Ever turned off a Saints game that wasn't going your way? (1 Viewer)

I was gonna say, Who hasn't? But apparently, it looks like most of you haven't. So maybe I haven't. I know I definitely turn off the sound.

No, I’ve not done it and I don’t have a real reason for it.
Except for my dad threatening my very existence. It was Sept 28, 2003 - Colts in the Dome. Manning was killing us in embarrassing fashion on Sunday Night Football. Third quarter, sitting next to my dad who was equally as P'Oed as me, Dome half empty, I got up and told him “ let’s go”. My dad said, “boy sit your arse down. You never leave or turn off a Saints game.” Then I went through the scolding of how fortunate we are to have an NFL team, etc. Then he told me he’d wipe me from the planet if I ever tried to leave a game or touch a remote control while they were losing. Not sure if he was serious but I’m not willing to take that chance. He has “old man strength”.
Plus, he was right. I had never done it before and honestly I don’t know why that particular game got to me so bad.

Last edited:
I have, a few times, on those occasions when I felt the team wasn't really trying. Be honest, you've seen those games. I felt that if they weren't into the game, there was no need for me to be into it. I don't think I've had that feeling during the Brees era, even when we were down like in the 09 Miami game.

I haven’t in a really long time.
We really haven't HAD to too much in the Payton era.

Which reminds me that I'd forgotten how, when they didn't sell the Dome out and a local business didn't pick up enough remaining tix to sell it out, the local broadcast would be blacked out and we'd drive out of town far enough (I know for sure at least one time we landed in Ocean Springs) to a sports bar that would have it.

And also when they were selling season tickets in blocks of 4 tix for 4 games to try and get them sold. We went in with some family members to do that a couple times. How Katrina changed EVERYTHING!!

I was born in 1978 and have memories of watching the Saints all the way back to 1982. 1999 and 2005 were the only years I ever checked out. In 99, I was in my 2nd year of working part-time in a mall bookstore. I'd told them my 1st year and at the start of the 99 season that I knew they couldn't give me every Sunday off but that I'd appreciate it if they gave me some Sunday off since I was a diehard Saints fan. I was off in 1999 on the Sunday of the Browns game hail mary debacle. After watching that, I told my manager "you know what, go ahead and schedule me on as many Sundays as you want." In 2005, I quit watching after the Saints/Dolphins game where Benson went after Lee Zurik b/c I was sure they'd leave and it hurt too much.

I have, a few times, on those occasions when I felt the team wasn't really trying. Be honest, you've seen those games. I felt that if they weren't into the game, there was no need for me to be into it. I don't think I've had that feeling during the Brees era, even when we were down like in the 09 Miami game.
One game that comes to mind is that 2012 game against the Giants in NY. Special teams didn't show up for that game, at all. The Giants were getting well past midfield on every kickoff/punt return. The annoying thing was that our record-setting awful defense was showing flashes of actual competency during that game, and special teams would ruin it every single drive.

Yeah. Pretty sure I turned that one off and then periodically peaked in in the second half. The team just couldn't get out of their own way that year.

I'd change the channel to watch the Capitals, not watch and go to Thunderbirds games (minor league hockey); if I feel sleepy, I'll go take a nap.

I like watching the game.... but don't get fan-emotional about it anymore. I can always go watch the highlights on youtube.

No, but I wanted to.

The most painful loss I've ever watched was the Wild Card game (in the strike-shortened '87 season) where the 13-2 Saints got a beatdown from the 8-7 Vikings.

Thank God for Jerry Romig (Saints announcer) who, near the end of the game, said: "Ladies & gentlemen, let's thank the New Orleans Saints for bringing us to the playoffs!"

Bitter sweet, indeed.

:gosaints:

I have but it is usually because of a superstitious belief that they usually start playing better when I'm not watching lol. So if I don't like how the game is going I'll turn it off and watch something else and then check in on my phone to see what's going on. Believe it or not it actually works sometimes.

Ever turned off a Saints game that wasn't going your way?

Does slinging a remote control against the wall and having it shatter into a thousand pieces count?
Does chucking a TV out of the window count?
Does ripping a fan from the ceiling and stomping it to death count?

1573161854299.png

In 1979, the Saints still had not managed to put up a winning season . . . ever.
On Monday Night Football, they entered the 3rd quarter, leading the Raiders 35 to 21 and then . . .

"They just don't know how to win." Howard Cosell

1573162185612.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom