Euro soccer teams intending to form a breakaway league (1 Viewer)

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
Reaction score
That player exists. Folarin Balogun who is 19 and just signed a new 4 year deal with Arsenal is potentially a great CF with speed to run the channels and the size to distribute the ball in hold up play. He had a lot of offers but finally chose Arsenal since he has been with them since he was like 13. He is training with the Arsenal first team now and Arteta has indicated that he will have a serious shot at playing with the first team next season.

But, he is eligible to play for the U.S., England, and Nigeria. He has been playing for the English youth teams, but has appeared for the U.S. U18s. But, given the amount of competition for the English team, he may be persuaded to play from the USMNT, which is probably more attractive than playing for Nigeria.
good. i cant wait to get him his 3 caps and solidify his USMNT spot.

Im still eager to see Josh Sergeant get a full 90 with starting 11.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
this is usually the point where bleedblk&gld chimes in about the for profit 'training' structure of US soccer as well as the dysfunctional relationship of the competing semi-pro leagues all thwart US player development
and it sure seems like he's right

I would add that the youth system is screwed up beyond belief....mostly driven by the almighty dollar and “win now”.....real player development is mostly an afterthought....Both my sons played in the NCSL, supposed to be the premier travel league in the DC metro area....there were some Latino rec teams that regularly beat these ”elite“ travel teams in tournaments and friendlies....I’m convinced that many of the best US youth soccer players never get a chance due to financial issues....that doesn’t happen in Spain, England, Brazil or Argentina (and most other European and South American countries) because the focus (and the mega clubs involvement) is more on player development....I mean you guys know the Dempsey story right? If it weren’t for the other parents on that little Texas travel team then one of the best players in USMT history would have never seen the field.....

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Probably not going to happen. The Kroenke's have denied that they are willing to sell several times recently, including after word of this bid came out. And, as with most billionaires, owning Arsenal isn't really about the money, it's about the prestige of owning a Premier League team, especially a global brand one like Arsenal. And, I think it's even less likely to happen since the reported offer from Eck is $1.8 billion and Arsenal is valued at $2 billion. They might consider selling if he offers well over market value, but they aren't likely to sell below or close to market value.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like the owners may have unintentionally tapped into some very raw feelings.

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
Reaction score
Looks like the owners may have unintentionally tapped into some very raw feelings.

Yep and delayed the Manchester v Liverpool match and very well may cancel the match.

Live shots show sparse amount of protesters, but the teams are taking no chances, and waiting for it to basically resolve before showing up.
Just now they attacked an auto that made a u turn and took off. No clue who was in the car.

OP
guidomerkinsrules

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
this is a pickle
certainly i don't want to back the Bucs owner
and feel a certain way about them (et al) giving UEFA, FIFA more power with that hamfisted superleague coup they tried to pull
BUT
i'm having a hard time seeing Brits fans as vanguards of principled stances
yes, this comes on the heels of the superleague headache, but also follows even more closely, EPL players boycotting racism from their 'fans'
plus
it was hard seeing the fans today as anything more than drunker Proud Boys, and yes, hooligans
(while fulling recognizing the 'other side' will be all 'What about BLM?!??!)

has BoJo poured any gas on this yet?

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
this is a pickle
certainly i don't want to back the Bucs owner
and feel a certain way about them (et al) giving UEFA, FIFA more power with that hamfisted superleague coup they tried to pull
BUT
i'm having a hard time seeing Brits fans as vanguards of principled stances
yes, this comes on the heels of the superleague headache, but also follows even more closely, EPL players boycotting racism from their 'fans'
plus
it was hard seeing the fans today as anything more than drunker Proud Boys, and yes, hooligans
(while fulling recognizing the 'other side' will be all 'What about BLM?!??!)

has BoJo poured any gas on this yet?

Yeah, this looked like a bunch of drunk hooligans who are likely the same ones that cause the racism issues on Social Media. Is this the "class" they were demanding?

And, it appears this isn't about the Super League anymore. They are protesting the Glazers and how they have managed the team. The team that the Glazers pump around 200 million pounds into every year just on transfer fees, not even to mention player salaries.

Honestly, this smacks of English nationalism. It just seems to offend them that Americans own some of their teams. Seems to have the same source of much of the Brexit sentiment.

OP
guidomerkinsrules

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, this looked like a bunch of drunk hooligans who are likely the same ones that cause the racism issues on Social Media. Is this the "class" they were demanding?

And, it appears this isn't about the Super League anymore. They are protesting the Glazers and how they have managed the team. The team that the Glazers pump around 200 million pounds into every year just on transfer fees, not even to mention player salaries.

Honestly, this smacks of English nationalism. It just seems to offend them that Americans own some of their teams. Seems to have the same source of much of the Brexit sentiment.
Anglos had a good run
But it might be time for us to sit out a century or so, collect our breath, maybe get a hobby

Arathrael

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score

Even as a Liverpool supporter, I have to say, this isn't entirely accurate.

Man Utd supporters have been protesting the Glazers literally since the moment they bought the club; not because they're American, but because their leveraged takeover involved putting £525m of borrowing on to the club, which was previously debt-free.

As for the Glazers 'pumping money in', well, no? They've continued to take money out. Quite a lot of it over the years. I can see why Man Utd fans would be a bit annoyed when it's not how other clubs are being run (see, e.g., this article).

So this isn't a new protest, this is very much the same protest that's been continuing for over 15 years. The Super League thing has just poured petrol on it.

That said, yes, a bunch of those involved do look like a bunch of drunk hooligans, because they are, and a lot of those protesting (not all) miss the point. While it's true some owners do put money in and take none out, it's naive to think all wealthy owners are going to do that, and just demanding the bad billionaires sell the club to some good billionaires isn't really rational or going to solve anything, when what they're objecting to is really an inevitable product of the system in place. It's like demanding a good king instead of a mad king. The problem is the whole king thing. You're always going to get mad ones.

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
Reaction score
Even as a Liverpool supporter, I have to say, this isn't entirely accurate.

Man Utd supporters have been protesting the Glazers literally since the moment they bought the club; not because they're American, but because their leveraged takeover involved putting £525m of borrowing on to the club, which was previously debt-free.

As for the Glazers 'pumping money in', well, no? They've continued to take money out. Quite a lot of it over the years. I can see why Man Utd fans would be a bit annoyed when it's not how other clubs are being run (see, e.g., this article).

So this isn't a new protest, this is very much the same protest that's been continuing for over 15 years. The Super League thing has just poured petrol on it.

That said, yes, a bunch of those involved do look like a bunch of drunk hooligans, because they are, and a lot of those protesting (not all) miss the point. While it's true some owners do put money in and take none out, it's naive to think all wealthy owners are going to do that, and just demanding the bad billionaires sell the club to some good billionaires isn't really rational or going to solve anything, when what they're objecting to is really an inevitable product of the system in place. It's like demanding a good king instead of a mad king. The problem is the whole king thing. You're always going to get mad ones.

Great article you posted.

As a Manchester United supporter for over 20 years now, I never really thought of ownership because I was spoiled by the earlier years of my support when there really was no issue (late 90s to early 2000s).

That article is quite informative and puts the Glazers in a much different light for me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom