Expanding technology to the ball (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Sticky Post
Someone who’s a little more tech savvy than me might shoot this down or provide more information on it. It seem to me that gps chips have gotten small enough in size that we should be able to somehow incorporate one or more into the ball itself. I know it would take some work to make it so it didn’t effect the flight of the ball either while passing or kicking.
This would all be done to improve placement of the ball and to determine if the ball actually breaks the plane of the goal line. It would also be nice if something could be done with the field to detect the exact location of the ball.

UFCSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I think there’s a way to determine if the ball crosses the goal line or to determine exactly where it goes out of bounds on the sidelines. I read something about it a while back. The NFL has the technology, but hasn’t chosen to use it yet for whatever reason.
Oh I think we know the reason

FullMonte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
While we're at it, the ridiculous idea that we're still using chains on the yard markers should be addressed...
I agree. Simple solution. A gantry over the field with a visible laser that draws a red line on the field that everyone can see. In a close spot, there is no need to measure...a red line through the ball means it's a first down.

OP
Tony1Saintfan
Reaction score
I agree. Simple solution. A gantry over the field with a visible laser that draws a red line on the field that everyone can see. In a close spot, there is no need to measure...a red line through the ball means it's a first down.
That’s exactly what I’m talking about. It would take the subjective decisions of the refs out of the game. I’m for a more just call of the game that I am for us always getting the call in our favor which if you’ve been a Saints fan for more than a week knows that never happens. I’m not totally certain how the challenge flags work now but that is something that should be handled by the guys in New York.

Reaction score
Zebra tech can be easily used.

Tennis has been using this tech for awhile now with “hawk eye”. Works extremely well and the accuracy is by millimeters.

If a tennis ball flying 140mph can be tracked on thin white lines. A large football traveling 50mph can easily be tracked.

Seems like they just want the refs to make calls

tinman

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Zebra tech can be easily used.

Tennis has been using this tech for awhile now with “hawk eye”. Works extremely well and the accuracy is by millimeters.

If a tennis ball flying 140mph can be tracked on thin white lines. A large football traveling 50mph can easily be tracked.

Seems like they just want the refs to make calls
I do wonder if that "hawk eye" tech can read accurately through 10 large bodies. I doubt it. A ball in an unimpeded view is considerably more accurate to read, no matter the size/speed.

Treybad

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I also wonder if it is because time for advertisement. Advance technology would remove alot of down time, ill imagine without all the booth reviews, chain gangs, challenges etc, there would be alot of commercials either forced and feel out of place or will be played while watching the game. Advertising plays a big part of american TV and the success of NFL I doubt they want to give that up. BUT That is one thing i enjoy about watching Soccer, it feels more fluid to watch.
the time of games in the NFL and NCAAF for me are great especially when you compare it to the NBA or MLB.... NFL has way less down time than the others dont see that as a problem and if it were you would be correct less advertisement time is definitely not something the NFL would be trying to do lol

mikedre

Rookie
Reaction score
Not a gps chip but a sensor that would only signal at 1st down and goal line crossing.

Reaction score
I do wonder if that "hawk eye" tech can read accurately through 10 large bodies. I doubt it. A ball in an unimpeded view is considerably more accurate to read, no matter the size/speed.
They do that now with just regular cameras and Instant replay. So of course it can.

Ihartsaints

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Not a gps chip but a sensor that would only signal at 1st down and goal line crossing.
GPS uses a certain set of technologies, accurate timebases (cesium and rubidium clocks), etc to transmit a pseudo-random signal. There is no reason this technology must be constrained to satellites. A ground-based system is entirely practical. 6 transmitters radially around the field and one above the 50-yard line would give great coverage. Accuracies on the order of a few millimeters would be achievable. You would need two receivers in the ball, one at each end.

The tech exists. Only the will is missing.

FullMonte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Another suggestion....Change the color of the ball to something significantly brighter. Make it a color that can more easily be seen on instant replays. How many times have we seen a replay, and have to try and determine if what we are seeing is the ball or an elbow/knee?

tinman

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Another suggestion....Change the color of the ball to something significantly brighter. Make it a color that can more easily be seen on instant replays. How many times have we seen a replay, and have to try and determine if what we are seeing is the ball or an elbow/knee?
There was a "scientific" reason given when they stopped using white balls for night games.
NO, I'm not THAT old! lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom