Ever turned off a Saints game that wasn't going your way? (1 Viewer)

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
For some reason this thought randomly popped in my head today.....and I thought it would make a good topic.

Offhand, I really don't remember ever just abruptly turning off a Saints game, for the sole reason of the game's outcome not being kosher. For some reason I just can't bring myself to end the misery, I suppose. Or maybe I feel like I can't fully appreciate the good times without occasionally having to wade around in **** .

Though I do remember at the end of 2005, I didn't go out of my way to watch Saint games after Todd Bouman was announced as the starter. One was on Christmas Eve (Detroit)….so there was a family event that I saw no need to schedule the Saints around...... and the other was a week later on New Year's Day (Tampa Bay)…...though I did briefly listen to that one on the radio while on the road. Whether it was right or wrong.....my mentality was simply that if the Saints were checking out early on the season, so could I.

What about any of you? Were there any games where you just had to cut it off and start fresh the next week?

No. Never. I suffered through them all. Live too. Me and my wife were pretty much the last 2 fans left in the dome a few years back when Cam and the kittens absolurely demolished us.

Traffic really wasnt bad leaving the dome for once.

No, we take the good with the bad. The great with the terrible. And somehow always feel like theres a chance. Just like we never feel comfortable with a 20+ point lead. There probably some mental condition that qualifies us for but oh well. We get our money's worth one way or another.

Nah, I leave it on... I may walk into another room for a while... and every now and then I will peak into the room with the game on.... with this look on my face...

maxresdefault.jpg

Nah, I leave it on... I may walk into another room for a while... and every now and then I will peak into the room with the game on.... with this look on my face...

maxresdefault.jpg

This.

Maybe go out in the yard for 10 minutes. I remember that game a few years ago when we came back and won against the Chargers. I had walked out and actually even forgot about the game for a minute. I decided to go back in and it was game on - and a happy evening.

No, we take the good with the bad. The great with the terrible. And somehow always feel like there's a chance. Just like we never feel comfortable with a 20+ point lead. There probably some mental condition that qualifies us for but oh well. We get our money's worth one way or another.

This. I come up with ridiculous scenarios for us to win even when we're down by 20 with 4 minutes to play. I call it being a delusional optimist.

I've never missed a game even when were terrible in some of those 3-13 season. I call that being a glutton for punishment.

Not that I can remember. Psychologically, it makes me feel like I'm abandoning them or "leaving a man behind". As a fan, it just feels wrong to me, somehow.

I have a superstition that if I'm watching the Saints, and they start off slow in a game and go down 14 early or something like that ... I turn off the game and go run errands. Then I check out the score later and see if it's "safe" to turn back on the game. A heckuva lot of the time ... the Saints have mounted a comeback and are either in the lead or are driving to tie/get ahead.

The game that really hammered this home was 2002 Week 3 at the Bears. This was back when the Bears were playing at the University of Illinois while Soldier Field was being renovated. Anyway, the Saints went down 20-0 by mid-second-quarter. My wife wanted to me to go run and get a pizza. Normally, I'd have at least waited until halftime, but I just had the urge to leave right away and forget the game. By the time I left and came back, the Saints were driving to go up 21-20, and did so as I walked back into the apartment :D

Something similar has happened several other times. Of course, I totally forget about all the times this doesn't work.

only if i have my kids for the game or if there is something productive i could be doing at the house. if no kids/no projects and we're getting whooped, i'll play on my phone and keep an eye on it but wont be into it anymore.

I never leave the dome early . At home, 1st I'll try demoting the team to the small TV in the bedroom until they start to get their act together.

Then I'll go back to the big TV if they begin to behave themselves. If it gets worse, after trying that... then I'll turn off all TV's and just listen to the radio broadcast. Sometimes you gotta give them a lil' tough love.

I watch the entire game. I always feel like there’s a chance that something may go our way. I never give up. WHO to the DAT!

I don't recall doing so. I may have zoned out in some and got more easily distracted. Can't think of ever just turning it off and moving on. I did miss a lot of the 2005 season. Football was pretty low on the list that year.

I've certainly turned off pre-season games in the second half. Sometimes it gets to the point that I don't even feel like I'm watching a team. Been a bit more fun lately with Taysom running the third string.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom