Euro soccer teams intending to form a breakaway league (2 Viewers)

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This was a poor attempt at recreating the MLS model in Europe.

unfortunately for us in the US, we’re stuck with that **** league

I really do wish that MLS had a better product. I have tried to watch it, but the quality is so low, it's difficult. I guess if I had a specific team to root for it would help, but the closest teams to NOLA are probably Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta. There is no way that I will be a fan of any team from Atlanta and I just feel no connection to Houston or Dallas.

But, it wouldn't matter as much if they could just improve the quality of the competition. I think a lot of the issue is that MLS is seen as a retirement league. So, it mostly gets the scraps of young players that the European, Mexican, and South American leagues don't want and old players looking to retire.

OP
guidomerkinsrules

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I really do wish that MLS had a better product. I have tried to watch it, but the quality is so low, it's difficult. I guess if I had a specific team to root for it would help, but the closest teams to NOLA are probably Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta. There is no way that I will be a fan of any team from Atlanta and I just feel no connection to Houston or Dallas.

But, it wouldn't matter as much if they could just improve the quality of the competition. I think a lot of the issue is that MLS is seen as a retirement league. So, it mostly gets the scraps of young players that the European, Mexican, and South American leagues don't want and old players looking to retire.
LAFC is a fun watch and their crowd is nuts (obviously that's not a major covid concern)

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
LAFC is a fun watch and their crowd is nuts (obviously that's not a major covid concern)

Yeah, I just find it hard to be a fan of an LA team. I do think the product on the field has gotten a little better over the years, but it has been a really slow process. I really expected MLS to improve much faster than it has. I guess I always figured with all the young kids playing soccer in the U.S. for the last 20 years would have really created a boon for MLS, but I think those kids care more about watching YouTube and Twitch than watching professional sports.

OP
guidomerkinsrules

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I just find it hard to be a fan of an LA team. I do think the product on the field has gotten a little better over the years, but it has been a really slow process. I really expected MLS to improve much faster than it has. I guess I always figured with all the young kids playing soccer in the U.S. for the last 20 years would have really created a boon for MLS, but I think those kids care more about watching YouTube and Twitch than watching professional sports.
this is usually the point where bleedblk&gld chimes in about the for profit 'training' structure of US soccer as well as the dysfunctional relationship of the competing semi-pro leagues all thwart US player development
and it sure seems like he's right

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
this is usually the point where bleedblk&gld chimes in about the for profit 'training' structure of US soccer as well as the dysfunctional relationship of the competing semi-pro leagues all thwart US player development
and it sure seems like he's right

I don't know about all that, but it does make me more comfortable when our USMNT players are doing their club play in Europe.

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
Reaction score
This was a poor attempt at recreating the MLS model in Europe.

unfortunately for us in the US, we’re stuck with that **** league

go ahead...admit it. its the artificial fields that make it so. ;)

i cant stand watching on artificial turf. It should be banned and every stadium with it should have natural grass.

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
Reaction score

its development.

Dont know if you caught the US mens Olympic qualification....that team was primarily MLS players. Kries was coaching. It was evident by game 2 that the level of development of MLS players still hasnt come to fruition. We lost in semifinals to Honduras. It was one of the more maddening matches because our team looked lost and out of shape. Now, there is some truth to the fact that this qualification took place OUTSIDE of MLS season, so it stands to reason players playing 3 matches in 10 days would not be fully fit.

However, this is US MNT....if you cant find your fitness and skill representing country, i dont know what to tell you. It was pitiful to watch Honduras boss our players and just "want it more".

OP
guidomerkinsrules

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
its development.

Dont know if you caught the US mens Olympic qualification....that team was primarily MLS players. Kries was coaching. It was evident by game 2 that the level of development of MLS players still hasnt come to fruition. We lost in semifinals to Honduras. It was one of the more maddening matches because our team looked lost and out of shape. Now, there is some truth to the fact that this qualification took place OUTSIDE of MLS season, so it stands to reason players playing 3 matches in 10 days would not be fully fit.

However, this is US MNT....if you cant find your fitness and skill representing country, i dont know what to tell you. It was pitiful to watch Honduras boss our players and just "want it more".
That match was stupid

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
its development.

Yep. I watched it. It was bad. No reason USMNT should not be able to handle Honduras at this point.

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
Reaction score
Yep. I watched it. It was bad. No reason USMNT should not be able to handle Honduras at this point.

agreed.

A Honduran team comprised of own and NASL players ( tier 2 in US if you will )

Not sure what the disconnect is when it comes to development, but its evident that if you have "it" ability, take it overseas. There is no one on this planet to convince me that Pulisic becomes who he is today by playing MLS.
We are like 25 years into this. I was fully prepared to give them 20. 25 i figured we would be ruling Concacaf Club play and selling players to bigger clubs and developing new ones and attracting some decent players from abroad.
But 25 years in and we are the "walmart greeter" of soccer leagues. I think money has much to do with and these club owners dont wish to invest 10s of millions in staffing/training/development and players for returns 10 years down line. They want returns now.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
agreed.

A Honduran team comprised of own and NASL players ( tier 2 in US if you will )

Not sure what the disconnect is when it comes to development, but its evident that if you have "it" ability, take it overseas. There is no one on this planet to convince me that Pulisic becomes who he is today by playing MLS.
We are like 25 years into this. I was fully prepared to give them 20. 25 i figured we would be ruling Concacaf Club play and selling players to bigger clubs and developing new ones and attracting some decent players from abroad.
But 25 years in and we are the "walmart greeter" of soccer leagues. I think money has much to do with and these club owners dont wish to invest 10s of millions in staffing/training/development and players for returns 10 years down line. They want returns now.

I don't disagree with any of this. I just keep hoping that the momentum built over the past 5 years or so lasts. We have seen MLS open in new markets and do really well. We have seen cities build new, soccer-dedicated stadiums for MLS clubs that are outstanding. These developments were not obvious to anyone 15 years ago.

I do worry about sustaining the same level of interest. The USMNT qualification failures (both WC and Olympics) are huge drags on enthusiasm. The re-orientation of how European soccer is broadcast in the US hasn't been smooth and is also a drag on US enthusiasm. And then Covid. Just seems like things have gotten really choppy.

But on the upside, MLS ratings continue to perform reasonably well relative to other sports. We do have core of young players that are getting quality time on quality sides in Europe.

Just continue hoping for the best I guess.

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
Reaction score
I don't disagree with any of this. I just keep hoping that the momentum built over the past 5 years or so lasts. We have seen MLS open in new markets and do really well. We have seen cities build new, soccer-dedicated stadiums for MLS clubs that are outstanding. These developments were not obvious to anyone 15 years ago.

I do worry about sustaining the same level of interest. The USMNT qualification failures (both WC and Olympics) are huge drags on enthusiasm. The re-orientation of how European soccer is broadcast in the US hasn't been smooth and is also a drag on US enthusiasm. And then Covid. Just seems like things have gotten really choppy.

But on the upside, MLS ratings continue to perform reasonably well relative to other sports. We do have core of young players that are getting quality time on quality sides in Europe.

Just continue hoping for the best I guess.
and i will ( hope for best )

And yes, missing WC and Olympics is a huge drag on MLS. But look no further than the current US MNT roster and each player respective club. For the March friendlies, 26 players were called. OF the 26, 2 played in MLS. TWO. The training/development/coaching they get is just so much better overseas. I thought we would have made up some ground, but it kinda seems the gap has widened.

But what good will expansion be if the development pool is same? Now its even more diluted. Americans love winners. The MLS teams have some supporters, but only some of the major squads ( LAFC/NYCFC/Portland/Seattle) our stadiums hold 25k and its only packed if the team is top of table in some cities. For everywhere else, its a religion to be at the pitch on gameday. Packed. Will we get there? i believe so. But that means $$$$ spent now on development and retaining star players that will attract other star players for competition.

MLS faces an uphill battle when it comes to league hierarchy. The world ( outside Asia ) has had a 70 year head start.

i did not think that MLS would be competitive with say EPL in 25 years. But i did think that we would have generated much more homegrown talent and keeping them domestically by now.

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
Reaction score
as an aside...if you havent seen the current USMNT youth play, you are in for a treat. Im totally stoked for this youth movement.

We still miss that goal poacher ( Cavani type that just always seems to be around the goal in proper position ) but i think we arent far off.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
as an aside...if you havent seen the current USMNT youth play, you are in for a treat. Im totally stoked for this youth movement.

We still miss that goal poacher ( Cavani type that just always seems to be around the goal in proper position ) but i think we arent far off.

That player exists. Folarin Balogun who is 19 and just signed a new 4 year deal with Arsenal is potentially a great CF with speed to run the channels and the size to distribute the ball in hold up play. He had a lot of offers but finally chose Arsenal since he has been with them since he was like 13. He is training with the Arsenal first team now and Arteta has indicated that he will have a serious shot at playing with the first team next season.

But, he is eligible to play for the U.S., England, and Nigeria. He has been playing for the English youth teams, but has appeared for the U.S. U18s. But, given the amount of competition for the English team, he may be persuaded to play from the USMNT, which is probably more attractive than playing for Nigeria.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom