Ever turned off a Saints game that wasn't going your way? (1 Viewer)

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
Sticky Post
For some reason this thought randomly popped in my head today.....and I thought it would make a good topic.

Offhand, I really don't remember ever just abruptly turning off a Saints game, for the sole reason of the game's outcome not being kosher. For some reason I just can't bring myself to end the misery, I suppose. Or maybe I feel like I can't fully appreciate the good times without occasionally having to wade around in **** .

Though I do remember at the end of 2005, I didn't go out of my way to watch Saint games after Todd Bouman was announced as the starter. One was on Christmas Eve (Detroit)….so there was a family event that I saw no need to schedule the Saints around...... and the other was a week later on New Year's Day (Tampa Bay)…...though I did briefly listen to that one on the radio while on the road. Whether it was right or wrong.....my mentality was simply that if the Saints were checking out early on the season, so could I.

What about any of you? Were there any games where you just had to cut it off and start fresh the next week?

zigzag

All-Pro
Reaction score
I have paused the game down 3 scores many times and went do lawn work . They then started a comeback and won all but the first TB game last season .

shaihulud

East Jefferson High, 1967
Reaction score
For some reason this thought randomly popped in my head today.....and I thought it would make a good topic.

What about any of you? Were there any games where you just had to cut it off and start fresh the next week?
My pain threshold has fallen a great deal over the years. Nowadays, when a Saints' game is televised here, I tape it, check the score online when it ends, and decide if I can bear it. This year has been a good one for watching...heh

black_floyd

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I need to put this link back into my signature...

Good article. That jacket is awesome too. My knee jerk reaction is that it's from somewhere between 1990 and 1993. Am I in the neighborhood?

black_floyd

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
The jacket is still in my possession, and amazingly, it still fits... I'm going to say 1992, so your guess is pretty good.
This just reminded me to hunt down a Bills Starter jacket since they've been my #2 team right behind the Saints since 1989 and through circumstances somewhat similar to yours in that a single player, not the team itself, first drew me to them. I was in my second year of following the NFL and saw Cornelius Bennett block a field goal. In the year and a half that I'd been watching the NFL I'd never seen that so I thought this dude had to be some god-tier player. Impeccable timing too since I got to see them make the SB four straight years and the losses didn't really bother me since it beat the hell out of losing in the wild card each year as was the case with the Saints.

Quiet Storm

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
No. Never. I suffered through them all. Live too. Me and my wife were pretty much the last 2 fans left in the dome a few years back when Cam and the kittens absolurely demolished us.

Traffic really wasnt bad leaving the dome for once.

No, we take the good with the bad. The great with the terrible. And somehow always feel like theres a chance. Just like we never feel comfortable with a 20+ point lead. There probably some mental condition that qualifies us for but oh well. We get our money's worth one way or another.
Are you talking about the 41-10 beat we got a few seasons ago? I've only been to 2 Saints games in New Orleans. That was my second. It was in December. I stayed the whole game and don't think we scored are only TD until the final minutes of the game.

mtq79

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I've totally turned off games before, cursed up a storm at the team and how stupid I am for still being a fan, kicked a chair and then turned the game on and mentally devise how it's still possible for us to come back to win.

BarBar

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I turned off a couple during those 7-9 seasons where the offense was putting up 35 points a game and the defense was giving up 40. It was just too frustrating to watch the O March down the field and score time after time knowing they would be back out on the field in 3 minutes after the D gives up a quick touchdown.

But only a couple of times.

Reaction score
Just thinking out loud, but l wonder how many Patriots fans turned off the TV when they were 28-3 down in the 3rd Quarter ?

travelingsaintsfan

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Back in the 80's when they were real bad I would do most of my yard work after getting mad about the game. I would grab my beer and either mow the grass or rake the leaves to get my mad off. Now I just change channels if the game is that bad. I have only watched two games this year due to traveling and I have not changed channels yet.

dutar76

3rd Year Pro
Reaction score
Are you talking about the 41-10 beat we got a few seasons ago? I've only been to 2 Saints games in New Orleans. That was my second. It was in December. I stayed the whole game and don't think we scored are only TD until the final minutes of the game.
Yes, that's the one. Several of our players got in a fight with cam in the back of the endzone right below me. It was the Highlight of that game.

Saint Lattimore

Restricted Airspace
Reaction score
I stopped watching the Rams game earlier this season in the 2nd half. After the refs jobbed the Saints on the scoop and score for Cam... and then Teddy kept killing the offense... I knew it was over, and it was only making me more PO’ed and depressed.

I took my daughter out back and worked on her pitching.

Optimistic Ozzy

Bleeder of Black and Gold
Reaction score
I've totally turned off games before, cursed up a storm at the team and how stupid I am for still being a fan, kicked a chair and then turned the game on and mentally devise how it's still possible for us to come back to win.
That's awesome. I did the same thing as a kid when I watched during the mid 70's game. I'd think, "well, if we can score now, get an onside's kick, then score again, and get an onside's kick, we can do this". Which would never happen...................................

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
No, but I wanted to.

The most painful loss I've ever watched was the Wild Card game (in the strike-shortened '87 season) where the 13-2 Saints got a beatdown from the 8-7 Vikings.

Thank God for Jerry Romig (Saints announcer) who, near the end of the game, said: "Ladies & gentlemen, let's thank the New Orleans Saints for bringing us to the playoffs!"

Bitter sweet, indeed.

:gosaints:
This was my first ever game in the Dome as a kid. I cried my eyes out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom