Euro soccer teams intending to form a breakaway league (1 Viewer)

More information on the specifics. It appears it would just replace the Champions League for the teams involved and there would be 5 spots in the league that are based on some sort of qualification. Sounds kind of like 5 spots will be tied to some sort of relegation system, but it's not clear from this. So, I'm not sure why the domestic leagues should care other than that they have allegiance to money and kick backs from FIFA.

https://www.otbsports.com/soccer/super-league-champions-league-1181522

This is going to be fascinating going forward
Most public conversations seem like they’ll be like the below- 1/2 impassioned take and 1/2 corporate shill

This is going to be fascinating going forward
Most public conversations seem like they’ll be like the below- 1/2 impassioned take and 1/2 corporate shill

It's weird, the long time British EPL fans seem to think this is some kind of disaster and the end of English football. It's like they think that these teams are really still their neighborhood or city club and that they hadn't long since become brands. And it's strange, because they demand that their owners spend to compete with all huge clubs paying out 50 to 70 million pounds for players and they demand that the EPL have the best players in the world, but they don't want them to find ways to generate more revenue. Maybe American sports fans have just grown cynical about the nature of professional sports, but the British fans seem to be naive about how professional sports works.

So, here is the format of the new competition:

Competition format
  • 20 participating clubs with 15 Founding Clubs and a qualifying mechanism for a further five teams to qualify annually based on achievements in the prior season.
  • Midweek fixtures with all participating clubs continuing to compete in their respective national leagues, preserving the traditional domestic match calendar which remains at the heart of the club game.
  • An August start with clubs participating in two groups of ten, playing home and away fixtures, with the top three in each group automatically qualifying for the quarter finals. Teams finishing fourth and fifth will then compete in a two-legged play-off for the remaining quarter-final positions. A two-leg knockout format will be used to reach the final at the end of May, which will be staged as a single fixture at a neutral venue.
I also found it very interesting that they plan to start a Super League for women's teams as well. I could be wrong, but to my knowledge, there is no other such competition for women's teams at this point:

"As soon as practicable after the start of the men’s competition, a corresponding women’s league will also be launched, helping to advance and develop the women’s game."

I'm having a really hard time figuring out why so many are reacting so dramatically negative against the idea of this. It's just competition for the Champions League. And, it includes relegation of 5 teams (not including the founding 15) ever year. And, let's be honest, that's basically how the EPL works. There are probably 15 teams that have virtually no chance of being relegated every year.

Competition format
  • 20 participating clubs with 15 Founding Clubs and a qualifying mechanism for a further five teams to qualify annually based on achievements in the prior season.
  • Midweek fixtures with all participating clubs continuing to compete in their respective national leagues, preserving the traditional domestic match calendar which remains at the heart of the club game.
  • An August start with clubs participating in two groups of ten, playing home and away fixtures, with the top three in each group automatically qualifying for the quarter finals. Teams finishing fourth and fifth will then compete in a two-legged play-off for the remaining quarter-final positions. A two-leg knockout format will be used to reach the final at the end of May, which will be staged as a single fixture at a neutral venue.
I also found it very interesting that they plan to start a Super League for women's teams as well. I could be wrong, but to my knowledge, there is no other such competition for women's teams at this point:

"As soon as practicable after the start of the men’s competition, a corresponding women’s league will also be launched, helping to advance and develop the women’s game."

I'm having a really hard time figuring out why so many are reacting so dramatically negative against the idea of this. It's just competition for the Champions League. And, it includes relegation of 5 teams (not including the founding 15) ever year. And, let's be honest, that's basically how the EPL works. There are probably 15 teams that have virtually no chance of being relegated every year.
Yeah, I didn’t know what to make of it at first, but it’s getting harder to see the downside
have you heard why Bundes is not part of this?

Yeah, I didn’t know what to make of it at first, but it’s getting harder to see the downside

I've been reading that most of those clubs have a high percentage of fan ownership so getting everyone in line is a bit harder. I don't think there's anyway it kicks off without Bayern in it at the least but they're probably waiting to jump in. If they go then Dortmund will almost assuredly follow as they won't want to be left on the outside looking in.

I'm disappointed the likes of Ajax haven't been invited, I know the Dutch league isn't seen as elite anymore but they're historically a huge club, you can probably say similar about PSV as well.

Just read a few articles on it.

So from my understanding, if these teams join, they will be banned from domestic league play. But from everything I've read they fully intend to play domestic and the ESL simply replaces CL fixtures.

Here is what I dont like. Lack of competition. While I'm a die hard Manchester United fan, I'm also a soccer fan. And I do like CL format because every now and again you get a team like Galatasaray that finds itself defying odds (take RB Leipzig last year punching above its weight class). Those matches are enthralling.

Now I'll get to see Chelsea play any number of the top 15 clubs thru a 10 game round robin moving to a playoff for top 4 from each 10 team division. While I think it would be great footie, I would miss the "David VS Goliath" matches.

Still looking for the "reason" for this move. Some say money some say scheduling. But if reports that each club will receive $400mm for joining, then it's money.

And if they can't play domestically, am I gonna watch Manchester United play Real Madrind 8 times in 6 mo?

Competition format

Wouldn't it be something if PSG, Bayern, BD, and a few others remain CL... And then you have a Super super final with CL winner VS ESL winner?

But for 400mm entry payment (that's to the club not to join) I don't see how these big clubs say no.

German clubs have 50+1 rule... Fans own 51% of club and there is speculation that's why.

PsG is worried about "financial measures ( I read salary cap) that will inhibit their ability to use full funds for attracting players.

German clubs have 50+1 rule... Fans own 51% of club and there is speculation that's why.

PsG is worried about "financial measures ( I read salary cap) that will inhibit their ability to use full funds for attracting players.

It's those financial measures with UEFA/FIFA refusing to adequately enforce FFP that are pretty much exactly why this league makes sense for everyone besides Manchester City and PSG, but will they want to be left on the outside looking in? I think City has already decided they want in, can't see PSG not ultimately doing it. I did read speculation it might have to do with the Qatar WC as well.

Just read a few articles on it.

So from my understanding, if these teams join, they will be banned from domestic league play. But from everything I've read they fully intend to play domestic and the ESL simply replaces CL fixtures.

Here is what I dont like. Lack of competition. While I'm a die hard Manchester United fan, I'm also a soccer fan. And I do like CL format because every now and again you get a team like Galatasaray that finds itself defying odds (take RB Leipzig last year punching above its weight class). Those matches are enthralling.

Now I'll get to see Chelsea play any number of the top 15 clubs thru a 10 game round robin moving to a playoff for top 4 from each 10 team division. While I think it would be great footie, I would miss the "David VS Goliath" matches.

Still looking for the "reason" for this move. Some say money some say scheduling. But if reports that each club will receive $400mm for joining, then it's money.

And if they can't play domestically, am I gonna watch Manchester United play Real Madrind 8 times in 6 mo?
Doesn’t really effect EPL does it? Fulham still gets to Fulham

Doesn’t really effect EPL does it? Fulham still gets to Fulham

And give up a goal in the 97th min of a 97 min match?

I was actually mad that the goal stood. They deemed that offside player never affected the play, but as a prior GK, I know he was in the vision of the Fulham keeper making him think.

I just remember seeing the Fulham manager close up of him literally having a conversation with himself after the goal, as he paced back n forth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom