Evacuations ordered over concerns at California dam system (1 Viewer)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Oroville Dam evacuations: Residents near California dam system ordered out - CNN.com

At least 188,000 people have evacuated from several Northern California counties after damage to a spillway at the Oroville Dam.

The dam, which is the nation's tallest, remains intact. But the emergency spillway, which guards against the overflow of the dam when water levels are high, was eroding Sunday.

The damage prompted a mandatory evacuation for cities and counties near Lake Oroville. In the worst case scenario, one official said, an uncontrolled release from the dam could send a 30-foot wall of water downstream.

Heck of a flip since their drought the last couple years. The main dam has a spillway and a secondary emergency spillway. The emergency spillway has never been used and it was is damaged.

After the water subsides, I bet you I know where some infrastructure money will be headed.

ARRRRGGGHHHHHH - you made me click on a Breitbart site:rant:
who knows what kind of absurd spam i'm about to get:angryrazz:

but seriously i was reading through the article and was wondering what in the world was wrong with the author and why have i read any pertinent information yet (like if it's a federal dam and thus the responsibility of the federal govt) and that's when i scrolled up and saw that i was on a site that was about to give me news herpes

I live on a 1,600 acre lake with a subdivision built around it. Our dam is about 150 feet high and I would hate for it to break. We have water go over our emergency spillway every couple of years but have only really come close to losing the dam once in the 50 years since it was built. If it does, it will pretty much wipe out the little town less than a mile away. I can only imagine how much worse it would be for a dam as tall as the one in California.

Couple of things getting flat out abused in this thread. The California water system is a joint project between regional entities, state owned facilities and Federal owned facilities. While Oroville is part of the state system, federal ownership of parts of the system are being effected also. Brown asked for help with people who were evacuated, as we know the Feds have massive resources available on short notice. Also, by asking for a declaration of. Adisaster it frees up federal low interest loans and grants for repairs. It's a practical matter if that spillway ruptures. However, now that they have managed to get the lake down to a level below the emergency spillway there shouldn't be a problem.

The emergency spillway was a last ditch thing that should've never been used, it only was because they were trying to keep pressure on the destroyed lower half of the main spillway. But, that idea didn't work out as well, so it's back to using the damaged main one to bring down the lake level. While it is a serious situation, it's a situation which at this point has been managed as well as can be considering that the main spillway is having a significant issue.

It's all good, and governor Brown is not on board with Calexit. That's some goofy individual, and we all know this state is full of fruits and nuts, some of them even grow on trees

Jeez, the people in the country suck. Almost 200,000 people evacuated, everything they own is at their homes and we are talking politics? Is there no compassion anymore?

1) Trump approved the emergency aid request this evening. It took a while, but to its credit FEMA (whose Obama-appointed administrator has not yet been replaced) got to work well before the presidential declaration was signed.

2) California is a net donor to the federal government so we may as well get the federal benefits we are paying for and subsidizing for the rest of the country. As long as there still are any benefits.

3) As everyone outside the White House knows, this state voted bigly for Hillary, but Butte County, where the dam is located, was one of the largest counties in the state to vote for Trump in the general election: 45,144 to 41,567.

4) Here's an article from The Guardian with a different perspective: Trump supporter evacuated from Oroville dam: 'I feel like a refugee'

Jeez, the people in the country suck. Almost 200,000 people evacuated, everything they own is at their homes and we are talking politics? Is there no compassion anymore?

Just pointing out that when the moment came to express compassion, you chose to talk politics as well

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom