Expect the Jets to blitz alot this Sunday (1 Viewer)

rsonza

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
You would think the Jets would try to copy what worked from last Sunday's game w/ the Bills, in which the Bills played zone coverage against Brees and simply rushed four, all of whom actually brought some decent pressure. The result: Brees had the lowest passing output and passing percentage this year, resulting in only 10 pts through 3 quarters.

BUT, after reading Jets' coach Rex Ryan's conference call, he's going to do what they do best, and that's blitz the quarterback:

With any quarterback, we're going to try to hit. We're going to try to make sure that he's not comfortable back there, no matter what it takes each week. If that means that we can rush three or if it means we have to rush four, five, six or seven or eight - whatever it takes, we're not going to let him sit back there and beat us to death, I promise you that.

I think we'll do some things defensively that probably aren't really traditional, so it's going to be a lot tougher. If you play traditional coverages against him time after time, he's going to wear you out

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2009/09/new_york_jets_coach_rex_ryans.html

Yeah. I was a little surprised to see that. But, at the same time it won't be that simple for the Saints offense. Every blitz play will be disguised and it will be very difficult to know who's blitzing for the Jets on each and every play.

It will be Drew's job to recognize it quickly and distribute the ball accordingly.

You would think the Jets would try to copy what worked from last Sunday's game w/ the Bills, in which the Bills played zone coverage against Brees and simply rushed four, all of whom actually brought some decent pressure. The result: Brees had the lowest passing output and passing percentage this year, resulting in only 10 pts through 3 quarters.

BUT, after reading Jets' coach Rex Ryan's conference call, he's going to do what they do best, and that's blitz the quarterback:

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2009/09/new_york_jets_coach_rex_ryans.html
In the superdome Drew Brees is basically perfect vs the blitz.....he went 6 for 6 vs 2 or more blitzers in the 4th vs the eagles. Brees numbers had a lot more to do with wind and fewer called pass plays than it did the pressure put on by the bills. Brees wont try to fit the ball into a tight window when he is playing in swirling wind........which wont be a problem in the dome.

Not saying pressure wont be a factor in the game.....but there was a lot more to it than that.

I would expect nothing less from Buddy Ryan's son. The other side of that is, Gregg Williams is also a Buddy Ryan disciple and our offense has to practice against that kind of defense all the time. I would think Rex would have to be ultra creative to throw something at us that the offense is not ready for or that they have not allready seen in practice from our own defense.

It feels good to know that Drew watches more game tape than the Jets coaching staff does.

There won't be the wind as the 12th man. Drew had Devery on a definite TD if the wind didn't beat that one ball down.

In the superdome Drew Brees is basically perfect vs the blitz.....he went 6 for 6 vs 2 or more blitzers in the 4th vs the eagles. Brees numbers had a lot more to do with wind and fewer called pass plays than it did the pressure put on by the bills. Brees wont try to fit the ball into a tight window when he is playing in swirling wind........which wont be a problem in the dome.

Not saying pressure wont be a factor in the game.....but there was a lot more to it than that.

Actually, I read that Buffalo's game-day conditions were actually pretty good. Some wind, but not horrible conditions, in order to throw the ball effectively. I would credit the Buffalo defense, esp the pressure from their front 4 AND their zone coverage, than the wind.

That said, the best way to combat Brees is probably a combination of the above pressure, like what Buffalo did, and multiple looks from a blitzing D like the Jets. We'll see. It'll be a good matchup and a good chess game for sure.

There won't be the wind as the 12th man. Drew had Devery on a definite TD if the wind didn't beat that one ball down.

For that matter, so did Trent Edwards with T.O. on what I think would've been the go-ahead TD.

I think Ryan needs to spend a little more time worrying about how his Jets are going to slow down GW's boys when they attack his prize rookie QB with blitzes 60% of the time.

I truly hope we embarrass them just like Philly.

I think what we aren't acknowledging is in the first line of the Rex quote "With any quarterback, we're going to try to hit." Field position is going to be key in this game. If we are backed up in our zone, Rex will take the 15 yd flag or allow the completion just to get the hit in. I think we'll see SP call a lot more rushing than passing and therefore a lower point output than a lot of you are predicting. Remember they hit Brady 23 times, sure he completed quite a few of those, but the hits take thier toll.

If pt catches fire, then the passes will come, but we need to be able to run the ball if for nothing else, to not leave drew open to multiple cheap shots

Wow, he didn't even pay lip service to Brees. I guess if you can beat the Patriots, you can do ANYTHING, right?

Are you kidding? He said "Brees will kill you if you play traditional coverages" - that's a hell of a compliment. Jets will do what they do best. If you guys beat us when we're playing our game, hats off to you, you're the better team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom