Excited about our pick at 24? (1 Viewer)

I’ll be more surprised if the Saints actually pick in the 24th slot than if they trade up for “their guy”.

I fully expect them to have a guy in their crosshairs and make a move up to secure that player... even it’s only a few slots to get ahead of the Pats and take the LB or CB they love.
My gut tells me the Saints really like Zack Baun
I'm high on Baun as well.
I think we could even trade back and still get him. Although, I do believe depth at CB may be too big of a need. I even expect a trade up is Henderson falls past 15

Are the Saints really that much better than the rest of the NFL?
We picked Latt over White and the Ram pick would have the LB who's not in the NFL anymore. And if Davenport's NFL career are as injury prone as his first two seasons, we will have waisted 2 first Rd pick on him.

Players do and do not work out for whatever reason. I didn’t necessarily mean the Saints hit on every pick. I just mean the Saints are better at selecting players at the values they’re held in. That’s what I would consider “better” drafting. They don’t stay at their draft selection and reach on players just because that’s what’s conventional. They’ve jumped up for their top pick in both the last two drafts and taken players that were highly coveted at slots beyond where they were expected to go. As opposed to a team like the Falcons or Texans that reached hard on offensive linemen out of desperation.

And if we are able to strength our depth, I would not be surprised if we draft a player from a position in which we currently have depth. There very attractive options at running back there. I won't be surprised if we look towards Wisconsin.
This is an interesting idea! Also like Zack Baun from UW, a great OLB.

Picks at #24:
2019- Josh Jacobs
2018- DJ Moore, Calvin Ridley went 26th
2017- Gareon Conley, Ramczyk went 32nd
2016- William Jackson, CB
2015- DJ Humphries, OL
2014- Darqueze Dennard, CB
2013- Bjorn Werner, DE, bust; DeAndre Hopkins went 27th
Other notable 24th picks: Cam Jordan, David DeCastro, Dez Bryant, Jonathan Joseph, Aaron Rodgers, Steven Jackson, Dallas Clark, Ed Reed, Eric Moulds and Craig Heyward.

We have a shot of getting a very good player/starter for years to come at 24. Who Dat!!!
Based on this list, I expect nothing less than a future HOFer at the 24th pick! :ezbill:

Another possibility is Jordan Love. Does Payton like him?

Can’t recall his name, but he’s THE QB guru speaking on skills/deficiencies on draftees....

Usually I roll my eyes at gurus, but this guy made so many intelligent points that were just deeper than any others I’ve heard.

Wish I could recall his name.

But on Love, said he checks all the initial boxes.....but when you really study him, he’s not accurate when the window is small.....also said he isn’t as instinctual as others.

Now I don’t know if he’ll be right or wrong, but it stuck with me. Vote no on Love.

There will be a lot of talent on the board this year at #24. Maybe even more than usual. I'm expecting these players to be taken before #24.

3 QBs
3 WRs
4 O Linemen
6 D Linemen (This number includes Edge players)

That's 16 players off the board mostly at positions that aren't a huge need. I have a cloud of players I'm expecting to be available that I'd be happy with. There's going to be value at 24 if they stay put but I think it's more likely they trade up to the early teens to get the guy they want.

My concern is that no top player drops that far, that our top 15 players or so are off the board, and that our grades for the players still available are similar to those for several players who will be picked 10 or 15 slots later.

Most of us know that Tom Brady (and even Aaron Rodgers) dropped far lower than they should have. But you don't have to go back that far:

Erik McCoy (who we now know was a legit 1st round talent) was taken at #48.

Lagniappe to this discussion is throwing in Deonte' Harris as an UDFA.

Never say "no way" there's great talent at #24.

:gosaints:

I’m so thankful we are perennial winners now but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss those high picks. I know we can’t have it both ways ho.

I am not excited and only hopeful that we hit later on, and very much wish we had more picks.

I honestly feel that we have better luck outside of the first most times. I’m not impressed with many of our first rounders as am impressed with how we seem to get great value later on.
And this draft is deep where we need it to be imo. Wish we’d trade back out of the first.

I see what you did there...

At "24"...

Haha... I'm excited to see what team that picks 24 gets in consolation of trading down..

We are gonna trade up for a QB.
What's your QB board looking like?

I know with how we shifted salary. We are gonna have to get a rookie QB to keep the salary boat afloat.

Mine is

1A. Tua
1B, Burrow

Frankly, the next batch of prospects are really not close to the 1st tier, A lot of these issues with the 2nd/3rd tier of QB is simply underdeveloped mechanics, bad programs, or plateaued/under performed in college

1. Hebert

Now gaps even widen to a fringe development starter/ backup tier

1. Jake Fromm(Low floor/High Ceiling)
2. Jacob Eason (Back-up/ Slow boomer Starter)
3. Jalen Hurts (Overrated/ Be best as a multi-purpose weapons like Taysom while keep developing him to be a QB/ fantastic leader/ Questionable ceiling)
4. Jordan Love (Overrated/ Career Back-Up)

These rest for me... are gambles.

Last edited:
What's your QB board looking like?

I know with how we shifted salary. We are gonna have to get a rookie QB to keep the salary boat afloat.

Mine is

1A. Tua
1B, Burrow

Frankly, the next batch of prospects are really not close to the 1st tier, A l lot of these issues with the 2nd/3rd teir of QB is simply underdeveloped mechanics or simply plateaued in college

1. Hebert

Now gaps even widen to a fringe starter/ backup tier

1. Jake Fromm(Low floor/High Ceiling)
2. Jacob Eason (Back-up/ Slow boomer Starter)
3. Jalen Hurts (Overrated/ Be best as a multi-purpose weapons like Taysom while keep developing him to be a QB/ fantastic leader/ Questionable ceiling)
4. Jordan Love (Overrated/ Career Back-Up)

These rest for me... are gambles.

Oooh, don't cross the state line with that 1A/1B stuff ;)

Speaking about others in those respective fan bases, of course.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom