Exercise Machines (1 Viewer)

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
Reaction score
I need to get in better shape. Does anybody have any recommendations for an exercise machine? I'm looking at ellipticals and tread mills mostly. Just curious what positive or negative experiences anybody has had with any type/brand of machine. Thanks in advance.

Here's a good treadmill...

road.JPG

I recommend a Precor elliptical trainer. They are not cheap but come with a 10 year warranty, consistently get rated #1 by Consumer Reports and have no negative impact on your knees, joints, etc. Stick one in front of the television and its not too terribly hard to get motivated. I ran a number of marathons in the past but the pavement took its toll on my knees and back. With the elliptical, my knees and back don't take a beating.

I prefer treadmills. So many variables to change your workout. One thing you must consider with a treadmill is if you have/had any lower extremity injuries, i.e. bad knees from old injuries, arthritic problems, etc. If this is the case, I'd consider a stationary bike or recumbent bike. As far as the elliptical, I don't like them. My feet go to sleep after about 15 minutes. To get a good idea what you may like, find a local gym for a free week tryout membership. Also, make sure to see your primary care physician before beginning a new workout routine, especially if it's been a while or if you are obese.

Buy an old dilapidated house and restore it yourself .
That will do the trick .
Then you can rent it out for income , but I digress .

atceagle has good advice. try a gym for the free pass thing.
I can't use treadmills for more than 10 -15 minutes without being unable to hardly walk the next day, due to back problem.. Ellipticals they have in the gym, i can go a good hour on, no probs. Avoid cheap ellipticals, as their motion isn't all that fluid.. Go to one with a magnetic resistance electronically controlled rather than strap or spring tension.. Seems much smoother and not impact.
you should go with treadmill if your body can handle the impact, as it builds what your bones can take.. Having no impact leads to bones getting weak.. according to some studies have seen.

Buy an old dilapidated house and restore it yourself .
That will do the trick .
Then you can rent it out for income , but I digress .

lol, yes that helps with finding muscles you didn't realize you had....
not much for cardio help though.

i have a Nordic trac elliptical that i use almost daily...
get a good elliptical and spend 30 minutes a day on it and you will see a difference very quickly...

It all depends on the budget - exercise equipment, if used regularly and properly, can take a beating. So you want something durable, which means money.

I've owned cheaper, flimsier ellipticals, upright bikes, semi-recumbent bikes and a decent treadmill. The treadmill is the only one that is still in working condition.

So if you want it to last, spend the money.

Ellipticals are my machine of choice - I opt for the gym membership personally. I hate stair climbers and treadmills. Semi-recumbent bikes would be my second choice.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wkxFWVGqUCg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wkxFWVGqUCg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I have a Gazzelle,you have to wear a cup when ya move the damn thing.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wkxFWVGqUCg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wkxFWVGqUCg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I don't think I have the legs for that.

Elliptical (30+ minutes, 6 times a week) + Atkins induction phase ( > 20 carbs a day) = mega fast results. Then, keep up the exercise and modify your diet to include lean meats, fresh fruit & vegetables and whole grains. Long term, severely limit your intake of sugar, refined flour (white bread, pastries & pasta), fried foods and potatoes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom