Excuses for Aaron Rodgers (1 Viewer)

BlackandGoldXLIV

Lurkules (since 2001)
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So I was reading an article about Rodgers and the Packers. Basically, it's about the Packers limiting Rodgers reps in preseason, because of the season ending injury to WR J.Nelson last year. But this part of the article stuck in my craw:

Rodgers is convinced that losing Nelson for the year threw off the Packers’ entire offense last season, when the unit plummeted to No. 23 in the 32-team league in yards and No. 15 in scoring. In the wake of Nelson’s injury, Rodgers emphasized several times in his postgame news conference that day that his Pro Bowl wide receiver had been lost “in a meaningless game.”

Aaron Rodgers links Green Bay Packers' caution to Jordy Nelson's ACL - Green Bay Packers Blog- ESPN

So you mean to tell me that an injury to a Pro Bowl WR, in the preseason, and the Packers offense couldn't recover the whole year?

Brees has never had a Pro Bowl WR. And with the O-line playing as bad as they did, the Saints offense was ranked 2nd in the NFL and 8th in scoring.

But Rodgers is the QB the media gushes over. The one who has it all. The arm strength, accuracy, mobility and intangibles. I hear them all the time saying if they were building a team, Rodgers is the guy you want. Ranked 6th in the NFL Networks top 100 players, while Brees was 30th.

If he is so good, wouldn't the Packers offense done better than 23rd? Couldn't he of willed his team to play better since he 'has it all'?

But yet the media gives a back handed compliment to Brees, because he didn't throw for 5,000 yards last year. Never mentioning that he missed a game.

Respek!!!!

I think part of it is that the Saints ended 7-9 the past two seasons. If they get to somewhere near 11-5, it'll change.

I was shocked at how ineffective Rodgers was last season. We've seen Brady and Brees do it with no name WR's. Hell, we saw Cam Newton do it with no name WR's last season. For Rodgers to have the year that he did without Nelson is still surprising to me. I expected them to struggle since they had o-line issues as well, but not as much as they did. I fully expect him to bounce back this season.

The media just wants to be right. They think that he's the best, so they will make excuses. That's why they don't give as much props to Brees. They're still mad he's able to do what he does with his stature.

It probably helps to have a Pro Bowl wide receiver when you constantly have to throw before you want to, but I thing the bulk of Green Bay's offensive problems start up front.

Kinda silly thread. Pack had O line issues also. He is a excellent football player and the most efficient QB in the league. His accomplishments shouldn't be mocked

It was more than just Jordy. Randall Cobb played 12 games with a jacked up shoulder, Eddie Lacy gained 100 pounds, & Devonte Adams couldn't catch a cold. Seriously, Richard Rodgers was his go to at times and he's not even starter caliber. I don't like Rodgers, but the guys around him did him no favors. Imagine if our WR corps and Ingram had similar occurrences. It'd be tough.

Kinda silly thread. Pack had O line issues also. He is a excellent football player and the most efficient QB in the league. His accomplishments shouldn't be mocked

He's the most efficient QB in the league because he is more concerned with his stats than winning.

I've always thought Aaron Rodgers, while good, is HIGHLY overrated.

And everyone just takes it as fact that he's one of the best 2-3 in the game.

He's not. The Pack struggle to score way too often.

Great point about Brees' lack of weapons, it doesn't matter, Drew just keeps cranking insane offensive stats.

Today, right now, here is the list of QB's I'd take over Rodgers.

Brady
Brees
Rothlisberger
Wilson
Newton

And I'd have a hard time choosing Rodgers over Alex Smith (consistently wins without any help and never plays outside of himself), and the new breed.......Carr, Bortles, Winston, Luck...even Rivers is such a tough QB who has zero help with OL and D.

Rodgers is good, but I've named 5 that are clearly better (in my opinion), and 6 that are even at least (again, my opinion).

But I agree, this default Rodgers is the unquestioned best/top 2 is ridiculous.

Rogers played excellent last year. Jordy Nelson out was huge but he still produced and willed that team a few plays away from the NFC championship game. Secondary options had to be primary options and just young WR core all the way around that wasn't ready to play in there new role. Had Oline issues espicially on the right side and running game was stagnant. Any miscues was when the WR didn't adjust correctly didn't know the audible he was on point like always. Best player in the league in my opinion. Brees getting a little under appreciated cause we haven't been winning. Pack still wins even with adversity

Rogers played excellent last year. Jordy Nelson out was huge but he still produced and willed that team a few plays away from the NFC championship game. Secondary options had to be primary options and just young WR core all the way around that wasn't ready to play in there new role. Had Oline issues espicially on the right side and running game was stagnant. Any miscues was when the WR didn't adjust correctly didn't know the audible he was on point like always. Best player in the league in my opinion. Brees getting a little under appreciated cause we haven't been winning. Pack still wins even with adversity

So their defense being a middle of the pack defense and ours being one of the worst in NFL history had nothing to do with them winning more games?

When is the last time Rogers took someone like a Ben Watson and gave them a career year?

Rogers is an elite QB, don't get me wrong, but the excuses you're making for him don't add up.

He had a young WR group?

Brees had Cooks, an undrafted free agent (snead), a 5th string wr in coleman and a way past his prime Colston.

He was out an entire game and still got 1,000 more yards than Rogers.

You guys are acting like Rodgers year was terrible last year. He completed 61% of his passes for 3,800 yards, 31 TDs and only 8 INTs. Sure, his yards and completion percentage were down, but his leading receiver was a guy on the street during preseason.

I would say the biggest problem was his line. He was sacked 47 times last year. To put thst into perspective, Drew was sacked 31 times despite throwing nearly 100 more passes. To top it off, 2 of his top 3 receivers were tied for 12th in the league in drops (Adams only caught 50% of the balls thrown his way.

And give me a break with the Drew hasn't had any weapons talk. Marques Colston, Jimmy Graham, Brandin Cooks, Jeremy Shockey, the slew of quality pass catching backs (Sproles, Thomas, Reggie), the deep threat guys (Henderson and Meach), and the quality slot guys (Moore and Snead). Brees hasn't had any pro bowl receivers, although Colston should have went at least once, but he had one of the top receiving threats in football in Jimmy Graham along with some of the best pass catching backs in football.

While Rodgers is a very good QB, IMO he's still massively overrated.

He's a great front-runner, but when his team falls behind you very rarely see him lead them back or lay it all on the line like other top QB's would.

You guys are acting like Rodgers year was terrible last year. He completed 61% of his passes for 3,800 yards, 31 TDs and only 8 INTs. Sure, his yards and completion percentage were down, but his leading receiver was a guy on the street during preseason.

I would say the biggest problem was his line. He was sacked 47 times last year. To put thst into perspective, Drew was sacked 31 times despite throwing nearly 100 more passes. To top it off, 2 of his top 3 receivers were tied for 12th in the league in drops (Adams only caught 50% of the balls thrown his way.

And give me a break with the Drew hasn't had any weapons talk. Marques Colston, Jimmy Graham, Brandin Cooks, Jeremy Shockey, the slew of quality pass catching backs (Sproles, Thomas, Reggie), the deep threat guys (Henderson and Meach), and the quality slot guys (Moore and Snead). Brees hasn't had any pro bowl receivers, although Colston should have went at least once, but he had one of the top receiving threats in football in Jimmy Graham along with some of the best pass catching backs in football.

And has had the worst defense in the NFL 3 of the last 4 years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom