Eviction / COVID Question / Help (1 Viewer)

“Extra” lmao.
It plays well to the Facebook crowd as you can imagine.

I drove by last night after the Saints pick and there was more stuff at the street and lights were on inside, as if they were working in the house. I think there is full intention of being gone by midnight tonight. Now we'll see if it actually happen. We sent notice to them today as recommended by our lawyer.

Last edited:
In the context of this thread, squatters are given control over property owned by others because they have a "right to shelter".

Maybe I should first get clarification of what you mean by shelter being a basic human right. Do you mean that people have a right to seek shelter, or that shelter shall be provided to people? (positive vs negative rights)
Healthcare should be a basic right - that doesn’t mean I have a right to your diabetes medicine

I am saying there should not be homelessness- from my POV bc it’s the human thing to do to provide basic shelter to other humans
From a political/financial POV, bc providing shelter is ultimately cheaper than trying to fix the problems homelessness and rent gouging once they’re out of control

It plays well to the Facebook crowd as you can imagine.

I drove by last night after the Saints pick and there was more stuff at the street and lights were on light, as if they were working in the house. I think there is full intention of being gone by midnight tonight. Now we'll see if it actually happen. We sent notice to them today as recommended by our lawyer, so we'll see.

They're finishing ripping out the copper in the walls. ;)

They're finishing ripping out the copper in the walls. ;)
Oh you better believe I thought of that. We had a photographer go over a few weeks ago with a police officer and document as much as we could.

Oh you better believe I thought of that. We had a photographer go over a few weeks ago with a police officer and document as much as we could.

Prayers for ya. I rented to family for a few years. It was absolutely horrible. We had to remodel basically the entire house to sell it. Luckily, it was a smaller shotgun house. They paid me (barely) and I was charging them my mortgage on it. I went one day and found the floor to have a hole in the bathroom from a water leak they decided to never tell me about. Never again...

You're describing positive rights or entitlements, which requires action and resources from others.

So if shelter is a to be considered a 'basic right', then you're saying that shelter must be provided at someone else's expense - and that it's unlawful to not provide such a service [to someone seeking it].
In this case, if someone is squatting on your property and receiving shelter and evicting them means they will have no shelter, it is then unlawful to evict them. Which is exactly what we're seeing in California.

So this takes me back to my original question - how does a 'basic right' to shelter reconcile with property rights?
You’re doing a bunch of rhetorical gymnastics to land on an argument I’m nowhere close to making
I am not arguing that an individual property owner has a legal obligation to provide shelter to any individual who asks for it
That’s just silly
BUT if housing doesn’t improve, no one should be surprised when people squat in abandoned properties
AND the govt should step in now to maybe develop programs to buy up abandoned bldgs (esp commercial ones) at fair market (not inflated market) value and provide housing
Again, from my POV that’s the human thing to do - from the govt POV it staves off or at least delays the revolution

It can’t just be that simple. They told us last night they aren’t able to be out yet. So come Monday we will move forward and they will get a summons.

We know they are leaving. They are packing, have a uhaul there (for days), and posted on Facebook (that others sent us) that they found a place. But fool me once, shame on me...it’s not happening again, and maybe I’m a bad person for still going thru with the summons and judgement for eviction, but I am.

It can’t just be that simple. They told us last night they aren’t able to be out yet. So come Monday we will move forward and they will get a summons.

We know they are leaving. They are packing, have a uhaul there (for days), and posted on Facebook (that others sent us) that they found a place. But fool me once, shame on me...it’s not happening again, and maybe I’m a bad person for still going thru with the summons and judgement for eviction, but I am.
Nah, you’re like Job over here
You have gone above and beyond

You've done all you can. I wouldn't sweat it tbh. Just do what you gotta do and let the chips fall where they may.

You’re right, but maybe wait til Tuesday.

I would wait until Tuesday if the poor future tenant wasn’t sleeping on a hardwood floor with a sleeping bag. They’re really the ones who have been screwed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom