Evacuations ordered over concerns at California dam system (1 Viewer)

I did not delete any posts at all on this thread. I'm just not sure why we are talking politics instead of a little sympathy for these people. I think he is referring to the fact that I said the word "politics" in a post thereby bringing up politics. And in a way I guess he is right.

My post should have been something like this:

I hope these people are safe, and that their homes and possessions are kept safe as well. Saying a prayer for all involved.

Residents return to homes near California dam - CNN.com

Oroville, California (CNN)With the water level at California's Lake Oroville dropping, authorities lifted a mandatory evacuation order, allowing tens of thousands of residents to return to homes near the reservoir's dam.
But Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea on Tuesday cautioned residents and business owners to "maintain situational awareness" with a series of storms forecast for later in the week.

This isn't over yet, significant rainfall headed back to California over the next few days. Some of the models been hitting the area around the dam pretty hard. The good news, if you can call it that, is this is a colder core system and at least the precipt will fall as snow instead of rain at much lower elevations.

Even if they get past this, there will be several more systems before it begins to ease up. Then they will have to deal with the snow melt.

Worse case scenario would be if after these next few systems they get another really warm wet system that dumps rain into the higher elevations while melting the snow pack.

I did not delete any posts at all on this thread. I'm just not sure why we are talking politics instead of a little sympathy for these people. I think he is referring to the fact that I said the word "politics" in a post thereby bringing up politics. And in a way I guess he is right.

I hope these people are safe, and that their homes and possessions are kept safe as well. Saying a prayer for all involved.

I hope these people are safe and their lives are impacted as little as possible because of this.

Us talking politics about their situation doesn't hurt them any more than us expressing our sympathies helps them. It doesn't matter either way.

California would just like some of the money back that they've been sending to D.C. to help fund the red states.

California is like Ruth's Chris Steak House. Their steaks are not really much better but their high prices keep the undesirables out.

The high taxes/fees/housing in Cali has pushed the lower income residents out of the state. Left behind is a densely populated state comprised of wealthier people. They are the Ruth's Chris of the states. Only the rich can afford to live there which creates a beautiful and unique arrangement... for the wealthy.

And yet they have a higher poverty rate than Louisiana. If it were not for the excessive concentration of wealthy people, Cali would be a mess.

Why a lot of people are moving out of California - Nov. 4, 2016

I was was kind of messing with Guido as he had made a political post in is first post but then questioned your political comment which I did not see as political. I did not think you deleted a post but wanted to be sure.

I was was kind of messing with Guido as he had made a political post in is first post but then questioned your political comment which I did not see as political. I did not think you deleted a post but wanted to be sure.

LOONEY made the thread political
commenting on politics is politics
Semper had a fair take but it was cursing the darkness none-the-less -i was merely pointing out the irony (well, not "merely", but...)

California is like Ruth's Chris Steak House. Their steaks are not really much better but their high prices keep the undesirables out.

The high taxes/fees/housing in Cali has pushed the lower income residents out of the state. Left behind is a densely populated state comprised of wealthier people. They are the Ruth's Chris of the states. Only the rich can afford to live there which creates a beautiful and unique arrangement... for the wealthy.

And yet they have a higher poverty rate than Louisiana. If it were not for the excessive concentration of wealthy people, Cali would be a mess.

Why a lot of people are moving out of California - Nov. 4, 2016

Not entirely true, and too simplistic.

Yes, in the larger metropolitan areas it is a massively expensive place to live, but I doubt if you compared apartment/housing costs in NY to SF area or even La/SD you would see a huge amount of difference. You need to remember that the three main cities in this state all have bigger GDPs than a lot of countries.

Now if you get past those areas you have the northern part of the state which is very blue collar lumber and timber product based. This of course goes in cycles and isn't always big money. Then you have the Central Valley which is the agricultural setting. It is what skews California's unemployment numbers. As farming is seasonal, for long periods of time people are out of work. Couple that with the admitted higher costs of this state, it makes life hard on a lot of people in this area. Which is why so many have moved to the south, specifically the shipping and warehouse work in the Atlanta area.

So what you see is people leaving if they don't have a job to support thrift lives in where they are located. T

Just pointing out that when the moment came to express compassion, you chose to talk politics as well

As did you when you responded to Looney at the beginning of this thread. :angryrazz:

But yes, you are correct. Looney started the political direction. I missed that early post of his. :covri:

Not entirely true, and too simplistic.

Yes, in the larger metropolitan areas it is a massively expensive place to live, but I doubt if you compared apartment/housing costs in NY to SF area or even La/SD you would see a huge amount of difference. You need to remember that the three main cities in this state all have bigger GDPs than a lot of countries.

Now if you get past those areas you have the northern part of the state which is very blue collar lumber and timber product based. This of course goes in cycles and isn't always big money. Then you have the Central Valley which is the agricultural setting. It is what skews California's unemployment numbers. As farming is seasonal, for long periods of time people are out of work. Couple that with the admitted higher costs of this state, it makes life hard on a lot of people in this area. Which is why so many have moved to the south, specifically the shipping and warehouse work in the Atlanta area.

So what you see is people leaving if they don't have a job to support thrift lives in where they are located. T

True.

The problem that is created is that the majority of the residents doing the voting are on the wealthy side. They have no problem raising taxes and fees because they can afford it. Those working in farming and timber get the shaft and are the ones affected. Yet all these rich people act like they care about the poor.

***Added the italicized text***

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom