Ever turned off a Saints game that wasn't going your way? (1 Viewer)

Are you talking about the 41-10 beat we got a few seasons ago? I've only been to 2 Saints games in New Orleans. That was my second. It was in December. I stayed the whole game and don't think we scored are only TD until the final minutes of the game.
Yes, that's the one. Several of our players got in a fight with cam in the back of the endzone right below me. It was the Highlight of that game.

I stopped watching the Rams game earlier this season in the 2nd half. After the refs jobbed the Saints on the scoop and score for Cam... and then Teddy kept killing the offense... I knew it was over, and it was only making me more PO’ed and depressed.

I took my daughter out back and worked on her pitching.

I've totally turned off games before, cursed up a storm at the team and how stupid I am for still being a fan, kicked a chair and then turned the game on and mentally devise how it's still possible for us to come back to win.
That's awesome. I did the same thing as a kid when I watched during the mid 70's game. I'd think, "well, if we can score now, get an onside's kick, then score again, and get an onside's kick, we can do this". Which would never happen...................................

No, but I wanted to.

The most painful loss I've ever watched was the Wild Card game (in the strike-shortened '87 season) where the 13-2 Saints got a beatdown from the 8-7 Vikings.

Thank God for Jerry Romig (Saints announcer) who, near the end of the game, said: "Ladies & gentlemen, let's thank the New Orleans Saints for bringing us to the playoffs!"

Bitter sweet, indeed.

:gosaints:

This was my first ever game in the Dome as a kid. I cried my eyes out.

We were losing a night game a few years ago, and the score was out of reach with the amount of time left. I went to bed. And I remember the 27-0 shellacking we got from San Francisco in the last game of a season about 15 years ago. We weren't making the playoffs and we had no heart in that game. I turned it off after the first drive of the third quarter.

So, twice in 30+ years of fandom?

I don't believe that I've ever stopped watching the Saints because they were losing. But during the bountygate season, when the Saints were getting destroyed by RGIII and the Redskins, I turned off that game and didn't watch the rest of the season. But it wasn't because of the Saints...it was a combination of bountygate and incompetent refs.

I've now sat out nearly two complete seasons, and I've learned that I'm definitely capable of doing it. I find something else with my time on Sundays, such as spending more time with my family and getting out doors. The NFL needs more than I need it. I have a very low threshold to not watch going forward. With the rate that the league is moving, I'd be very surprised if I'm still watching 10 years from now.

No, but I wanted to.

The most painful loss I've ever watched was the Wild Card game (in the strike-shortened '87 season) where the 13-2 Saints got a beatdown from the 8-7 Vikings.

Thank God for Jerry Romig (Saints announcer) who, near the end of the game, said: "Ladies & gentlemen, let's thank the New Orleans Saints for bringing us to the playoffs!"

Bitter sweet, indeed.

:gosaints:

Yeah that was the first game I ever went to. If I remember correctly my favor player at the time, Rueben Mayes, had a big return to start the game and then blew out his knee. He never was the same after that.

Have never turned a game off in my life, other than maybe the final quarter of a fourth preseason game, and even then, I am going back and forth flipping channels.

If the Saints are getting blown out for a real game though, I am parked on my couch sulking and enduring the pain just as the team is.

I should also add that I own season tickets, and will leave in the fourth quarter if the team is getting blown out (also, if the opposite is true and we have a game well in-hand). But, even then, I am listening to the rest of the game in my vehicle when I get to it after the short walk, whether we are winning or losing.

Though I personally haven't left the stadium early, I do remember as a kid my Dad took me to see a late-November Monday Night football game in old Tulane Stadium where we were getting hammered by the Pittsburgh Steelers. It was a very chilly night and the windy conditions were making it feel much colder.

When the Steelers were up by 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter, my Dad figured that it was time to call it a night and head back to the car. I remember wondering why we were leaving with most of the final quarter left to play. But my Dad was right. There were no more points scored in the game and we lost that game 28-7.

But I will add that I have left a game early when watching on TV at home. But it wasn't because things weren't going right... but rather it was because we were blasting the opponent so bad, and I didn't want to miss my tee time. I just listened to the finale on the radio on the way to the golf course! :grin:

Yes, it goes for all of my teams. It's not like I am abandoning them I just would rather not suffer through a dismal performance by my team, If I wanted to watch a car accident I'd watch it. I just don't want to watch the car accident if it's my car.

I check in though on the ESPN app.

Nah, I leave it on... I may walk into another room for a while... and every now and then I will peak into the room with the game on.... with this look on my face...

maxresdefault.jpg
Ditto

Yes, it goes for all of my teams. It's not like I am abandoning them I just would rather not suffer through a dismal performance by my team, If I wanted to watch a car accident I'd watch it. I just don't want to watch the car accident if it's my car.

I check in though on the ESPN app.
Hard to argue with that sentiment.

I remember not being able to watch every Saints game as a kid (Late 80's, early 90's) due to blackouts. Every since Drew has been here, haven't missed a full game; however, 2005 is probably the only year where I only watched parts of the last few games.

I was gonna say, Who hasn't? But apparently, it looks like most of you haven't. So maybe I haven't. I know I definitely turn off the sound.

I admit that I have. If it's not a good use of my time, I'll find something else to do. There were many games I purposefully didn't watch when Ditka was the coach, and this was after paying for the Sunday Ticket. Back then, by week 8, the season was pretty much over. *shudders*

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom