Viewer)

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score

No UMD on that list (for shame) they are in contention practically every season....

So, it looks like the Super League is no more. Reports that Chelsea, Man City, and Athletico Madrid are already withdrawing and the 12 teams are going to meet tonight to talk about dissolving the league.

People seem to be talking about this as some sort of real victory for "working man football", but it hasn't been that way since at least the formation of the Premier League and domination of the league by Chelsea's, Man City's, and United's money is going continue with only the occasional blip of a Liverpool or Leicester winning with an amazing year or building perfectly following a big sale.

The Super League wasn't the answer, but reforms are needed badly because you now have a de facto super league anyway.

I agree reforms are needed badly but attempting to "Americanize" soccer was bound to be a dismal failure. Not sure about the other clubs but my son said Luke Shaw and Harry McGuire (on behalf of all the players) got into a shouting match with Ed Woodward and all of a sudden MU backed off....

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
No UMD on that list (for shame) they are in contention practically every season....

I agree reforms are needed badly but attempting to "Americanize" soccer was bound to be a dismal failure. Not sure about the other clubs but my son said Luke Shaw and Harry McGuire (on behalf of all the players) got into a shouting match with Ed Woodward and all of a sudden MU backed off....

Yeah, I don't think the American model works in that culture. But, something really does need to be done or only Man City, Chelsea, PSG, and any other club bought by a Middle Eastern Oil family, an oligarch, or a nation state will be relevant soon.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think the American model works in that culture. But, something really does need to be done or only Man City, Chelsea, PSG, and any other club bought by a Middle Eastern Oil family, an oligarch, or a nation state will be relevant soon.

Disagree a bit on the relevant part, just a few years ago Leichester City (who?), won the EPL, i agree it doesn't happen as often as I like, but it does happen (unexpected lower tier team surprises)....

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Disagree a bit on the relevant part, just a few years ago Leichester City (who?), won the EPL, i agree it doesn't happen as often as I like, but it does happen (unexpected lower tier team surprises)....

Yeah, and their Thai owner (RIP) was only worth $5 billion.

So there's still room for the little guys.

;)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like I said before, everywhere you look in this there a nothing but bad people on both sides.

And it seems television rights are other big part of contention.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

I mean, it happens occasionally, but it's usually just luck that allows it to happen. Leichester has remained relevant and won then mostly just because Jamie Vardy wasn't the kind of guy that wanted the bright lights of London, Paris, etc. But, Leicester could just as easily be in the Championship in the next 5 years as stay in the Premier League. Anyway, I just think the exclusivity of the elite teams will grow beyond what it is now.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, and their Thai owner (RIP) was only worth $5 billion.

So there's still room for the little guys.

;)

I mean, that's kind of the point, right? Chelsea and Man City were the equivalent of Leicester not that long ago and now they are two of the elite teams because they got bought by a Middle Eastern Oil family and a Russian Oligarch. It's an odd sort of Cinderella story.

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I mean, it happens occasionally, but it's usually just luck that allows it to happen. Leichester has remained relevant and won then mostly just because Jamie Vardy wasn't the kind of guy that wanted the bright lights of London, Paris, etc. But, Leicester could just as easily be in the Championship in the next 5 years as stay in the Premier League. Anyway, I just think the exclusivity of the elite teams will grow beyond what it is now.
Actually, you see more of these surprises at the Champions League, a smaller team giving a tough time to one of the elite teams.

Now, these smaller teams have to finish at least top 4 in their current league.

Here is where you get a chance to see teams like Wolves, West Ham, Sevilla, Atletic de Bilbao, Nantes, etc performing better than expected.

Saintslfc13

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Fans and pundits are calling for heads to roll in club ownership. Jamie Carragher is calling for ownership changes at Liverpool.

Listen I loved Carra as a player but he spouts loads of nonsense as a pundit. This is the same Jamie Carragher that did nothing but collect his paycheck when Tom Hicks and George Gillette were running the club towards administration. He has a lot of fortitude to get all high and mighty now.

Beyond that who does he suppose they should sell too? FSG are probably the best of the lot in terms of running the club in a sustainable manner without putting excess debt on it to fund much of anything to do with the club. There's no guarantee that any similar ownership group would operate the same way and that would just have the pitchforks and torches out for them. The only realistic alternative is megarich sports-washing regime whether that be the Saudis (who're allegedly back in for Newcastle) or our very own Oligarch, etc. If Liverpool have ownership like that then isn't all the moral outrage for nothing?

People keep using Leicester City's fairytale run as some sort of proof of concept. That was the exception not the rule, more often than not the mega-rich clubs that can afford to essentially have 2 squads of players are going to be in for thing major trophies year in and year out. The only reason players really leave PSG is because the french league is a joke so they want the prestige of playing for one of the Spanish giants, in the Premier league, or sometimes for Bayern Munich and maybe Juve.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I mean, that's kind of the point, right? Chelsea and Man City were the equivalent of Leicester not that long ago and now they are two of the elite teams because they got bought by a Middle Eastern Oil family and a Russian Oligarch. It's an odd sort of Cinderella story.

Yeah for the most part. I think Chelsea and City had more success in their history (top league wins and FA cups) than Leicester, but neither was a regular top flight contender until being bought by international billionaires.

It is still cool, though, that your club - the side your family has cheered for years - can get bought by some billionaire and a few years later you're playing in Wembley for the FA Cup or something like that. I suppose there have been examples where success didn't come after being bought by international billionaires (e.g. Portsmouth). It's a pretty interesting dynamic.

Saintslfc13

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Actually, you see more of these surprises at the Champions League, a smaller team giving a tough time to one of the elite teams.

Now, these smaller teams have to finish at least top 4 in their current league.

Here is where you get a chance to see teams like Wolves, West Ham, Sevilla, Atletic de Bilbao, Nantes, etc performing better than expected.

Have you seen the new CL reformation? It's basically the super league idea without calling it the super league. There's an illusion that UEFA and Sky can push that maybe your smaller clubs can still win it but written right there in the rules is that historically clubs may still get in even if they don't qualify based on their "UEFA Co-efficient".

I'm not saying the Super League was a great idea, but I'm definitely not having this UEFA, FIFA and the oil clubs have saved football from the evil and greedy Old Establishment.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score

Well I did say I wished it happened more frequently....you very well could be right....we will see....

OP
guidomerkinsrules

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i've been surprised by the suddenness of all of this - but seemingly it's not very sudden at all
-- i tried to see if the Soccernomics guys had an update on this recent kerfuffle
seemingly one of the guys has a blog and has been talking about a Super League for a while (for added fun, he ties in Qatar to an early exploration of 'Dream League') (the below is from March of 2013)

It’s hard to know what to make of The Times story run this week on the alleged intention of Qatar to create a Dream Football League, involving 16 of Europe’s biggest clubs in a summer tournament in exchange for a fee of €200 million per club. The story has now been vigorously denied by the Qataris, and there have been questions about the sources used by Oliver Kay, the journalist responsible for the story. He may have been misled, or he may have got to the story in the early stages of negotiations and thus scuppered the deal.

The outrage expressed in the media, possibly reflective of public opinion, is quite striking. I saw one comment to the effect that “football is not for sale”- one wonders which part of the galaxy this commentator has been living in for the last 30 years. Other comments suggested that this would take football away from its fans- as if only Europe has football fans. An often unspoken element of this analysis is that people who watch football on TV are not “real fans” at all and therefore their interests should be discarded. Presumably people who live outside Europe and watch football on TV are completely unworthy.

If anyone were to suggest that such comments are Eurocentric, xenophobic, Islamaphobic and possibly even racist the denials would be indignant. But what do Europeans expect? What if Qatar were to start their own clubs and just pay the world’s best players to play in Qatar exclusively (much like Messi leaving Argentina to play for a European club)? I think many Europeans would consider that unacceptable too. Effectively Europeans are acting as the same way as the British did until the 1960s- as if they own the game and no one else has a right to play or compete.

The British have struggled to come to terms with the fact that they no longer control a game they invented, I think Europeans more broadly have a similar problem. But there is no doubt that top level sport will migrate away from Europe in decades to come- to the gulf, China and elsewhere. If you doubt this, consider Formula One, which until the turn of the century held more than two thirds of its races in Europe- last year the fraction dropped to nearly one third. Races have migrated because other nations have been prepared to pay more.

bleedblk&gld

Choppin broccoli
Reaction score
This was a poor attempt at recreating the MLS model in Europe.

unfortunately for us in the US, we’re stuck with that **** league

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom