Euro soccer teams intending to form a breakaway league (2 Viewers)

When talking sports, fútbol (soccer) is my first love, I played for many years as a goalkeeper.

When growing up as a child, we all soccer fans grow up hoping to play for country on the World Cup, there is no event like it.

I was able to watch many memorable matches, including the famous "hand of God" match at the Mexican World Cup of 1986.

On a team level, there is no better competition than the Champions League. In order to play the Champions, you have to be a top team of your national league. You have to earn it.

And that is the thing that is discouraging of this SuperLeague, you have the same suspects (the super rich) plus others invited.

It is like the Giants, Cowboys get their own league to avoid the draft, salary cap, etc, just because they have the money to do so.

Teams like Leicester, the surprise champion of the Premier League, will not participate if not invited, and rich mediocre teams like Arsenal will keep a seat in the tournament.

I am totally against this. In the current format we still see the quarters and semifinals between the teams joining the super league, but this league frankly destroys the element of surprise.

The reasons for these teams to build the super league are frankly ridiculous, Manchester United gets 83 million a year from the sponsorship of GM. I don't think the NFL was getting as much from them. And we are talking about ONE team.

It is the sad game we are seeing everywhere of the rich trying to get richer by setting their own rules.

FIFA is a terrible organization, but they market a worldwide product like any other corporation worldwide, something the Superleague won't be able to duplicate by themselves.

FYI 2021-22 payrolls
MUFC - $175mm
Chelsea $132mm
Man City $136mm

Liverpool- $135mm

But i get what you are saying in essence. But Liverpool is one of the bigger spending clubs as of last several years and continued success will simply make that number climb.

I suspect that David De Geas days are numbered at MUFC especially at a $20mm/yr contract and the fact that we are seeing Dean Henderson more and more both UEFA and PL play.

income inequality is everywhere. from sports to real life. How do you avoid it?

Id like to really see them promote from their respective schools. Unfortunately you dont get a Marcus Rashford every year.

I hear you about Liverpool, but a large part of that is all the money Liverpool got from Barca for Coutinho. Without that, they are much further behind. Also, I assume those numbers don't count the costs of buying players? I think Chelsea and Man U spent more than that just on transfer fees in 2021-2022. And, I think Liverpool is at the point where they are going to have to rebuild soon because their players are getting older. They are a smart club and may be able to sustain for awhile with smart purchases especially if they keep Klopp. But, in the end, Man U, Man City, and Chelsea have the money to buy themselves out of a lot of mistakes. Liverpool and the rest of the league don't have that kind of money. They have to be nearly perfect.

As far as how to fix it, I think it starts with real enforcement of a real FFP by FIFA and EUFA. Right now, it's just a joke with too many loopholes and if they do violate it, they just buy a bunch of players before they get their 1 year ban, wait one year, and do it again.

Another option is a system similar to the home grown rule, but make teams have a certain number of players from their academy on their squad, not just players that are home grown by the fairly broad FA definition. That way you can't just buy the best players. Of course, teams will just try to buy them young but at least there is a chance to develop a diamond in the ruff or two.

When talking sports, fútbol (soccer) is my first love, I played for many years as a goalkeeper.

When growing up as a child, we all soccer fans grow up hoping to play for country on the World Cup, there is no event like it.

I was able to watch many memorable matches, including the famous "hand of God" match at the Mexican World Cup of 1986.

On a team level, there is no better competition than the Champions League. In order to play the Champions, you have to be a top team of your national league. You have to earn it.

And that is the thing that is discouraging of this SuperLeague, you have the same suspects (the super rich) plus others invited.

It is like the Giants, Cowboys get their own league to avoid the draft, salary cap, etc, just because they have the money to do so.
But, stopping the Super League doesn't really change the fact that the richest teams in the world PSG, Man City, Man U, Chelsea, Barca, Real Madrid, and a few others can basically buy league and Champions League trophies. As I've said before, the Champions League is basically a De Facto Super League anyway. Occasionally, a surprise team wins or gets to the final, but it probably doesn't happen any more than it would have with the 5 wild card teams in the Super League. Like I've said before, I don't think the Super League fixed anything, but the status quo isn't great either and I'm not sure that the Super League was really worse.

And to use your NFL analogy, the current system is like the NFL was before the salary cap, except at least the NFL had the draft to stop the Cowboys and Giants from signing every great player and forcing smaller teams to sell their best players.

Widge, with the Brit teams leaving the Super League us dead.
I agree with you that the Champions is almost a de facto Super League. The difference is teams like Sevilla or Leicester can surprise, and also that teams from other countries like Ajax, PSV with less budget are always competing.

interesting to see now the consequences on Florentino Pérez of Real Madrid as well as some nor popular owners at the Premier League.

Widge, with the Brit teams leaving the Super League us dead.
I agree with you that the Champions is almost a de facto Super League. The difference is teams like Sevilla or Leicester can surprise, and also that teams from other countries like Ajax, PSV with less budget are always competing.

interesting to see now the consequences on Florentino Pérez of Real Madrid as well as some nor popular owners at the Premier League.

I know the Super League is dead. Although there are stories out that that the non-English teams intent to continue with the plan, I really doubt they can go through with it without the English teams, PSG, Bayern, and Dortmund.

Teams like Sevilla or Leicester can compete, but they are generally not going to get past the semis much less win it. I'm just not sure that's really more competitive than letting in 5 wild card teams a year the way the Super League planned to do.

Anway, it's over now, but there is a lot of work to be done regarding financial fair play and the finances of the game. The gap is continuing to grow even bigger between the elite and also rans of the sport. And there seem to be fewer elite teams.

So it’s not going to happen now?
Nope. At least not for now.

It all seems ill-conceived. Did they not think UEFA was gonna flip and bring all the leverage it could against them (including threats from the FAs)? If you’re gonna pull a power play like that, you have your sheet lined up and you take the heat that you know is coming and have calculated you can survive - otherwise what’s the point?

Nope. At least not for now.

It all seems ill-conceived. Did they not think UEFA was gonna flip and bring all the leverage it could against them (including threats from the FAs)? If you’re gonna pull a power play like that, you have your sheet lined up and you take the heat that you know is coming and have calculated you can survive - otherwise what’s the point?
I don't think they cared at all about UEFA (they were all reportedly leaving the organization) and FIFA's idle threats to devalue their flagship competition when they're already under fire for it being during winter and in Qatar next time around. I don't even think they cared much about the Premier League threatening to ban them, as those 6 bring the TV money and could've theoretically just poached some higher profile (and arguably more historic) championship teams to start a new domestic league and kill the PL as it stood.

The fan revolt was what forced them to bail on the idea and nothing else. Sure Sky and BT's media blitz didn't help but if the fans didn't react the way they did I think they'd have told those to kick rocks as well.

The absolutely shilling about Man City and Chelsea being saviors here is as big a joke as anything. Also UEFAs CL reforms are just as bad as this super league idea, and worse for me when you consider UEFA is still in control of it. It's been reported though that UEFA paid the 6 english teams off to leave it.

Fans and pundits are calling for heads to roll in club ownership. Jamie Carragher is calling for ownership changes at Liverpool.

The fan revolt was what forced them to bail on the idea and nothing else. Sure Sky and BT's media blitz didn't help but if the fans didn't react the way they did I think they'd have told those to kick rocks as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom