Euro soccer teams intending to form a breakaway league (1 Viewer)

That match was stupid

and keep in mind- we havent qualified for Olympics since 2008.

Christian @#$@$# Pulisic has YET to play in Olympics. ( as one of 3 designated players ) ITs been THAT long.

I was crushed when we lost knowing its not happening for him YET AGAIN.

its development.

Dont know if you caught the US mens Olympic qualification....that team was primarily MLS players. Kries was coaching. It was evident by game 2 that the level of development of MLS players still hasnt come to fruition. We lost in semifinals to Honduras. It was one of the more maddening matches because our team looked lost and out of shape. Now, there is some truth to the fact that this qualification took place OUTSIDE of MLS season, so it stands to reason players playing 3 matches in 10 days would not be fully fit.

However, this is US MNT....if you cant find your fitness and skill representing country, i dont know what to tell you. It was pitiful to watch Honduras boss our players and just "want it more".

Yep. I watched it. It was bad. No reason USMNT should not be able to handle Honduras at this point.

Yep. I watched it. It was bad. No reason USMNT should not be able to handle Honduras at this point.

agreed.

A Honduran team comprised of own and NASL players ( tier 2 in US if you will )

Not sure what the disconnect is when it comes to development, but its evident that if you have "it" ability, take it overseas. There is no one on this planet to convince me that Pulisic becomes who he is today by playing MLS.
We are like 25 years into this. I was fully prepared to give them 20. 25 i figured we would be ruling Concacaf Club play and selling players to bigger clubs and developing new ones and attracting some decent players from abroad.
But 25 years in and we are the "walmart greeter" of soccer leagues. I think money has much to do with and these club owners dont wish to invest 10s of millions in staffing/training/development and players for returns 10 years down line. They want returns now.

agreed.

A Honduran team comprised of own and NASL players ( tier 2 in US if you will )

Not sure what the disconnect is when it comes to development, but its evident that if you have "it" ability, take it overseas. There is no one on this planet to convince me that Pulisic becomes who he is today by playing MLS.
We are like 25 years into this. I was fully prepared to give them 20. 25 i figured we would be ruling Concacaf Club play and selling players to bigger clubs and developing new ones and attracting some decent players from abroad.
But 25 years in and we are the "walmart greeter" of soccer leagues. I think money has much to do with and these club owners dont wish to invest 10s of millions in staffing/training/development and players for returns 10 years down line. They want returns now.

I don't disagree with any of this. I just keep hoping that the momentum built over the past 5 years or so lasts. We have seen MLS open in new markets and do really well. We have seen cities build new, soccer-dedicated stadiums for MLS clubs that are outstanding. These developments were not obvious to anyone 15 years ago.

I do worry about sustaining the same level of interest. The USMNT qualification failures (both WC and Olympics) are huge drags on enthusiasm. The re-orientation of how European soccer is broadcast in the US hasn't been smooth and is also a drag on US enthusiasm. And then Covid. Just seems like things have gotten really choppy.

But on the upside, MLS ratings continue to perform reasonably well relative to other sports. We do have core of young players that are getting quality time on quality sides in Europe.

Just continue hoping for the best I guess.

I don't disagree with any of this. I just keep hoping that the momentum built over the past 5 years or so lasts. We have seen MLS open in new markets and do really well. We have seen cities build new, soccer-dedicated stadiums for MLS clubs that are outstanding. These developments were not obvious to anyone 15 years ago.

I do worry about sustaining the same level of interest. The USMNT qualification failures (both WC and Olympics) are huge drags on enthusiasm. The re-orientation of how European soccer is broadcast in the US hasn't been smooth and is also a drag on US enthusiasm. And then Covid. Just seems like things have gotten really choppy.

But on the upside, MLS ratings continue to perform reasonably well relative to other sports. We do have core of young players that are getting quality time on quality sides in Europe.

Just continue hoping for the best I guess.
and i will ( hope for best )

And yes, missing WC and Olympics is a huge drag on MLS. But look no further than the current US MNT roster and each player respective club. For the March friendlies, 26 players were called. OF the 26, 2 played in MLS. TWO. The training/development/coaching they get is just so much better overseas. I thought we would have made up some ground, but it kinda seems the gap has widened.

But what good will expansion be if the development pool is same? Now its even more diluted. Americans love winners. The MLS teams have some supporters, but only some of the major squads ( LAFC/NYCFC/Portland/Seattle) our stadiums hold 25k and its only packed if the team is top of table in some cities. For everywhere else, its a religion to be at the pitch on gameday. Packed. Will we get there? i believe so. But that means $$$$ spent now on development and retaining star players that will attract other star players for competition.

MLS faces an uphill battle when it comes to league hierarchy. The world ( outside Asia ) has had a 70 year head start.

i did not think that MLS would be competitive with say EPL in 25 years. But i did think that we would have generated much more homegrown talent and keeping them domestically by now.

as an aside...if you havent seen the current USMNT youth play, you are in for a treat. Im totally stoked for this youth movement.

We still miss that goal poacher ( Cavani type that just always seems to be around the goal in proper position ) but i think we arent far off.

as an aside...if you havent seen the current USMNT youth play, you are in for a treat. Im totally stoked for this youth movement.

We still miss that goal poacher ( Cavani type that just always seems to be around the goal in proper position ) but i think we arent far off.

That player exists. Folarin Balogun who is 19 and just signed a new 4 year deal with Arsenal is potentially a great CF with speed to run the channels and the size to distribute the ball in hold up play. He had a lot of offers but finally chose Arsenal since he has been with them since he was like 13. He is training with the Arsenal first team now and Arteta has indicated that he will have a serious shot at playing with the first team next season.

But, he is eligible to play for the U.S., England, and Nigeria. He has been playing for the English youth teams, but has appeared for the U.S. U18s. But, given the amount of competition for the English team, he may be persuaded to play from the USMNT, which is probably more attractive than playing for Nigeria.

That player exists. Folarin Balogun who is 19 and just signed a new 4 year deal with Arsenal is potentially a great CF with speed to run the channels and the size to distribute the ball in hold up play. He had a lot of offers but finally chose Arsenal since he has been with them since he was like 13. He is training with the Arsenal first team now and Arteta has indicated that he will have a serious shot at playing with the first team next season.

But, he is eligible to play for the U.S., England, and Nigeria. He has been playing for the English youth teams, but has appeared for the U.S. U18s. But, given the amount of competition for the English team, he may be persuaded to play from the USMNT, which is probably more attractive than playing for Nigeria.
good. i cant wait to get him his 3 caps and solidify his USMNT spot.

Im still eager to see Josh Sergeant get a full 90 with starting 11.

this is usually the point where bleedblk&gld chimes in about the for profit 'training' structure of US soccer as well as the dysfunctional relationship of the competing semi-pro leagues all thwart US player development
and it sure seems like he's right

I would add that the youth system is screwed up beyond belief....mostly driven by the almighty dollar and “win now”.....real player development is mostly an afterthought....Both my sons played in the NCSL, supposed to be the premier travel league in the DC metro area....there were some Latino rec teams that regularly beat these ”elite“ travel teams in tournaments and friendlies....I’m convinced that many of the best US youth soccer players never get a chance due to financial issues....that doesn’t happen in Spain, England, Brazil or Argentina (and most other European and South American countries) because the focus (and the mega clubs involvement) is more on player development....I mean you guys know the Dempsey story right? If it weren’t for the other parents on that little Texas travel team then one of the best players in USMT history would have never seen the field.....

Probably not going to happen. The Kroenke's have denied that they are willing to sell several times recently, including after word of this bid came out. And, as with most billionaires, owning Arsenal isn't really about the money, it's about the prestige of owning a Premier League team, especially a global brand one like Arsenal. And, I think it's even less likely to happen since the reported offer from Eck is $1.8 billion and Arsenal is valued at $2 billion. They might consider selling if he offers well over market value, but they aren't likely to sell below or close to market value.

Looks like the owners may have unintentionally tapped into some very raw feelings.

Looks like the owners may have unintentionally tapped into some very raw feelings.

Yep and delayed the Manchester v Liverpool match and very well may cancel the match.

Live shots show sparse amount of protesters, but the teams are taking no chances, and waiting for it to basically resolve before showing up.
Just now they attacked an auto that made a u turn and took off. No clue who was in the car.

this is a pickle
certainly i don't want to back the Bucs owner
and feel a certain way about them (et al) giving UEFA, FIFA more power with that hamfisted superleague coup they tried to pull
BUT
i'm having a hard time seeing Brits fans as vanguards of principled stances
yes, this comes on the heels of the superleague headache, but also follows even more closely, EPL players boycotting racism from their 'fans'
plus
it was hard seeing the fans today as anything more than drunker Proud Boys, and yes, hooligans
(while fulling recognizing the 'other side' will be all 'What about BLM?!??!)

has BoJo poured any gas on this yet?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom