Expanding technology to the ball (1 Viewer)

I don't see it ever happening in football because it's not the be all, end all solution.

For example, many times a player with the ball steps out of bounds while the ball itself is still inbounds. Knowing the path of the football through embedded sensors doesn't tell the refs where the ball was at the moment the player stepped out of bounds. That kind of play would still require the judgement of the sideline officials to spot the ball correctly, or near as correctly as humanly possible.

A mesh inside the outer layer of the football with a sensor stretching the length of the outer edge of the goal line. Seems simple enough in theory. But that would take major decisions out of the refs hands. Nfl can’t have that.
BINGO

I think there’s a way to determine if the ball crosses the goal line or to determine exactly where it goes out of bounds on the sidelines. I read something about it a while back. The NFL has the technology, but hasn’t chosen to use it yet for whatever reason.

Oh I think we know the reason

While we're at it, the ridiculous idea that we're still using chains on the yard markers should be addressed...

I agree. Simple solution. A gantry over the field with a visible laser that draws a red line on the field that everyone can see. In a close spot, there is no need to measure...a red line through the ball means it's a first down.

I agree. Simple solution. A gantry over the field with a visible laser that draws a red line on the field that everyone can see. In a close spot, there is no need to measure...a red line through the ball means it's a first down.
That’s exactly what I’m talking about. It would take the subjective decisions of the refs out of the game. I’m for a more just call of the game that I am for us always getting the call in our favor which if you’ve been a Saints fan for more than a week knows that never happens. I’m not totally certain how the challenge flags work now but that is something that should be handled by the guys in New York.

Zebra tech can be easily used.

Tennis has been using this tech for awhile now with “hawk eye”. Works extremely well and the accuracy is by millimeters.

If a tennis ball flying 140mph can be tracked on thin white lines. A large football traveling 50mph can easily be tracked.

Seems like they just want the refs to make calls

Zebra tech can be easily used.

Tennis has been using this tech for awhile now with “hawk eye”. Works extremely well and the accuracy is by millimeters.

If a tennis ball flying 140mph can be tracked on thin white lines. A large football traveling 50mph can easily be tracked.

Seems like they just want the refs to make calls
I do wonder if that "hawk eye" tech can read accurately through 10 large bodies. I doubt it. A ball in an unimpeded view is considerably more accurate to read, no matter the size/speed.

I also wonder if it is because time for advertisement. Advance technology would remove alot of down time, ill imagine without all the booth reviews, chain gangs, challenges etc, there would be alot of commercials either forced and feel out of place or will be played while watching the game. Advertising plays a big part of american TV and the success of NFL I doubt they want to give that up. BUT That is one thing i enjoy about watching Soccer, it feels more fluid to watch.
the time of games in the NFL and NCAAF for me are great especially when you compare it to the NBA or MLB.... NFL has way less down time than the others dont see that as a problem and if it were you would be correct less advertisement time is definitely not something the NFL would be trying to do lol

Not a gps chip but a sensor that would only signal at 1st down and goal line crossing.

I do wonder if that "hawk eye" tech can read accurately through 10 large bodies. I doubt it. A ball in an unimpeded view is considerably more accurate to read, no matter the size/speed.
They do that now with just regular cameras and Instant replay. So of course it can.

Not a gps chip but a sensor that would only signal at 1st down and goal line crossing.

GPS uses a certain set of technologies, accurate timebases (cesium and rubidium clocks), etc to transmit a pseudo-random signal. There is no reason this technology must be constrained to satellites. A ground-based system is entirely practical. 6 transmitters radially around the field and one above the 50-yard line would give great coverage. Accuracies on the order of a few millimeters would be achievable. You would need two receivers in the ball, one at each end.

The tech exists. Only the will is missing.

Another suggestion....Change the color of the ball to something significantly brighter. Make it a color that can more easily be seen on instant replays. How many times have we seen a replay, and have to try and determine if what we are seeing is the ball or an elbow/knee?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom