Ex-Astros P Mike Fiers says Astros used center-field camera to steal signs (Update: MLB issues punishment) MERGED (11 Viewers)

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
No major sport clutches pearls over rules violations like baseball.

SweetT

Old alias known as FLASH
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We can only speculate what was said behind the scenes, but most owners would have fired Payton and Loomis in 2012.
If I’m not mistaken, Vilma had gone on record saying that we had a “pay for performance”, not “pay to injure” like Goodell said we did. We had incentives for turnovers, game changing plays, etc.

MikeyF

True Dat
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If the MLB commish had any gonads the Astros would be forfeiting their 2017 Championship...
They cheated to win and it should revert to the Dodgers! This is the only way to really make them pay for cheating.

It is being whitewashed by the MLB...

SaintsFanInLA

BREES SMASH!!
Reaction score
In my opinion, you ABSOLUTELY strip them of their championships. They had an unfair advantage. This would be the same as catching a track start who won the gold medal with steroid usage while all of the other athletes were clean. Or catching a boxer who won a belt with loaded gloves. You cannot allow them to benefit from this.

Last edited:

BMOSaint4evR

Fan since '73
Reaction score
If the MLB commish had any gonads the Astros would be forfeiting their 2017 Championship...
They cheated to win and it should revert to the Dodgers! This is the only way to really make them pay for cheating.

It is being whitewashed by the MLB...
As an Angels fan in the western division, I've been following this from day one. And as penalties go, they should actually have to give up the division title.
An orchestrated 'scheme' against the rule should never be allowed, and altho it wouldn't change the outcome for the Angels position for the west, a new division title holder should be named.
You can't go thru life in general cheating the system and playing by the rules, whether you like them or not, should be your mantra trying to get ahead. I'm glad heads are rolling in the great state of Texas over this, even if I wasn't a fan of an opposing team.

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I absolutely hated Rose while he was a player, but without a doubt he should be in the Hall of Fame. Please spare me the pearl-clutching about betting on baseball. Nobody ever played harder to win a game, and he's done his time. At this point I think it's about posturing and spite. There's no question that Rose was a deeply flawed guy, but I'd rather have him in there than some avowed racist and world-class nasty ******* like Ty Cobb, .

Put Rose in the Hall now, before he dies.

syracuse saint

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Red Sox have actually been caught twice in 2 years now. For some reason, the league didn't make a big deal about the first time they got caught, so it will be interesting to see what they do to them, if anything, this time. If i remember correctly, they had I-pads in center field that transmitted the signs to an i-pad in their dugout. I am not sure how this is any less corrupt than what the Astros did. Maybe the league expects this kind of behavior from teams from Boston? Seeing a trend here.

BuddyDeesGhost

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
It all seems bizarre to me and I don't see how the evidence here was any clearer than the bountygate "evidence".

You have one disgruntled released player, Mike Fiers, who absolutely couldn't hit the broadside of a barn in 2017 making the primary accusation. Then some weird accusation that involves a garbage can, a bat and a video camera (which sounds like the makings of a scooby doo trap).

No I don't buy it. I've been an astros fan since the 70s. I've followed this team. To know more I think I'd need the 50 thousand page report.

My first take is that Jim Crane is a cheapskate who rode the Stros to massive profits under Hinch and Ludnow and now wants to take his chips off the table. This is just an excuse for him to fold the team. It's a shame too because that 2017 WS team was dam good players.

And yes, great and crappy teams have "stolen signs" since the dawn of baseball, just like all football teams have informal incentives. Thier biggest mistake was beating MLB's beloved Yanqueens twice in a championship series.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 6)

Headlines

Top Bottom