Ever just been amazed at young talent (1 Viewer)

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’m a teacher. I was chosen to have an observer in my class. In California, kids entering a teaching program have to do hours of observation. I’m one of her last ones. Anyway, she comes in and I could just tell there’s something different about this kid. So instead of just observing, I have her start working with kids as they are working and getting the kids ready in line and such. I was stunned at how she did. So we just got this new math stuff which all revolves around reasoning, convincing and justifying your answers as there are really no “correct” answers. First lesson was set up clearly in the book so I’m like here, you’re going to teach this, figure out how you’re going to do it. Our math coach came in thinking I was going to do it. Nope, I said watch this. Together we have 50 years worth of experience, and our jaws are almost on the floor. Here’s this little 20 year old girl who has calluses on her hands from manual labor in the fields and packing houses (horrible home life and beyond dirt poor) just blowing us away. So this week I’ve been having her do some team teaching and such with me. In 24 years of teaching I’ve only ever seen 2 people who come close to this kid. I’m not easy to impress, but damn this kid is gifted. I’ve never been so excited to work with someone in my life.

I’m a teacher. I was chosen to have an observer in my class. In California, kids entering a teaching program have to do hours of observation. I’m one of her last ones. Anyway, she comes in and I could just tell there’s something different about this kid. So instead of just observing, I have her start working with kids as they are working and getting the kids ready in line and such. I was stunned at how she did. So we just got this new math stuff which all revolves around reasoning, convincing and justifying your answers as there are really no “correct” answers. First lesson was set up clearly in the book so I’m like here, you’re going to teach this, figure out how you’re going to do it. Our math coach came in thinking I was going to do it. Nope, I said watch this. Together we have 50 years worth of experience, and our jaws are almost on the floor. Here’s this little 20 year old girl who has calluses on her hands from manual labor in the fields and packing houses (horrible home life and beyond dirt poor) just blowing us away. So this week I’ve been having her do some team teaching and such with me. In 24 years of teaching I’ve only ever seen 2 people who come close to this kid. I’m not easy to impress, but damn this kid is gifted. I’ve never been so excited to work with someone in my life.

That's pretty awesome. As I'm getting older, one of the things that still really excites me is mentoring new people, and yeah, when you run into the kid who just gets it, it's pretty exciting.

How can there be a thread about 20-year-old girls with "amazing talent" and no pictures?

It’s true.
And it’s amazing to watch.

Was at an elementary school talent show a few weeks back, and it’s basically a bunch of kids sorta singing, gymnastics that are pretty neat, some dancing....and then....this little girl (7-8 years old??) walks into the stage, nothing to think this won’t be like all the others.

The program says she’s going to sing the old song “Down to the river to pray”.

OMG.

As soon as she opened her mouth, the crowd was frozen. There’s no use trying to explain it.....literally noting but witnessing this in person could do it any justice.

After about 2minutes, song is over.....the standing ovation eruption was awesome, to just be a part of the applause.

It was beyond amazing, and the coolest thing was to expect nothing, then BOOM.

Yep. Everytime I hear my daughter sing. Whether it's the anthem at a local game or with her chorus or just upstairs in the afternoon. She's always been good, but I remember the first time I heard her on stage at a proper theater thinking it was nuts she was that powerful at 8 years old. When we went to the Green Bay game a few years back we ended up at a place in Wisconsin that had a guy singing with an accordion. We walked in with Saints jerseys and he was picking at us because we just beat their team and he decided to sing House of the Rising Sun. He got a fourth of the way through and she walked up and told him to let her sing it.

He started over. 4 minutes later there were 2-300 people standing up. I don't think she'd ever sung it before in public, but at 11 or 12 she made a couple hundred drunks pay attention.

It’s true.
And it’s amazing to watch.

Was at an elementary school talent show a few weeks back, and it’s basically a bunch of kids sorta singing, gymnastics that are pretty neat, some dancing....and then....this little girl (7-8 years old??) walks into the stage, nothing to think this won’t be like all the others.

The program says she’s going to sing the old song “Down to the river to pray”.

OMG.

As soon as she opened her mouth, the crowd was frozen. There’s no use trying to explain it.....literally noting but witnessing this in person could do it any justice.

After about 2minutes, song is over.....the standing ovation eruption was awesome, to just be a part of the applause.

It was beyond amazing, and the coolest thing was to expect nothing, then BOOM.

The feeling you're talking about is awesome and even better when the kid is yours.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom