Even with Drew Brees, Sean Payton admits Saints are always looking for quarterbacks (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
snews.gif

By Ryan Wilson -- CBS Sports

Tom Brady is 39 and just a few weeks removed from his latest Super Bowl title. He’s playing so well that there’s no talk of retirement, but of how long he’ll continue to play. And while we don’t have this conversation with the same frequency when talking about 38-year-old Drew Brees, it’s not because he still isn’t playing at a high level but because the Saints haven’t had a winning season since 2013, which is also the last year they made the playoffs.

New Orleans’ struggles are less a reflection of Brees, who ranked second in QB efficiency last season, according to Football Outsiders -- behind only Matt Ryan -- and more to do with the an annually terrible defense. Still, Saints coach Sean Payton knows that Brees can’t play forever, which is why he concedes that the organization is perpetually on the lookout for its next quarterback.

“I think that topic exists and has existed because of the nature of the position,” Payton said to Bruce Murray and Brady Quinn during an appearance on Sirius XM NFL Radio. “I think we’re in the quarterback business always because they’re so difficult to find. And there’s been a year or two we’re close to drafting maybe a player and he went a little before we were ready to pick. And certainly you pay attention to it when your quarterback’s older.”

Full Story -- CBS Sports

Seth Russell is the only QB past round 1 that I would realistically consider drafting.

He has a strong arm and is even good rushing the ball with 138 rush yards coming in one game this year vs Texas.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qdnzmKMub0c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He has first round talent.

If he runs a 4.6 or 4.7 at the combine look for him to be a mid round pick. He has similar talent to Dak Prescott or Ryan Tannehill.

Seth Russell is the only QB past round 1 that I would realistically consider drafting.

He has a strong arm and is even good rushing the ball with 138 rush yards coming in one game this year vs Texas.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qdnzmKMub0c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He has first round talent.

If he runs a 4.6 or 4.7 at the combine look for him to be a mid round pick. He has similar talent to Dak Prescott or Ryan Tannehill.

What about the TexTech guy, Pat Mahonnes (sp?)?

I agree with the end of the article:

&#8220;It&#8217;s an extremely important position for the team and we&#8217;re fortunate, I&#8217;m fortunate, that currently, in our building and on our roster, we have someone that gives us a chance to win each week.&#8221;

With a decidedly weak quarterback prospect class -- in addition to needs up and down the defensive roster -- the Saints aren&#8217;t expected to draft Brees&#8217; successor this spring.

I agree with the end of the article:

i think the strategy for the last 3 or so years has been to develop the defense so it cushions the transition for a new QB
unfortunately injuries and so pretty big early round misses have undermined this plan
but i still think it's a good plan and one that we should stick to this draft

When we picked up Coach Payton, a reputed QB guru who revived Kerry Collins' career, extended Drew Bledsoe's, and turned UDFA Tony Romo into Dallas "golden boy", I thought the Saints would be a QB factory; continually drafting QBs, coaching & polishing 'em up, then trading for other assets of need (or more picks).

I was wrong. Way wrong... At one point in the early 00s, we had Jeff Blake, with Aaron Brooks waiting in the wings. When Brooks ascended, we had Jake Delhomme behind him, and drafted a Mark Bulger. While Brooks continued to pile up records as a starter (before he got paid and imploded), Delhomme left for the Panthers and nearly won a SB before he ran out of time, while Bulger took over the Rams, replacing Kurt Warner and going to the Pro Bowl.

Who would've thought Jim Haslett would turn out more NFL-ready QBs from the Saints than Sean Payton? In fact, Paytons ONLY QB selection while with the Saints appears to be a bust. Bummer....

Payton has been saying this for a couple years now.

What about the TexTech guy, Pat Mahonnes (sp?)?

I like him. I also like Davis Webb in the 2nd or early 3rd. Both have indomitable spirits. Neither are fazed by sacks, INT's, or being behind in the score. They just keep on doing what they do.

So true, you look around the league and ask yourself how many teams have QB's capable of winning a Super Bowl? Probably about seven.

It's fairly clear now that the Garrett Grayson experiment is over. Don't forget the Saints put in a claim for Connor Shaw last offseason but stupidly sent notice to all 31 NFL teams instead of just the NFL front office (ex Loomis right hand man and current Bears GM, Ryan Pace, quickly snatched him up). Shaw is still on the Bears roster.

I for one won't be shocked if the Saints sign or draft another QB. Luke McCown will be 36 years old this summer and is a career backup. Grayson has reached the point where he was bounced off the regular roster and was then released off the practice squad. He was later re signed to a "futures contract" along with TEs Jake Stoneburner, Garrett Griffin, DT Ashaad Mabry DT Justin Zimmer, WR Jordan Williams and OG John Fullington (not exactly a list of guys assured to make the 53 man roster). I look for them to add a new developmental QB this offseason.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom