Ex-Astros P Mike Fiers says Astros used center-field camera to steal signs (Update: MLB issues punishment) MERGED (2 Viewers)

I absolutely hated Rose while he was a player, but without a doubt he should be in the Hall of Fame. Please spare me the pearl-clutching about betting on baseball. Nobody ever played harder to win a game, and he's done his time. At this point I think it's about posturing and spite. There's no question that Rose was a deeply flawed guy, but I'd rather have him in there than some avowed racist and world-class nasty ******* like Ty Cobb, .

Put Rose in the Hall now, before he dies.

The Red Sox have actually been caught twice in 2 years now. For some reason, the league didn't make a big deal about the first time they got caught, so it will be interesting to see what they do to them, if anything, this time. If i remember correctly, they had I-pads in center field that transmitted the signs to an i-pad in their dugout. I am not sure how this is any less corrupt than what the Astros did. Maybe the league expects this kind of behavior from teams from Boston? Seeing a trend here.

It all seems bizarre to me and I don't see how the evidence here was any clearer than the bountygate "evidence".

You have one disgruntled released player, Mike Fiers, who absolutely couldn't hit the broadside of a barn in 2017 making the primary accusation. Then some weird accusation that involves a garbage can, a bat and a video camera (which sounds like the makings of a scooby doo trap).

No I don't buy it. I've been an astros fan since the 70s. I've followed this team. To know more I think I'd need the 50 thousand page report.

My first take is that Jim Crane is a cheapskate who rode the Stros to massive profits under Hinch and Ludnow and now wants to take his chips off the table. This is just an excuse for him to fold the team. It's a shame too because that 2017 WS team was dam good players.

And yes, great and crappy teams have "stolen signs" since the dawn of baseball, just like all football teams have informal incentives. Thier biggest mistake was beating MLB's beloved Yanqueens twice in a championship series.

It all seems bizarre to me and I don't see how the evidence here was any clearer than the bountygate "evidence".

You have one disgruntled released player, Mike Fiers, who absolutely couldn't hit the broadside of a barn in 2017 making the primary accusation. Then some weird accusation that involves a garbage can, a bat and a video camera (which sounds like the makings of a scooby doo trap).

No I don't buy it. I've been an astros fan since the 70s. I've followed this team. To know more I think I'd need the 50 thousand page report.

My first take is that Jim Crane is a cheapskate who rode the Stros to massive profits under Hinch and Ludnow and now wants to take his chips off the table. This is just an excuse for him to fold the team. It's a shame too because that 2017 WS team was dam good players.

And yes, great and crappy teams have "stolen signs" since the dawn of baseball, just like all football teams have informal incentives. Thier biggest mistake was beating MLB's beloved Yanqueens twice in a championship series.
First thing I thought when I heard this was that Crane will trade off assets to recoup draft picks and he will say he's going to build another champion the way he built the first one, while saving money along the way.

Astros and Expos playing for championships doing things the same way that made them cellar dwellers for 35 years

Switching league and changing name and now you great

Dodgers, Yankees, braves traded every asset they had and built through farm system twice in same span

Unpopular opnion: MLB should just put an earbud and mic in the pitcher and catcher. And maybe the manager during certain times. Screw this whole "stealing signs is OK as long as you do it in a certain way". And you wouldn't need mound visits, providing the speedup the MLB has been looking for

Interesting take from Florio on the gambling angle. Aside from cheating I’d think that incompetent and/or suspicious officiating should also scare all pro leagues, the NFL being the worst currently.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom