Everyone keeps saying QB (1 Viewer)

He also had a supermodel wife that allowed him to take team friendly contracts so they could keep a competitive roster around him.

So actually that myth has been busted. Brady's restructures were never paycuts. He's actually averaged more per year than Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. The reason the Patriots cap situation never turned into the Saints cap situation was Belichick was smart enough to only push brady's cap hit around and not also fifteen other players. He'd release guys when they were due a big payday, Belichick constantly "broke up the band" compared to the Saints "keep the band together at all costs."

brady: $14.5m/yr career.
Manning: $13.8m/yr career.
Brees: $13.5m/yr career.

Those guys could be out there...problem is that you can grab one and never find out if he is one because our system stinks
Exactly. We're not going to find one of these 4th-7th round QB's because we don't really have a system. At least one that puts the QB in a position to succeed.

Depending on what we get for Payton, I'd strongly consider Robinson or Gibbs. Shoot our shot in the 2nd or 3rd for a QB.

So actually that myth has been busted. Brady's restructures were never paycuts. He's actually averaged more per year than Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. The reason the Patriots cap situation never turned into the Saints cap situation was Belichick was smart enough to only push brady's cap hit around and not also fifteen other players. He'd release guys when they were due a big payday, Belichick constantly "broke up the band" compared to the Saints "keep the band together at all costs."

Yep, and we should have let Brees walk or retire after 2019, if not before. I know what he meant to the franchise, but business is business is business.

I don’t think it’s fair to look at career earnings, especially with Brady being a late draft pick. I’m more interested in how they were paid in later years after separating themselves from the rest.

In the past ten years, Brady has won four Super Bowls. His cap hit has only been in the top ten among QB’s in two of those years, 2013 (5th) and 2020 (6th). Guys with zero postseason success were outranking him in almost all of those years.

That gave his teams a lot of flexibility to build a team around him.

I listened to the Underhill/Triplett podcast last night. They made some really valid points. Like DA keeping PC on knowing that his job is on the line next year. They believe that PC will throw out much of the playbook and install something new (duh).
It's on the NOF podcast.
That's funny. Like when did they realize changes needed to be made?

I’m less sold on drafting a QB high. If there is a good running back or WR I’d go with them first. I’m not overly hyped on any of the first round QBs this year. With QB it’s essential to find one that works with what the OC wants to do, and the OC builds around their strengths. This is exactly why Brady has been successful, Brees and Purdy same way. Their coaches figured out what they do well and designed around it. It’s always concerning with picking a QB if it’s not someone with the right fit. A strong running game, a good TE, and someone to replace Thomas will mean far more then chasing a QB just to have a QB.

San Fran is where they are at because of the whole team, and the fact their coach can get the absolute best out of any QB he works with. That team could have Trent Dilfer at QB and be winning. At this point, I’d rather see Dalton for another year than spending 30 plus million on Carr or someone else. Take our lumps, build the team.

We should have been drafting QB's relatively high since about 2019... If you look at all the good teams right now with staying power... they all have one thing in common... They all took a chance on drafting young QBs relatively high... Drafting DE, DT, OL, CB, WR, etc. high won't turn your franchise around quickly (unless you already have a franchise QB).... Only a young super talent at QB can do that in short order. We waited too long already, and we shouldn't wait any longer. If we think any QB in this draft is "That Guy"... we should have a plan to sell out and go get him.

I don’t think it’s fair to look at career earnings, especially with Brady being a late draft pick. I’m more interested in how they were paid in later years after separating themselves from the rest.

In the past ten years, Brady has won four Super Bowls. His cap hit has only been in the top ten among QB’s in two of those years, 2013 (5th) and 2020 (6th). Guys with zero postseason success were outranking him in almost all of those years.

That gave his teams a lot of flexibility to build a team around him.

That's the thing though, they kept Brady extremely well paid, but they were constantly pushing Brady's cap hit around. They were able to do this because they were only dealing with moving Brady's number, not also bunch of other players. Belichick was releasing, trading, or not re-signing other players due paydays. He'd occasionally pay a couple of guys, but there was always a clear limit. It was a masterclass in balancing the cap.

I listened to the Underhill/Triplett podcast last night. They made some really valid points. Like DA keeping PC on knowing that his job is on the line next year. They believe that PC will throw out much of the playbook and install something new (duh).
It's on the NOF podcast.
So they are going to run a new offense next season that's new to even the OC and we are supposed to have better success on that side of the ball? Whomever they bring in to be the TE Coach and Run Game Coordinator he essentially has to be so impactful on the offensive side of the ball that it makes PC look like he made offseason adjustments.

Last edited:
That's the thing though, they kept Brady extremely well paid, but they were constantly pushing Brady's cap hit around. They were able to do this because they were only dealing with moving Brady's number, not also bunch of other players. Belichick was releasing, trading, or not re-signing other players due paydays. He'd occasionally pay a couple of guys, but there was always a clear limit. It was a masterclass in balancing the cap.
He definitely made less. Here are the last ten years cash earnings of some notable Super Bowl winning QB’s compared to Brady’s over the same time period:

Rodgers $256.2m
Brady $196.1m

Brees $209.3m
Brady $158.6m

Peyton Manning $165.7m
Brady $127.5m

Eli Manning $170.4m
Brady $157.3m

Roethlisberger $197.3m
Brady $193.1m

Wilson $237.3m
Brady $196.1m

For the QB with the most postseason success in the history of the game, the only person on par with him for cash earnings over their last ten year stretch was Big Ben, everyone else earned significantly more.

He definitely made less. Here are the last ten years cash earnings of some notable Super Bowl winning QB’s compared to Brady’s over the same time period:

Rodgers $256.2m
Brady $196.1m

Brees $209.3m
Brady $158.6m

Peyton Manning $165.7m
Brady $127.5m

Eli Manning $170.4m
Brady $157.3m

Roethlisberger $197.3m
Brady $193.1m

Wilson $237.3m
Brady $196.1m

For the QB with the most postseason success in the history of the game, the only person on par with him for cash earnings over their last ten year stretch was Big Ben, everyone else earned significantly more.

I'm curious to where you are getting your numbers because the earnings shown on Spotrac don't reflect those numbers.

So they are going to run a new offense next season that's new to even the OC and we are supposed to have better success on that side of the ball? Whomever they bring in to be the TE Coach and Run Game Coordinator he essentially has to be impactful on the offensive side of the ball and be the defacto offensive coordinator.

I don't think that it will be much of a change. But, it's pretty clear what they didn't do well last season. I can see them doing better in some areas even with PC calling plays. If they were going to go with a major change from what they were doing they wouldn't have gone with Pete as OC. A middle of the pack offense and a good defense wins the division next season. If they have a good offseason, that's doable.

From Over the Cap.

Hmmm OTC has some interesting numbers, and we could probably spar all day about it, but I'll say I think we both have valid points. There are times where brady was paid less, but on the whole he averaged more than Brees and Manning. All three got paid and are probably not regretting how they got their money... and they didn't Dak Prescott their teams.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom